Pinebook Pro for university
Hey guys,

I am a first year computer science student, and I'm really thinking about getting a Pinebook Pro to bring with myself to classes. I would use it for web browsing, viewing pdf and office files, note taking, writing code and compiling in multiple languages (c#, c, java, etc.).

Do you think this device would be a good choice for something like this?

(I already have a computer, but I can't take it with me to classes)
If you don't need special x86 software I'd say yes. Disclaimer: My Pinebook is still on the way, so no firsthand information.
Hello there,

I do not have the Pro Version yet, but i can say if you know yourself around linux a bit you can absolutely use it as such. Somewhere on this Site it says "not suitable for a daily driver" (the OG Pinebook) but i've been using it as such for over a year now and loving it because you can charge it on any USB Port.
Mostly terminal work/reading pdf/LibreOffice (also works well)/YT Tutorials/light programming...

Now the difficult part would be compiling, i only scripted sh and python (no compiler) and it worked of course.
Compiling C++ or Java is a quite heavy Task i think. So i imagine the gcc compiler on the Pinebook Pro will take some time to compile. You can also let a server compile it for you, i believe there are services like that (or your own server/PC at home)

I will try it out on my OG Pinebook tho. Im curious now.

Edit: tried a light C++ Program i wrote a few years back with Code::Blocks and compiled it via gcc. works like a charm.
Still in heavier projects im sure it'll take some time to compile.
Hello FBI,
I am not an actual hacker.
(10-16-2019, 11:40 AM)arcsi05 Wrote: Hey guys,

I am a first year computer science student, and I'm really thinking about getting a Pinebook Pro to bring with myself to classes. I would use it for web browsing, viewing pdf and office files, note taking, writing code and compiling in multiple languages (c#, c, java, etc.).

Do you think this device would be a good choice for something like this?

(I already have a computer, but I can't take it with me to classes)

C, likely. the compiles might be slower than you're used to.
Java, Probably. OracleJDK only supports up to version 8 on ARM, not 11 or 13. Otherwise OpenJDK could work. It covers a lot of the Java API.
C#, maybe. If you can get away with just the parts of the API that Mono supports, it might work. That's a subset of the entire .net api though, so you might encounter some stuff that doesn't work.

I don't see any problem with running Libreoffice, pdf readers, or doing light web browsing on it.
My personal opinion, Pinebook Pro is not yet ready for the kind of work the original poster listed.
Meaning school, like some jobs, the applications just need to work. Can't have a do-over.

Give it / us 6 months, and maybe we will have an answer. A year, we would know for certain on
all those tasks, like how long compiling runs on all those languages. And other potential limitations.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
I'm willing to take the risk, also I would love to contribute to such an amazing community.

( I will still have another computer if something doesn't work on the PBP  Big Grin )
(10-20-2019, 01:07 PM)arcsi05 Wrote: I'm willing to take the risk, also I would love to contribute to such an amazing community.

That's great to hear. Eyes wide open to the potential problems... but doing it anyway! Awesome.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,918 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 305 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 240 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 231 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 168 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 559 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 623 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,242 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,001 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,170 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt