Pinebook Pro : GNOME3/gdm3 Debian Buster
Looking forward to a Debian Buster OS release for the Pinebook Pro.  This won't work in Debian Stretch, but improvements were made that are in Buster.  Believe it or not, a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B can boot and run GNOME3 now.

What issues with conflicting custom packages, kernel modules, firmware drivers, etc. might arise when one changes the released OS image and installs:
  • gdm3 in place of lightdm (assuming this is the default display manager used)
  • gnome-core in place of MATE
  • network-manager-gnome
Hi, I can also imagine that the Pinebook Pro would work well with Gnome. In the repositorys of Ubuntu 18.04 is only version 3.28, so we can not try it out right now. You would like to install Gnome 3.30 or later, right? I tried if the Debian Buster builds for the RockPro64 also run on the Pinebook Pro, but that did not work, or I did something wrong. If there is a possibility to install Debian Buster on the Pinebook Pro in the near future I would also try Gnome on it.
I used Debian 9 Stretch for a few years, my favorite desktop was gnome, I really liked it.
But, when I upgraded to the newest Debian 10, I discovered the newest software 'improvements' from "MIT" (Wayland) conflict with the Gnome desktop.
You cannot run as root when using the Gnome desktop.... ! only as user.

**BCnAZ**
          Idea
(10-06-2019, 02:01 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I used Debian 9 Stretch for a few years, my favorite desktop was gnome,  I really liked it.
    But,  when I upgraded to the newest Debian 10,   I discovered the newest software 'improvements' from "MIT"  (Wayland) conflict with the Gnome desktop.
       You cannot run as root when using the Gnome desktop....  !             only as user.

Yes, the switch to Wayland protocol is breaking some functionality...the clipboard, screenshots, and launching a GUI from Terminal, I have heard about. 

Many Linux operating system distributions, disable root, and prefer one use "sudo -i" in command line shell.   

I think in a graphical shell PolKit is used for authorization, so root isn't required there either. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polkit

Still if the root account is enabled with a password, I would think you could still login to gnome-shell with it.

IT may be possible, BUT I could NOT access root myself, No updating or adding any apps or programs......
I GRUMBLED and wiped it, and put Stretch back on...
At that time, on the official Debian website, they said that Gnome desktop was "incompatible"

**BCnAZ**
          Idea

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Debian ARMv7 Multiplatform, Linux Kernel Support? u974615 2 198 10-09-2019, 11:05 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Development Environment on the Pinebook Pro mynameiscalvin 5 282 10-07-2019, 10:26 AM
Last Post: kaylios
  Preinstalled Debian version? tophneal 16 1,550 09-22-2019, 02:26 PM
Last Post: z4v4l
  Pinebook pro, kali linux. Kobalt 4 514 09-12-2019, 09:44 AM
Last Post: x0r
  MX-Linux or antiX on Pinebook Pro? chessie 6 333 08-12-2019, 11:59 AM
Last Post: MichaelVash7886