[28/03/2017] openSUSE Tumbleweed Images for Pine64
I agree in principle with everything that tkaiser has stated ( and others ) ; however , I do believe that there is benefit in the work that terra854 ( and others ) have done with these crappy OS images.  Specifically , the more people we have available who can build an image at all ( any image ) around even crappy binary blobs is better --  the more the merrier.  Why ?  Because before the 'serious' and 'real' work can be done ( which is going to involve some very serious reverse engineering ) all the players need to be conversant with the build process, with the underlying hardware, and with the state-of-the-art at this point. 

open SuSE  is just one more example ( and a good one ) of this on-going effort to get more people on-board with the linux 'development' process in general.  

Every day we get closer to having a team of people ( not just one or two ) who might be capable of opening up this development board as a real platform with a real OS... menaing that its NOT crappy, that it doesn't have binary blobs, and that its completely open and fully documented !  I think terra854 has done a nice job coming on-board ( I and others have encouraged him ) and he is going to be a valuable member of the team of community developers who can make a real difference on this platform.  For that I herald his efforts; nice work !
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )
(10-04-2016, 03:41 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote: ............. For that I herald his efforts; nice work !

In case I overstated my experience I would also like to say thanks to terra854.
Hi,
would this new version :
https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-...quick.html
work with the Pine, or are the differences to the PI to much?

Cheers spike
(11-23-2016, 12:22 PM)spikesch Wrote: Hi,
would this new version :
https://www.suse.com/documentation/suse-...quick.html
work with the Pine, or are the differences to the PI to much?

Cheers spike

I haven't tested it out yet, but my guess is that it may work. But, as this image is not optimized for the A64 SoC that the Pine A64 uses, you may experience quirky behaviors with the system.
Donate BTC: 3Eav9uqXi8Nx1axb7QjK6xV4km4K9YGv9a
Hello everybody.

The latest version of the openSUSE image has been released.

Changelog

- Kernel updated to 3.10.104-1-pine64-longsleep-103
- All software has been updated.
- Image with LCD support (but with no touchscreen capability) is now available (seperate image required)

Also starting from this build, I will be providing a separate image with the necessary changes needed to enable the 7" LCD build in and all images will be compressed to reduce the download time needed.

As usual, download links are in the first post.
I wanted to just say thank you a bunch for this most recent build, This was the first time I experienced opensuse, but so far this has been the best build I have used for my pine64+. I have a 2gb and have literally tried every build minus remix and windows, and this is the only one i've used that supports hdmi, ethernet, and is easy to install a great working desktop gui without any issues. Im still working on getting my usb wifi stick working but thats not a problem. I just wanted to let you know this build far exceeds any others and my original expectations.
Sam
Thanks for this release! Suse was the first Linux I started using, in 1999 and it's very funny to finally see it again after all those years using debian or debian based linux.
Finally I have some use for my pine!
Thanks for the good work.
I received my pine64 a few weeks ago and was able to get andoid installed and while it was slow it worked ok. I just installed opensuse and it seems to work well on my LED screen. I did updates and installed xfce. Is there a way yet to activate the touch screen?

Thanks for the work everyone has done for this platform.
i'm having problems getting wifi setup. i've been using setup in yast but it seems as though the wifi module is not being recognized. it is found using debian so the module is good and physically recognized. another thing, i'm not experienced with the snapshot method but i would like to be able to set this up so that only packages that have changes are processed. as it stands now when a new snapshot is issued every package regardless if there has been a change to it since the last snapshot is installed. i get the feeling that apt-get update/upgrade is not the method to use.
(02-10-2017, 08:24 AM)dkryder Wrote: i'm having problems getting wifi setup. i've been using setup in yast but it seems as though the wifi module is not being recognized. it is found using debian so the module is good and physically recognized. another thing, i'm not experienced with the snapshot method but i would like to be able to set this up so that only packages that have changes are processed. as it stands now when a new snapshot is issued every package regardless if there has been a change to it since the last snapshot is installed. i get the feeling that apt-get update/upgrade is not the method to use.

For WiFi, you can try following the instructions here: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=982 (skip the part about updating the kernel)

As for updating the packages, use this command:

Code:
zypper update

apt-get is for debian/ubuntu only

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  GUI on openSuSE joaoreino 10 14,233 01-23-2018, 09:00 PM
Last Post: tmechanic