0.9.14 Release: Ubuntu 18.04 with Mate & LXDE Desktop
(09-05-2019, 09:46 AM)ayufan Wrote: No, no, no. There's simply no widevine anywhere yet for arm64. The armhf are taken from Chrome OS images instead.

It will be once Google gonna have some production-ready arm64 device with Chrome OS. It will happen definitely,
but not yet.

Ok, I think it was the “no, no, no”; but I finally understand. Until there is an official chrome image for arm64, we will not have it.

Can chromium still play videos without widevine, but just not those under DRM?

Thank

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Yes, it can.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(09-02-2019, 09:48 AM)ayufan Wrote: Unlikely, but. Download `bionic-minimal` for `arm64`. Configure networking with `nmtui` for example and run `install_desktop.sh mate`.

I am new here, and must be missing some context - does 'bionic-minimal' refer to the official Ubuntu arm64 image, or some custom build? Where would one go about obtaining it in case it's the latter? Likewise, what would be the origin of 'install_desktop.sh'?

Forgive me if I'm asking something very obvious.
(09-24-2019, 05:01 AM)CloudDevOne Wrote:
(09-02-2019, 09:48 AM)ayufan Wrote: Unlikely, but. Download `bionic-minimal` for `arm64`. Configure networking with `nmtui` for example and run `install_desktop.sh mate`.

I am new here, and must be missing some context - does 'bionic-minimal' refer to the official Ubuntu arm64 image, or some custom build? Where would one go about obtaining it in case it's the latter? Likewise, what would be the origin of 'install_desktop.sh'?

Ayufan puts out releases (and pre-releases) in various configurations. One of those is a small (minimal) bionic release. That is what he is talking about. https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases has all the variants listed out.

Anybody tried upgrading to later version? (19.04)
Have downloaded bionic-mate 0.9.14-1159 and tried it with the Pinebook Pro after applying the latest uboot update thing.

Initial first-time boots very slow and confusing - obviously still setting itself up
Insisted on changing password ok
Checked external monitor - allowed me to set 2560x1440 resolution ok
Then set screen mirror of LCD ok
Bit confusing with status bar at top (opposite of supplied Debian build)
Did a Ubuntu software update - progress screen kept minimising itself a few times but completed ok.
Went to printer setup - it had already found and installed my Epson printer and prints a test page.
Tried to change single to double-sided setting, needed authorization, refused all credentials to apply change???
Tried to add printer - it found my brother laser and let me provide PPD from a thumbdrive but again refused authorization credentials.

Any suggestion of credentials that will authorize changes?
(10-04-2019, 06:40 PM)neilman Wrote: Bit confusing with status bar at top (opposite of supplied Debian build)
Tried to add printer - it found my brother laser and let me provide PPD from a thumbdrive but again refused authorization credentials.

What is confusing about status bar?

Can you explain in more details what are you doing?

(10-04-2019, 06:40 PM)neilman Wrote: Initial first-time boots very slow and confusing - obviously still setting itself up

Yes, first boot is slow as mate is configuring itself. This is vastly different approach to default debian, as it is "pre-configured", which has downsides that you cannot create a new account to have exactly the same experience.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(10-06-2019, 04:54 AM)ayufan Wrote:
(10-04-2019, 06:40 PM)neilman Wrote: Bit confusing with status bar at top (opposite of supplied Debian build)

What is confusing about status bar?

Can you explain in more details what are you doing?

Confusing to my brain only the Debian status bar was at the bottom and menu icon now at top left.

For printer I wanted to change single sided to duplex for the auto detected Epson printer. Trying to apply the change required authorization to which I entered user rock64 and my new password. It responded with incorrect password.
Similarly trying to add detected network Brother printer needed the same authorization.
Might it need root authorization? If so what is root password?
(09-24-2019, 02:41 PM)sjk Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 05:01 AM)CloudDevOne Wrote:

Ayufan puts out releases (and pre-releases) in various configurations. One of those is a small (minimal) bionic release. That is what he is talking about. https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/releases has all the variants listed out.

Hey, ayufan,

I have not received my pinebookpro yet, but it should arrive soon. I had a fresh look at the assists you are publishing. I do not see a bionic-minimal built as arm64 for the pinebookpro? All I see is a linux-pinebookpro Debian package? Can we get the minimal image built for arm64? 

Thanks,
Scott.
(10-06-2019, 05:06 AM)neilman Wrote: ...

For printer I wanted to change single sided to duplex for the auto detected Epson printer. Trying to apply the change required authorization to which I entered user rock64 and my new password. It responded with incorrect password.
Similarly trying to add detected network Brother printer needed the same authorization.
Might it need root authorization? If so what is root password?

Yes, CUPS requires root privs, and magic password is "root"!
(At least that is what they say here in the forums.)
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,674 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Armbian 22.02 release announcement TRS-80 22 13,336 04-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  Install the DDE desktop environment wangyukunshan 0 1,283 12-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Desktop environment of Ubuntukylin 20.04 wangyukunshan 3 3,088 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  After update in Ubuntu bionic mate system crashed Wawe 2 3,127 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Wawe
  OpenMandriva to release ARM builds for PineBook Pro and Pi ludix 11 9,490 03-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: BronzeBeard
  Ubuntu Installation on PBP narinderpal10 5 5,837 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: narinderpal10
  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Can't boot after update hankg 2 3,078 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: BryanF
Information [Development Release] Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pinebook Pro Images wideawake 12 14,643 12-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Last Post: pieter085