Development Environment on the Pinebook Pro
(07-10-2020, 12:49 PM)gabeeg Wrote: Anybody having an issue with vscodium-bin 1.47.0-1 that was released today?  It starts...but I get just a blank VScodium screen with menus that will drop down...but nothing else responds....

Yeah same here... running `code --verbose` gives a bunch of sqlite errors/exceptions - don't know if that is 'normal' though..
Have you tried to remove (or rename) any existing .vscode-oss folder holding the installed extensions?
Broken for me too, I even tried deleting the .config folder.
Bug was filed on github/vscodium. Thanks all!
(10-07-2019, 03:03 AM)PakoSt Wrote: Hmm, my plan is to use vim most of the time (and update my setup for it - I need to get better with switching the active view and the splits).

Just as @CampGareth said, Visual Studio Code has an arm build as well and it's great alternative (should be the open source version of VSCode).

Depending on what you need, maybe take a look at Intellij Community Edition for Java (there are threads ever since the first Samsung Chromebook with ARM aka snow).

Geany, Code::blocks, PyCharm Community and Codelite are also on my radar (even if it's just for having them there).

If Atom is a must, it's always a good idea to try and share your experience. Little by little it could be brought to a working state.

There are lots of options. It's one of the reasons which makes me excited to get a PBP- to be encouraged to do experimentation Smile

My lovely wife just bought me a Pinebook Pro for my birthday. Slated to ship mid-August.

Definitely plan to try IntelliJ Ultimate/Pycharm and report back. Gonna be a tight squeeze with 4G but I look forward to giving it a whirl. Definitely have heard from others that the unofficial VSCode ARM build works on the PBPro, so there's always that as a fallback - their Python extension and Pylance Python language server come well recommended.

Super excited to join the fray Smile
@feoh , if you will use Manjaro, for VS Code you can use headmelted from AUR.

For IntelliJ things - don't use JDK8 as it's broken on aarch64. I think I'm using this package with the latest OpenJDK (was 13 at the time, now should be 14). OpenJDK11 is good as well.
IntelliJ IDEs need JDK to operate, so that' the only tricky bit with them.

You don't need to be so worried about the memory. Manjaro comes with zswap enabled by default if I recall correctly.

Correction - for JetBrains IDEs Big Grin Not just IntelliJ specifically.

Device: Pinebook Pro 128GB No:246 / MainOS: Manjaro ARM
Godot and Flutter - creating something can be fun with the right tools!
(07-24-2020, 06:10 AM)PakoSt Wrote: @feoh , if you will use Manjaro, for VS Code you can use headmelted from AUR.

For IntelliJ things - don't use JDK8 as it's broken on aarch64. I think I'm using this package with the latest OpenJDK (was 13 at the time, now should be 14). OpenJDK11 is good as well.
IntelliJ IDEs need JDK to operate, so that' the only tricky bit with them.

You don't need to be so worried about the memory. Manjaro comes with zswap enabled by default if I recall correctly.

Correction - for JetBrains IDEs Big Grin Not just IntelliJ specifically.

Very nice thank you for the advice!

I will definitely be running the stock Manjaro initially. I'm a big fan of Elementary OS so I'm keen on helping them get that running, but this will be a good opportunity to really get my feet wet with an Arch based distro as I've never tried one before.
(06-18-2020, 06:00 AM)gophix Wrote: Hello,

I've created a package build script for atom and built it for manjaro linux (see releases).
If you are interested in, look at https://github.com/gophix/pinebook_pro and test it. So far I've installed PlatformIO, but nothing more...

Cheers!
This version of Atom or the latest platformio (not sure who is to blame - don't really care) suffers the same bug reported here:

https://community.platformio.org/t/2-7-1-upgrade-killed-my-platformio-ide-and-how-i-fixed-it/14504

w
hich prevents using Atom for direct ESP32/ESP8266 development.  The fix is to use apm from the command line; but, apm is not installed be the pacman install process.  There is a copy of apm generated and located in:

..../pinebook_pro/atom/src/atom/out/atom-1.48.0-arm64/resources/app/apm/bin

which works fine for installing the old version of platformio.  I was able to successfully load the platformio package by changing to the above directory and entering the following in a command shell (bash - Konsole):

./apm install platformio-ide@2.6.0

A word of warning, I have not yet actually built and run any Espressif code, but it does appear happier than before.
Thanks again for the Atom script.
Mike
Visual Studio Code now supports ARM 32 and 64-bit, so we don't need these custom builds any more. Well, if you care about the telemetry you would but not me personally.

The reason I switched to the official build is that the extension store has Microsoft's extensions available.

I was really surprised how well it was working, even the C/C++ extension is fully wokring in Manjaro ARM!
I'm a web developer who usually relies on VSCode as well, so I completely understand your pain here.  I've been trying to use this as an opportunity to finally force myself to learn NeoVim (or vim).  I'm not jumping in with BOTH feet yet, but I'm getting there.  My goal is to make my PBP a super light weight and minimal dev machine.

So I actually installed a bare Manjaro CLI and installed Sway and only what I need.  The result is a quick PBP, but some learning for sure.  The trackpad on this thing is ROUGH, so my thinking is, the more I get used to keyboard driven editing and navigation the better.. lessons I hope to bring into all my computers.

Good luck, and I might do a post about my NeoVim dev setup at some point.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian on Pinebook Pro u974615 7 990 03-31-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro upgrading from the factory image yamsoup 12 1,547 02-22-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Help installing Manjaro on eMMC of Pinebook Pro pine4546464 4 2,129 12-13-2023, 07:22 PM
Last Post: trillobite
  Need Help Recovering Manjaro /boot Contents on Pinebook Pro calinb 6 2,196 12-11-2023, 03:47 AM
Last Post: calinb
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 88,474 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Boot Order in Pinebook Pro food 8 1,222 11-23-2023, 07:37 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PineBook Pro seems to go to deep sleep, but doesn't wake up pogo 11 5,245 08-31-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Would a Pinebook Pro be good for a Linux newbie? cassado10 6 1,471 08-08-2023, 04:58 AM
Last Post: moobythegoldensock
  Install deepin OS on pinebook pro wangyukunshan 4 1,568 08-07-2023, 01:12 PM
Last Post: myself600
  Kali Linux for Pinebook Pro - stuck on the login screen owaspfap 0 657 07-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Last Post: owaspfap