Did you pay an import tax?
No, I did not.
29.03%
Yes, I did.
70.97%
124 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Did you have to pay import tax on your PBP?
Still not received my pbp, but since when I ordered it I already paid in advance "$39.00 via Pinebook DHL Shipping", what is the additional "DHL handling fee" they are requesting ? Racketeering ?
(11-07-2019, 09:38 AM)Kochise Wrote: Still not received my pbp, but since when I ordered it I already paid in advance "$39.00 via Pinebook DHL Shipping", what is the additional "DHL handling fee" they are requesting ? Racketeering ?

DHL charge basic $39 for delivery only but do not include any import or tax fees.

When the order actually passes through customs the appropriate VAT/Import fee (plus an additional DHL handling fee), whatever, is determined then demanded by DHL as a charge before they will continue their delivery.

After the online charge has been paid the delivery will happen - usually quite quickly.

All but USA mainland appear to getting a VAT charge plus a DHL charge handling fee  Sad
"DHL handling fee", you mean the thing that is processed automatically ? They are asking $30-$50 for this ? Again, racketeering ?
(11-07-2019, 11:02 AM)Kochise Wrote: "DHL handling fee", you mean the thing that is processed automatically ? They are asking $30-$50 for this ? Again, racketeering ?

In the UK the Royal Mail usually handle incoming parcels and any Import, or more often VAT, charge required incurs a minimum £8 handling fee on top of the charge. 

Which might be cheap enough until you buy something for, say £20, from China/US/wherever.
You get a £4 VAT charge (20%) plus the £8 handling fee which now bumps the original price from £20 to £32 - not so cheap.

On this $200 computer the VAT would be typically $40 or rough equivalent and DHL add something like a 25% handling fee for that part.

On the visible part of my delivery paperwork showing on the parcel the biggest boldest number was $239 (Pinebook inc DHL delivery fee) - I wonder if the import/VAT was based on that figure and not the items true cost of $200?

It might be a racket but Customs is the bigger money-grabber
I though all this hassle was included in the "$39.00 via Pinebook DHL Shipping" already. Otherwise why paying DHL in the first place ? It's like going to McDonald and asking for a $8 Happy Meal, but then you get an $4 additional "handling fee" plus $3 "whatever tax". Happy Deal.
(11-07-2019, 12:49 PM)Kochise Wrote: I though all this hassle was included in the "$39.00 via Pinebook DHL Shipping" already. Otherwise why paying DHL in the first place ? It's like going to McDonald and asking for a $8 Happy Meal, but then you get an $4 additional "handling fee" plus $3 "whatever tax". Happy Deal.

Not quite - try purchasing a happy meal from another country and try to get it posted back to you!

With typical Chinese vendors on the likes of Ebay you can get free/dirt cheap postage that takes a month to arrive and *might* get stung by customs - if so then your postal service may charge VAT and their handling fee for processing. Many vendors cheat and devalue the package marking to $5-$10 to try to sneak past customs.

Or you pay for guaranteed DHL 3-day delivery for $40 but if your country demands Import/VAT then that will be extra plus handling fee for the VAT/Import processing.

Somehow USA dodges the VAT/Import fees Huh
Ok for the explanations, that remains quite a large cost that should be lessened by the volume of parcels. Dealing with customs doesn't requires filling papers for 2h hence asking for $30-$50 with an average work cost of $20/h.
Netherlands, some 63 Euros. Tax 45 Euros, DHL almost 18 Euros for excellence simply NOT delivered, again.
Shipped to Australia - no import taxes.
Thought I may have to pay 10% gst, but fortunately not - very happy.
Croatia, cca 70€...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Europe/EU import duties/taxes ? 46enip 3 5,743 05-28-2020, 03:34 AM
Last Post: veetech
  CE marking / documentation for EU import tomatic 3 4,669 11-03-2019, 12:36 AM
Last Post: tomatic