LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-21-2020, 08:36 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 06:52 PM)bcnaz Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 01:07 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 01:25 PM)oowensby Wrote: I sent my email on 2/22 and haven't received any reply.

Just check with info team, all email, including fall into spam mail, before March 14 already replied. Please resend your email again to info@pine64.org. Thanks.

@tllim 

Do we need to request the updated parts if we purchased the pcie adapter in the past, or will they just send us the updated parts automatically ?

Thanks

You can request, the original plan is send out automatically and will do so on next week. Please noted that only first batch about 100 plus got affected. If you already have slim holder (as right one on photo), you are good.

How can this be correct? The February update also talks about 2 revisions of boards (https://www.pine64.org/2020/02/15/februa...us-report/)
(https://www.pine64.org/wp-content/upload...apter.jpeg)
As listed in the update, I definitely have the old adapter board. I sent email to that info email address, and only got a reply talking about the slim holder. I sent followups, but heard nothing back. I have the correct holder, but the very much incorrect board. I'm order 115971. I'd really like to be able to get the corrected board(2019-0809). What can I do to get the updated board?

Thanks.
...  Not certain that there is a 'different' adapter board,  I think electrically the original board did work,
I think the problem has been the clearance (or lack of)  ...  to the touch pad has been the main problem.

* >  danielT and wizard have some very good picture posts of making the original adapter work.

EDIT :
So I did read your 'link'
Guess the revised edition is a bit longer, but it still uses the same ribbon cable.
One of the do-it-yourself fixes is to shorten the board... (?)
I particulariy like the danielT method as he does use a full sized SSD....

>> There are other considerations, such as shorter battery life when running these SSD's....
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(03-29-2020, 08:34 PM)sunsmoke Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 01:07 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-16-2020, 01:25 PM)oowensby Wrote: I sent my email on 2/22 and haven't received any reply.

Just check with info team, all email, including fall into spam mail, before March 14 already replied. Please resend your email again to info@pine64.org. Thanks.

@tllim 

Do we need to request the updated parts if we purchased the pcie adapter in the past, or will they just send us the updated parts automatically ?

Thanks

You can request, the original plan is send out automatically and will do so on next week. Please noted that only first batch about 100 plus got affected. If you already have slim holder (as right one on photo), you are good.

How can this be correct? The February update also talks about 2 revisions of boards (https://www.pine64.org/2020/02/15/februa...us-report/)
As listed in the update, I definitely have the old adapter board. I sent email to that info email address, and only got a reply talking about the slim holder. I sent followups, but heard nothing back. I have the correct holder, but the very much incorrect board. I'm order 115971. I'd really like to be able to get the corrected board(2019-0809). What can I do to get the updated board?

Thanks.

Exactly the same for me. I have the old board but the new holder, and after saying that in my reply email I have heard nothing back. What I would *really* like to kn ow is: Is there a new ribbon cable? I really don't like the way the one I have needs to be folded to fit...
(03-30-2020, 01:02 AM)Kaythe Wrote:
(03-29-2020, 08:34 PM)sunsmoke Wrote:
(03-21-2020, 01:07 PM)tllim Wrote: Just check with info team, all email, including fall into spam mail, before March 14 already replied. Please resend your email again to info@pine64.org. Thanks.

@tllim 

Thanks

Thanks.

Exactly the same for me. I have the old board but the new holder, and after saying that in my reply email I have heard nothing back. What I would *really* like to kn ow is: Is there a new ribbon cable? I really don't like the way the one I have needs to be folded to fit...

In the same boat as you - new holder but old board. Haven't heard from support since pointing that out. Not in any rush, but would eventually like to have my SSD mounted by something other than tape haha.
Ditto, its been 9 days since I asked about the board version after confirming the slimmer holder and I have not yet received a response
@amiraeva
 Personally I do think danialt  method is close to my favorite.
I prefer to shorten the adapter board to give plenty of extra clearance rather than 'just fit'
 a zip ty (cable tie)  will work to hold the ssd in position better than tape.
> However I rather use a stiff piece of insulated solid copper wire. 16 or 14 gauge (awg) just folded around the adapter board and the ssd.

> BUT Again I would like to warn :  These SSD's do use more power than the eMMC.  and there are different software & OS requirements when using the SSD's

So there is more "involved" than just making it "Fit"

NOT saying not to do it, some users love their SSD installations, just realize everything it takes to do it.

(I prefer the danielt method over the modified "shorter" barrel connector, Myself )
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
13 days now. I decided to stop waiting for a response to my very simple question:

Quote:Thank you for your reply! I do have the slimmer holder on the right, so thats wonderful news. I just want to confirm though, this means I won't have the trackpad interference issue described on the wiki?

absolutely still get the touchpad interference issue. Clicking was significantly harder. Leave it to pine64 to ship a defective untested product and then give you the cold shoulder on a very simple question to support. 27 days ago when I started this support thread I was 100% willing the shell out the extra money for a new adapter if they came back and told me that my current adapter would not work and that they weren't offering a replacement but after this experience with their support I don't want to give them another cent.
There ARE ways to make it work,  

LOTS of people have Made this WORK !

" Read some of the other posts on the forum "

Be sure to check the wiki BEFORE you buy a PCIe SSD...  not all will work

You should Realize the average Linux user is usually a bit better at solving problems than a Windows or other Main Stream User.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
Quote:There ARE ways to make it work,
LOTS of people have Made this WORK !
" Read some of the other posts on the forum "

I read the forum before I made the purchase of the adapter. There is a sticky post that has been up since October 2019 saying the NVMe adapter problem has been solved and all future orders will include the solution to the problem. Pine64 LIED. Yes, some users have managed to get it to work with tape and zip ties but this is a MOBILE device so I expect something a bit more reliable for keeping my drive connected.

Quote:You should Realize the average Linux user is usually a bit better at solving problems than a Windows or other Main Stream User.

Dude, I'm not some helpless windows user. I have written patches to the FreeBSD Kernel and I know my way around a soldering iron. There is a big difference between "some assembly required" and "your mobile device is going to be held together with bubblegum and good intentions".

But even overlooking their blatant lies to customers, and hiding behind their hobbyist/some-assembly-required branding doesn't excuse the terrible response from their customer support. I've included my entire support thread below. Take note that at no point did I ask for anything from them other than information, which they continue to avoid supplying. All I wanted to know was whether or not the product I had was going to cause a problem. Well, it turns out that it does, so in summary Pine64:
  • Lied on their forums, misleading me into purchasing a defective untested product
  • Delayed me by weeks waiting for support to respond
  • Provided misleading/false information that my adapter should be okay
  • Ignored my question clarifying that I would not have a problem
  • Which then lead me to wasting my time taking apart this laptop and installing the drive only to find out that it causes the problem.
0/10 would not buy from this company again.

Email thread:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1754]

Sticky post as of today:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=1755]

Attached Files
.png   nvme.png (Size: 234.19 KB / Downloads: 983)
.png   screenshot_2020-04-07-122257.png (Size: 83.38 KB / Downloads: 830)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,419 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
Thumbs Up NVMe adapter, Great addition dachalife 2 1,725 11-28-2022, 12:56 PM
Last Post: dachalife
  NVMe drives not detected mattpenn 12 10,039 03-05-2022, 04:53 AM
Last Post: mattpenn
  NVme intall usage? tkudog 2 2,794 03-04-2022, 01:29 AM
Last Post: Tazdevl
  Anyone selling a spare NVMe adapter in Europe? tom.tomasz 1 1,793 01-03-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: tom.tomasz
  NVMe-related crashes and instability, plus a solution simonsouth 13 14,363 12-10-2021, 07:47 PM
Last Post: josmo
  Mini-Howto: ROCK64 USB 3.0 WIFI Adapter (Rabbit-ear) on Manjaro Dendrocalamus64 1 2,316 11-14-2021, 03:41 PM
Last Post: Dendrocalamus64
  NVMe SSD testing methodology halogen 1 2,555 07-22-2021, 05:57 PM
Last Post: calinb
Question Battery stops charging and NVMe and other media disconnect randomly Eey0zu6O 4 4,631 07-09-2021, 08:45 PM
Last Post: moonwalkers