Booting from MicroSD
Has anyone been successful in booting from an alternate image on the MicroSD card? Ubuntu, ChromiumOS, Etc.
(10-02-2019, 06:52 PM)kunger Wrote: Has anyone been successful in booting from an alternate image on the MicroSD card? Ubuntu, ChromiumOS, Etc.

The miroSD boot should works on the mrfixit2001 Debian OS (Default build). The build check for boot signature on microSD card and pass the boot sequence over to continue booting.
(10-02-2019, 06:52 PM)kunger Wrote: Has anyone been successful in booting from an alternate image on the MicroSD card? Ubuntu, ChromiumOS, Etc.

Unfortunately, it does not work properly today.

We work on fixing that now!

The u-boot that resides on eMMC does not set correct `fdtfile=` which is required by my images and `ChromiumOS`.
The `fdtfile=` set by bootloader wrote on eMMC is `evb_rk3399` instead of `rk3399-pinebook-pro`.

As for Chromium OS, I'm also uncertain if u-boot does support i2c4 and if it does have the `CMD_I2C` built-in,
so it is likely that this does not support auto-detection of device that it runs on:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/chromiu...oot.cmd#L3

As Chromium OS is dual-boot image, where it during boot detects what device to use.

The only solution today is to disable eMMC or replace eMMC bootloader with mine.

UPDATE:

This is fixed. Update your Pinebook Pro to 1.1 and it should work fine then.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
I attempted to boot mrfixit's Debian desktop last night, it hangs early in boot process, got past boot splash but did not get to login.

I attempted 3 times, verified md5sum signature on image file.

This morning I was successful in booting ayufan's bionic lxde first time, using same process, same hardware.
(11-02-2019, 06:49 AM)hmuller Wrote: I attempted to boot mrfixit's Debian desktop last night, it hangs early in boot process, got past boot splash but did not get to login.

This morning I was successful in booting ayufan's bionic lxde first time, using same process, same hardware.

I've also tried the pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit-190905.img multiple times on 3 different microsd cards with the same results as you... I see the boot splash, briefly see the console login, and then I get a blank screen.

Matthew
I ran Ayufans Android 7.1.2 build successfully from SD card this morning.
Pretty useless without a proper Google Play and Google Play Services, but it booted, loaded quick and ran well far longer than my patience. Smile
(11-03-2019, 12:50 PM)m80 Wrote:
(11-02-2019, 06:49 AM)hmuller Wrote: I attempted to boot mrfixit's Debian desktop last night, it hangs early in boot process, got past boot splash but did not get to login.

I've also tried the pinebookpro-debian-desktop-mrfixit-190905.img multiple times on 3 different microsd cards with the same results as you... I see the boot splash, briefly see the console login, and then I get a blank screen.

Matthew

I edited the extlinux.conf on the boot partition of the microsd and changed  "root=PARTUUID=deedbeef-02" to the device holding the root partition on the microsd "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".  After that it booted.

Matthew
(11-03-2019, 05:38 PM)m80 Wrote:
(11-03-2019, 12:50 PM)m80 Wrote:

Matthew

I edited the extlinux.conf on the boot partition of the microsd and changed  "root=PARTUUID=deedbeef-02" to the device holding the root partition on the microsd "root=/dev/mmcblk0p2".  After that it booted.

Matthew

That makes sense. Observing the boot with the serial cable shows that it hangs at "starting kernel". The kernel cannot find init (systemd).

Looks like it's time for me to learn the embedded Linux boot process.
I'm running ayufan's bionic/mate image from the SD card without issue. I just DD'd it straight to the card, shut the machine down and rebooted with it in the slot and it booted right up to the new image.

With the mrfixit image I think I remember it hanging before login but switching to another vt and then back to the X server fixed it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Followed the blog post to install Fedora: PBP not booting anymore koenigs 6 1,849 06-01-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: wdt
  I'm booting from NVME but I want to switch back to eMMC acruhl 4 1,468 04-23-2023, 06:58 AM
Last Post: acruhl
Exclamation PineBook Pro shuts down immediately after booting zogkarndon 5 1,949 01-10-2023, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Perl6_user
  Total Noob. Need help booting from SD Mattchublean 18 13,317 07-23-2022, 11:54 PM
Last Post: LivingLinux
Wink Booting Windows on bare-metal rk3399 SBC (no linux involved) strongtz 9 10,425 05-26-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: strongtz
  PInebook not booting with eMMC enabled aragaer 4 4,204 10-25-2021, 09:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Manjaro i3 Edition not booting mtndew 0 1,566 08-23-2021, 06:21 PM
Last Post: mtndew
Video Problem Booting from SD card ezryder324r 0 1,452 05-19-2021, 02:42 PM
Last Post: ezryder324r
  Forgot my Pinebook password. Booting from MIcroSD doesn't work. ksfoodforest 0 1,747 01-30-2021, 11:08 AM
Last Post: ksfoodforest
  Booting to sdcard stopped working after emmc flash techiedog 3 3,903 12-31-2020, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Anarethos