Pine book Pro motherboard future upgrades ?
I am wondering if a year or two years in the future the Pine book Pro will have a replacement motherboard that will run the solid-state NVMe drive as easily as the current one runs the EMMc drive.?

I will definitely purchase that motherboard  !

Meanwhile I will be happy with the one I purchased.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-11-2019, 07:18 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am wondering if a year or two years in the future the Pine book Pro will have a replacement motherboard that will run the solid-state NVMe drive as easily as the current one runs the EMMc drive.?

Does that require different hardware though?  I've been following the threads on nvme and how to maximize speed out of it given that you can't boot directly off of it, but I'm not familiar with ultra-low-level tech like that (my background is software dev, but I know absolutely nothing about firmware dev, u-boot, or most hardware).  I would *think* it's just a matter of using a different firmware (that may or may not actually exist), but I don't know that for sure.
(10-15-2019, 10:26 AM)binarian Wrote:
(10-11-2019, 07:18 PM)bcnaz Wrote: I am wondering if a year or two years in the future the Pine book Pro will have a replacement motherboard that will run the solid-state NVMe drive as easily as the current one runs the EMMc drive.?

Does that require different hardware though?  I've been following the threads on nvme and how to maximize speed out of it given that you can't boot directly off of it, but I'm not familiar with ultra-low-level tech like that (my background is software dev, but I know absolutely nothing about firmware dev, u-boot, or most hardware).  I would *think* it's just a matter of using a different firmware (that may or may not actually exist), but I don't know that for sure.
1)  I am not the ideal person to ask that Question.
2)  Luke has mentioned else where,  in previous posts and videos that "Upgradeable motherboards will likely be available in the future"
> I am not sure what you mean by different hardware  ?
> I could see them making minor changes, like maybe supplying a little more power to the M.2 NVMe SSD,  or making it easier to change the boot order...
....BUT If there are big changes,  they would most likely label it as a new model.
>  You can boot indirectly from the PCIe/NVMe  but you need to understand HOW to do that.
......(That is a bit over my head at the moment, but maybe I could Learn)
  ....This a Community Driven Site/Operation,  Anyone that wants to,  can learn something.

* z4v4l seems like a Great person that may answer your questions about booting firmware
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pine Dock Networking Issue trillobite 1 160 02-10-2024, 12:03 AM
Last Post: trillobite
  Future RK3588 model blorp 21 18,796 12-14-2022, 01:20 PM
Last Post: bosi564
  Motherboard malfunction - a possible warning about power supplies mjc 8 6,860 07-28-2021, 01:04 PM
Last Post: mjc
  Center touchpad under typing keys in future versions? Damon 3 4,923 03-21-2020, 02:01 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  Cannot input Pine+Arrow korneliuszo 1 2,514 01-10-2020, 02:32 PM
Last Post: tophneal
  Future ANSI Keyboard Option? Updates? u974615 6 8,749 11-04-2019, 11:40 PM
Last Post: Der Geist der Maschine