Pinebook Pro - M.2 SSD specifications Please
I ordered the M.2 SSD adapter for my Pinebook Pro,

However I am hoping to get a better idea of the exact specifications I should be looking for in the SSD drive itself.

Here is what I have found so far :
                                                        PCIe x4  M.2 NVMe

Not to exceed 2.5 watts

However I have not seen anything about what 'Generation'  is acceptable  ?

I have seen an abundance of  'Gen 3'  M.2 SSD's  for sale in the market place ...

Very few have the Maximum Wattage listed,  Some have an Active Wattage,  But I do'nt think Active = Peak  ?

Most do not even mention the wattage.

I was hoping to find this information in the Pinebook Pro WIKI,  But it does not elaborate on the drive specs.

*   I got the 2.5 watts from the Pine64 Info team via email, (Thank you info team ! )

*   Is there a physical thickness spec as well ?

*   I see one person had problem with his M.2 SSD  lifting his touch pad when he re-assembled his laptop. !

IS there any other specs I should be aware of  Before I Order the drive  ?

Most of my experience has been the 2.5" Laptop sata drives  and the old full size desktop drives

THANKS  for any help & advice  !

Smile
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-03-2019, 04:08 AM)bcnaz Wrote: ...
    However I have not seen anything about what 'Generation'  is acceptable  ?
     I was hoping to find this information in the Pinebook Pro WIKI,  But it does not elaborate on the drive specs.

The SoC supplies PCIe generation 2. And since generation 3 is backward comaptible with 2, any generation 2 or 3 NVME drive would work, (from this perspective). For that mater, a PCIe generation 4 drive should work, (but they are few, and probably more expensive at present).

Give the Pinebook Pro Wiki time to build up information. This is a new product. In someways, the average person should wait months until all the quirks have been either worked out, worked around or at least identified. (Not saying you are an average person who should wait...)

I too am looking for wattage information. In someways the NVME should be much faster than the eMMC, so using a NVME that is slower but meets the power budget better should okay for most people.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(10-03-2019, 04:08 AM)bcnaz Wrote:     *   Is there a physical thickness spec as well ?

*    I see one person had problem with his M.2 SSD  lifting his touch pad when he re-assembled his laptop. !

There are physical specs.  Thickness was posted somewhere on this forum earlier, but I couldn't find it.  I'm not going to bother the devs with any questions at this time.

(I'm giving contributors time to add to the Wiki on their own accord, before I make note of what could be missing.)

Do you have a link to that installation problem?

Please see this thread:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7766

IS it the module hitting or is it the mounting nut that holds the module to the adapter board ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 230 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 127,002 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,140 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux
  PineBook Pro revision 2.2: Wishlist for the hardware issue fixes dsimic 115 131,724 11-30-2022, 04:28 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Decent Pinebook Pro barrel PSU / Charger petaramesh 3 1,760 10-21-2022, 07:57 AM
Last Post: dachalife