Pine book Pro Speakers
Just curious,  Could the speakers be reversed to point up instead of down  ? (They are mounted within the palm rest)
 From the pictures I have seen they do appear to be held in place by the edges of the speakers.  (?)
  Being slightly hard of hearing myself,
        I do appreciate my current laptops that have the speakers pointed up.
IF you have your laptop sitting on a soft surface, like the bed, or the couch, or your lap,
         it very effectively mutes the sound of speakers on the bottom of the case.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
There's oddly almost no feedback about the speakers from what I've seen thus far. Lets get the units and see how they sound before doing something over the top.

Personally, I wouldn't attempt such a mod until spare parts are available. Once they are in - go wild Big Grin

The bottom of the body and the back of the display are made from magnesium. The top of the main body (surrounding the keyboard) is made from plastic. (It still feels weird calling it like this - from my brief time with Luke's prototype unit, this thing feels solid! Some fancier word like polycarbonate resonates better with how I feel about it.)

You could drill speaker grills and try to swap the facing position. For now, I'm not taking into account if this would cause some structural issues or it would interfere with the keyboard. That's why it's better to wait for the spare parts if you would like to do it on your own. And add something to prevent dust from entering the unit if you do try such hardware mod Smile
I am just kinda wondering out-loud....
I have laptops with both up facing and down facing speakers....
so far I prefer the up facing...
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
You can always turn down your sound or even mute it if you want, BUT if you cannot hear it when you turn it up to maximum, it can be frustrating.
There does appear to be a lot of room in the palm rest at the outer edges.
As Far as catching liquids or crumbs is concerned, You have a much bigger target and expense if you spill something in your keyboard.. ?
It would be quite easy to just cut/drill the palm rest and reverse the speaker position, but making that change and keeping it attractive are two different birds.
>> I do like the fact that the speakers look relatively large for such a small laptop.
So I am not complaining, Just adding to the 'Wishlist'
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-17-2019, 08:21 PM)bcnaz Wrote: You can always turn down your sound or even mute it if you want,   BUT if you cannot hear it when you turn it up to maximum,  it can be frustrating.
There does appear to be a lot of room in the palm rest at the outer edges.
As Far as catching liquids or crumbs is concerned,  You have a much bigger target and expense if you spill something in your keyboard..  ?
It would be quite easy to just cut/drill the palm rest and reverse the speaker position,  but making that change and keeping it attractive are two different birds.  
>>  I do like the fact that the speakers look relatively large for such a small laptop.
 So I am not complaining,  Just adding to the   'Wishlist'

I just been playing with my PBP received today. And I was a little surprised that they seemed to have a narrow dynamic range. That have something to do with the direction they are facing? 
Be interesting to see if there's a way to expand their range with equalization or some other method...Just my two cents worth....
I am not familiar with the Mate desktop, perhaps there is something in their software (store) selection you could easily add, for equalizing ?
But even just for test purposes lift up the lower part of the laptop to point the speakers at you, does that make a noticeable difference.?
maybe the speakers are affected, by being against the surface they are sitting on ?

Glad you got yours to mess with, I can hardly wait to get mine ! ! !
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-19-2019, 07:59 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I am not familiar with the Mate desktop, perhaps there is something in their software (store) selection you could easily add,  for equalizing  ?
But even just for test purposes lift up the lower part of the laptop to point the speakers at you, does that make a noticeable difference.?
  maybe the speakers are affected,    by being against the surface they are sitting on ?

Glad you got yours to mess with,  I can hardly wait to get mine  ! ! !

Thanks for the ideas!! Won't have a chance to try it out more today, but I'll let you know how goes as the testing goes on...
and remember, IT'S WORTH THE WAIT!!! :-)
(10-19-2019, 07:59 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I am not familiar with the Mate desktop

It's a fork of gnome 2
eb, thank you

Since PBP comes with Mate/Stretch, would that also conflict with Buster ? (Anyone ? )

I meant would that make Mate not able to upgrade in the future to Buster, as Gnome is not compatible as a desktop with Buster.
"Wayland" from MIT is integral to the new Buster-Debian, and as per Debians original release notes, on release day is NOT compatible with Gnome desktop.
:-(
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Wayland is the default in Buster but the option to run Gnome is X11 is still available if you have concerns that the Gnome/Wayland experience isn't right for you.
PineTime: wasp-os and MicroPython, Pinebook Pro:  Debian Bullseye

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Book Pro Charging Problems balin 7 6,701 12-15-2022, 02:15 PM
Last Post: tomasgreenro
  how to get rid of heavy distortion from the speakers? stozi 2 1,883 02-20-2022, 05:46 AM
Last Post: stozi
  Up-firing speakers!!! mamboman777 6 5,142 07-28-2021, 02:54 PM
Last Post: mamboman777
  If booted with headphones in, sound comes from them and speakers stozi 6 5,365 06-11-2021, 01:27 AM
Last Post: dsimic
  Pine Key + Backspace/Arrow Keys not registering tslight 3 4,183 06-13-2020, 11:31 PM
Last Post: xmixahlx
  A request to anyone with a Pinebook pro / other Pine device.. account3122 14 18,860 06-05-2020, 02:52 AM
Last Post: icecream95
  Issues connecting bluetooth headphones and speakers jamathis 2 3,868 12-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Last Post: jamathis