Did you pay an import tax?
No, I did not.
29.03%
Yes, I did.
70.97%
124 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Did you have to pay import tax on your PBP?
(11-03-2019, 08:54 AM)rick1959 Wrote: We in the US may yet get stung.....So this may not be over for us here in the US... :-)

Technically, you may be on the hook for some state and local "Use Taxes." Those aren't frequently enforced, but they're going to be a lot lower than what the EU people pay. You'll probably have to pay them next April or so if you do, and it's usually equivalent to your state sales tax rate. (so it'd be about $16 here for the PBP.)
I've just received mine... Spain mainland (Madrid) 88,37 euros... Angry
Yup, about $112 (US), in local currency. Rs. 7,943.  Angry
got mine delivered to India.
(11-04-2019, 05:06 AM)kazriko Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 08:54 AM)rick1959 Wrote: We in the US may yet get stung.....So this may not be over for us here in the US... :-)

Technically, you may be on the hook for some state and local "Use Taxes." Those aren't frequently enforced, but they're going to be a lot lower than what the EU people pay. You'll probably have to pay them next April or so if you do, and it's usually equivalent to your state sales tax rate. (so it'd be about $16 here for the PBP.)

With increasing changes to tax law regarding Internet sales, it would seem that some folks here in the US might get a bill. But that is likely state specific, rather than nationwide...Here in Florida, that doesn't seem to e the case....At the moment :-)
Holland, Yes: advanced vat and vat 65 euros.
DHL charged me very nearly GB£50 (fifty english pounds sterling) last week when the parcel was on its way.

I collected it this morning from their customer service centre about 15 miles west of Cambridge.

I see that different people in the UK paid DHL different amounts, so I can only imagine that they work out part of the handling fee based on the sender's country's currency and convert that into GB pounds, so depending on currency fluctations depends on the exact price people have paid?
Montreal, Quebec, Canada

And it was just under $60 CAD (forget the exact amount).
Yes, Edinburgh, Scotland, and the usual £50 via DHL.
Switzerland, I had nothing to pay, literraly 0.

This is very surprising considering we are outside EU and we always pay a lot of tax and tariffs on imported goods...

Maybe I just had a huge luck...
I feel the question formulated in the poll gives rise to some misunderstanding.
There are various fees possible when importing stuff.

I understand the term "import tax" as customs duty.
Nobody pays that in the EU because the import of notebooks into the EU is duty free.
This may be different for non-EU countries - I hear San Marino is expensive Wink

If what you mean is value added tax, then yes, everybody has to pay that. The amount varies by country. It is 19% in Germany, for example.
Since you are paying it as the good is imported over a state border it is also sometimes called "import turnover tax".

Additionally, it is DHL who pays the VAT (and possibly duty fee) as the good transitions the border. For this advance payment they charge you additionally.

So, if you live in Germany the exact amount that you pay for the PBP is

$238,99 to the partner of pine64 for the device and DHL Express delivery
= 224,04€ (as converted by Paypal in late August)

+ 41,08 € for VAT
+ 14,88 € for DHL's advance payment service

makes a total of 280€ to get your hands on a PBP at your doorstep.
(Of course, the exact amount various slightly with the USD and EUR conversion rate)

The only confusing bit for me is that customs seem to determine the VAT based on the $238,99 - and not only the net worth of $199 of the PBP. I'm wondering whether the value of the package is declared too high at the customs.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Europe/EU import duties/taxes ? 46enip 3 5,743 05-28-2020, 03:34 AM
Last Post: veetech
  CE marking / documentation for EU import tomatic 3 4,666 11-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Last Post: tomatic