Development Environment on the Pinebook Pro
Hi, I wanted to set up my development environment today, my favorite editor is Atom and that's why I wanted to build it for ARM. Before, I had read that it should be quite easy on the Raspberry Pi, but I had a lot of problems. So far, I have not gotten Atom to build. Does anyone have experience or even a deb package? If I manage to build it and you are interested, I would share my deb package. Do you have cool editors which would be an alternative to Atom and are already compiled for ARM?
(10-05-2019, 07:25 PM)mynameiscalvin Wrote: Hi, I wanted to set up my development environment today, my favorite editor is Atom and that's why I wanted to build it for ARM. Before, I had read that it should be quite easy on the Raspberry Pi, but I had a lot of problems. So far, I have not gotten Atom to build. Does anyone have experience or even a deb package? If I manage to build it and you are interested, I would share my deb package. Do you have cool editors which would be an alternative to Atom and are already compiled for ARM?

I'm glad you brought that up.  I'm sure many people will want to set up a development environment on the PBP. 

I was planning on installing Atom on my PBP.  Although, I hadn't considered the ARM issue.

I wonder which editors the Pine64 devs might be using if they are working on Pine machines  Huh
(10-06-2019, 10:40 AM)zaius Wrote: I wonder which editors the Pine64 devs might be using if they are working on Pine machines  Huh

As on the Pinebook 1080p, I'll be using Vim primarily - doing my best to keep as many cores idle as possible as often as possible, to extend battery life.
Leonora Tindall | https:///nora.codes
Pinebook 1080p / Pinebook Pro / Pinephone UBPorts CE
VScode has an unofficial ARM build that might work. I don't have experience with Atom or a PBP to run it on so can't help there yet.
Hmm, my plan is to use vim most of the time (and update my setup for it - I need to get better with switching the active view and the splits).

Just as @CampGareth said, Visual Studio Code has an arm build as well and it's great alternative (should be the open source version of VSCode).

Depending on what you need, maybe take a look at Intellij Community Edition for Java (there are threads ever since the first Samsung Chromebook with ARM aka snow).

Geany, Code::blocks, PyCharm Community and Codelite are also on my radar (even if it's just for having them there).

If Atom is a must, it's always a good idea to try and share your experience. Little by little it could be brought to a working state.

There are lots of options. It's one of the reasons which makes me excited to get a PBP- to be encouraged to do experimentation Smile
(10-05-2019, 07:25 PM)mynameiscalvin Wrote: Hi, I wanted to set up my development environment today, my favorite editor is Atom and that's why I wanted to build it for ARM. Before, I had read that it should be quite easy on the Raspberry Pi, but I had a lot of problems. So far, I have not gotten Atom to build. Does anyone have experience or even a deb package? If I manage to build it and you are interested, I would share my deb package. Do you have cool editors which would be an alternative to Atom and are already compiled for ARM?

On my AMD ryzen, I do use vim and sway.
So I will keep using that  Tongue
Looks like older builds of the headmelted vscode build do work.

They are so old i hesitate to recommend using them, but this is what you need to get it going.

Code:
# Install package cloud repo
curl -s https://packagecloud.io/install/repositories/headmelted/codebuilds/script.deb.sh | sudo bash
# Install code-oss
sudo apt install code-oss=1.29.0-1539702286
# Prevent upgrade
sudo apt-mark hold code-oss

I'm on Ubuntu mate, so ymmv
I just installed IntelliJ IDEA on my Pinebook, working without any problems!

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
(11-04-2019, 10:57 PM)electriccrowbar Wrote: Looks like older builds of the headmelted vscode build do work.

They are so old i hesitate to recommend using them

That's what I ended up using. For whatever reason a more up to date version just did not want to compile. Either node.js was running out of memory or it was finding type errors which you'd think are obvious enough for someone to hit on x86 too. 

My usual tools are VScode, terraform, Docker and Golang so I'm pretty much set but the old version of VScode is still bugging me.
Very interested in this thread. I was able to install Eclipse CDT in the stock OS, but after moving to Ubuntu, Eclipse starts and then crashes immediately. There is not a lot of support for Eclipse running on ARM, so I decided to try Atom (as suggested here). No luck so far. I cloned the github project, and was able to get it to build, but installing would not work (architecture problem).

I am much more efficient with an IDE, so hopefully I can get something running soon. I'm just not wired to use VIM. Although I am becoming more proficient with GDB.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 8 450 03-22-2024, 03:57 PM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,126 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 1,921 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 1,981 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,674 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 994 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 4,931 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,326 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,426 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 608 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap