Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions
(10-03-2019, 08:23 AM)Luke Wrote: @Omli hey, can you take a high res picture of the NVMe inside the case please. That shouldn't happen ... but at this early stage, I guess everything is possible. Thank you for pointing it out.

.jpg   Inked_DSF2611_LI.jpg (Size: 443.67 KB / Downloads: 801)

The SSD rises ca. 7.5mm above the plastik from the Case.

Write me if you need more pictures.

I testet the SSD holder alone without SSD and the brass holder mounted. 
The brass pice alone is to hight. The Brass pice is 0.5mm higher then the SSD.
I trie to filing the brass pice down and will try then again.

I shorted the brass pice down. Now is the whole metall bottom pressing against the SSD.
It dosen t press animore against the touchpad so hart but the problem is still not solved.
This is a bit worrisome. Has the NVMe bracket not been tested for fitting inside the laptop at all or something?
(10-04-2019, 06:22 PM)Omli Wrote: The SSD rises ca. 7.5mm above the plastik from the Case.

I testet the SSD holder alone without SSD and the brass holder mounted.
The brass pice alone is to hight. The Brass pice is 0.5mm higher then the SSD.
I trie to filing the brass pice down and will try then again.
Like, do you plan to distribute shorted SSD holder, like 2242 or 2260? 2280 one didn't work out.

(10-03-2019, 11:01 AM)neilman Wrote: Typed dmesg from Pinebook's terminal - big list of stuff.
Tried to use my Pinebook 1080 USB to 3.5mm 4-pole plug console lead from my Windows 7 machine as COM9 - no joy at all with any terminal program (including Putty) at 9600 - what speed should work?
Then tried SSH with Putty using "rock" credentials - success. Typed dmesg but obviously only get current session from start?
Plugged in the USB-C monitor connection - grand picture showing.
Shut down system (pine-leave-shutdown) int and ext screens go blank, Putty reports "server unexpectedly closed network connection". Power LED stays on.
Wait a while, no change. Unplug USB-C lead and within a few seconds the Pinebook turns off.
The Pinebook definitely doesn't like (my) USB-C monitor to be connected when shutting down.
Battery down to 15% so put it on charge. Can resume fiddling later when the charge LED goes out.

You can use netconsole to gather logs on poweroff:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Netconsole
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Netconsole
https://debamax.com/blog/2019/01/03/debu...etconsole/
https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation...onsole.txt
@RussianNeuroMancer , most consumer available PCIe NVMe driver are in the 2280 form factor.
With a few exceptions (which involve searching for ripped off drives from some other laptops or searching for spare parts from larger OEMs for those laptops like this drive for Lenovo Thinkpads), there is little choice in this regard.

The majority of available 2242/ 2260 drives are Sata III in comparison - the Pinebook Pro won't work with them.
An example of such incompatible drive can be found here

For the holder (bracket) itself -> lets wait for further information and more feedback.
(10-08-2019, 05:22 AM)PakoSt Wrote: The majority of available 2242/ 2260 drives are Sata III in comparison - the Pinebook Pro won't work with them.

Yeah, I forgot this board won't work with M.2 SATA drives. I just remembered there was some 2240 options for GPD Win 2, but that was SATA options of course, not NVME.
OK, taking the opportunity to shoot my mouth off with initial impressions of the PBP I received today....

First, impressive design and feel. Looks and feels like the high class machine it is.

After oogling at it a while, I flipped it on . Didn't charge it right off. Lazy I guess. Really want to see if it will even out after the recharging regimen has been accomplished.

Ran the updates and then ran Synaptic for its updates and to add some updates. All seemed to go well.

There were a few "glitches" where, for example, Chromium would freeze up. We'll see how it goes when I have more time.

I did notice the CPU throttle up as needed and everything seemed to operate smoothly and rapidly....except for the few glitches with Chromium....

Only minor issue I found was the sound was well a bit "thin". Dynamic range was narrow. Sounded a bit like an AM radio...Imagine there's a way to add some punch and depth with an equalizer? Something else? Not bad, just utilitarian.

Say, anybody know how to set the time using NTP on this setup? Didn't find GUI for it. Something that needs to be done by the command line?

Only spent about an hour and mostly was doing updates and such, so the real tests lie ahead.

However, the PineBook Pro clearly make a great first impression. Looks GREAT and FEELS great. Works well and might hopefully by the answer for those who want a class act in a low price computer...
My Pinebook Pro arrived yesterday  Smile

It was packed extremely well.  Overall, it looks great.  No one would ever guess it only cost $200.  The fit and finish is very good.  The screen quality and video playback are excellent.  Sound through the built-in speakers could be better, but headphones seem to work fine.  The top case sags a bit in the middle when I press on the center of the keyboard, although the keyboard itself is surprisingly good.  The touchpad seems to work fine, although there seems to be a small dead area in the top center that doesn't click.  Two-finger scrolling is very quick and smooth.   I've been playing back videos from a 3.0 USB stick to run down the battery, and the computer hasn't felt warm.  The USB 2.0 port works fine with a mouse.  Unfortunately, the WiFi is weak — my crappy smart phone (that I almost never use) gets full bars, but the PBP only shows 55%. (I don't have any hardware to test the USB-C or Bluetooth.  I haven't tried the SD card slot.)

There are some software problems.  Neither of the browsers included with the stock build work well.  Firefox keeps crashing.  Chromium won't let me change its settings, and sometimes claims I have no internet.  Fixing this should be a priority.  The "test speakers" function under sound settings doesn't work.  The clock, Bluetooth, and CPU settings get reset every time I reboot.  I've tried setting the clock to my time zone several times.  Ejecting a thumb drive from USB 3.0 removes it from the desktop but reports "Error ejecting /dev/sda".  Trying to open Network from the Pine menu often fails.

Is there a way to set up MATE so it has something similar to an applications folder?  I find scrolling through a tiny box rather tedious.

Is there an application to manage users and groups?  

Are there better descriptions of the CPU settings?

Does anyone know of a way I could test the microphone and camera?

tl;dr:  So far the hardware seems fine, although the software needs work.
(10-19-2019, 01:03 PM)zaius Wrote: My Pinebook Pro arrived yesterday  Smile

It was packed extremely well.  Overall, it looks great.  No one would ever guess it only cost $200.  The fit and finish is very good.  The screen quality and video playback are excellent.  Sound through the built-in speakers could be better, but headphones seem to work fine.  The top case sags a bit in the middle when I press on the center of the keyboard, although the keyboard itself is surprisingly good.  The touchpad seems to work fine, although there seems to be a small dead area in the top center that doesn't click.  Two-finger scrolling is very quick and smooth.   I've been playing back videos from a 3.0 USB stick to run down the battery, and the computer hasn't felt warm.  The USB 2.0 port works fine with a mouse.  Unfortunately, the WiFi is weak — my crappy smart phone (that I almost never use) gets full bars, but the PBP only shows 55%. (I don't have any hardware to test the USB-C or Bluetooth.  I haven't tried the SD card slot.)

There are some software problems.  Neither of the browsers included with the stock build work well.  Firefox keeps crashing.  Chromium won't let me change its settings, and sometimes claims I have no internet.  Fixing this should be a priority.  The "test speakers" function under sound settings doesn't work.  The clock, Bluetooth, and CPU settings get reset every time I reboot.  I've tried setting the clock to my time zone several times.  Ejecting a thumb drive from USB 3.0 removes it from the desktop but reports "Error ejecting /dev/sda".  Trying to open Network from the Pine menu often fails.

Is there a way to set up MATE so it has something similar to an applications folder?  I find scrolling through a tiny box rather tedious.

Is there an application to manage users and groups?  

Are there better descriptions of the CPU settings?

Does anyone know of a way I could test the microphone and camera?

tl;dr:  So far the hardware seems fine, although the software needs work.

Regarding software - hence the early adopter batch.

Have you tried ayufan's ubuntu yet? If not, then do give it a go please for the sake of providing a comparison. NB. initial boot (first boot) on ubuntu is slow, especially on SD card. After that booting will be fast. And yes, you can flash it to a SD card and just give it a spin.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(10-19-2019, 04:41 PM)Luke Wrote: Regarding software - hence the early adopter batch.

Have you tried ayufan's ubuntu yet? If not, then do give it a go please for the sake of providing a comparison. NB. initial boot (first boot) on ubuntu is slow, especially on SD card. After that booting will be fast. And yes, you can flash it to a SD card and just give it a spin.

Oh, I totally understand.  I was reporting, not complaining.  It's much better to have software problems than hardware problems.

I definitely plan on trying the Bionic-Mate build.

So far, the only possible hardware problem might be with its WiFi.  I installed wavemon.  The signal strength is fine if the PBP is in the same room with the router, but it drops very quickly as I leave the room.
(10-19-2019, 05:34 PM)zaius Wrote:
(10-19-2019, 04:41 PM)Luke Wrote: Regarding software - hence the early adopter batch.

Oh, I totally understand.  I was reporting, not complaining.  It's much better to have software problems than hardware problems.

I definitely plan on trying the Bionic-Mate build.

So far, the only possible hardware problem might be with its WiFi.  I installed wavemon.  The signal strength is fine if the PBP is in the same room with the router, but it drops very quickly as I leave the room.

Didn't think of it as a complaint Smile I am very certain that WiFi is a software bug - I saw the PBP report a 'poor' reception relatively close to router and at the other end of the house. I'll do some digging of my own on this one - not concerned however, the antenna is placed well.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,898 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 165 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,217 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,117 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt