0.9.14 Release: Ubuntu 18.04 with Mate & LXDE Desktop
You should use your new password that you entered twice af first start.
(10-25-2019, 12:16 PM)Wizzard Wrote: You should use your new password that you entered twice af first start.

OK, guess I assumed it would reset back to rock64 when I shutdown and rebooted again... There's "persistence" at work it would seem....:-)
Many Thanks!!
(10-25-2019, 12:47 PM)rick1959 Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 12:16 PM)Wizzard Wrote: You should use your new password that you entered twice af first start.

OK, guess I assumed it would reset back to rock64 when I shutdown and rebooted again... There's "persistence" at work it would seem....:-)
Many Thanks!!

The SD is now your system drive.  So any changes such as passwords, settings, updates, etc. are going to be written to it.  I installed Synaptic, and several applications, that I will "lose" if I reflash the card, or when I install ayufan's image on eMMC.  I've thought about trying rsync to keep any changes.

Btw, the rockmediaplayer doesn't seem to work.  It crashes on startup.  Anyone else getting the same thing?

(10-22-2019, 07:53 PM)rick1959 Wrote: I had trouble with keyboard until I wrapped my head around the different characters where I was used to finding them. Being an old "hunt and peck" typist,  I finally figured I needed to use a different key to enter some passwords...I'm old, what can I say! :-)

For the camera, try guvcview from Synaptic.....:-)

Thanks Smile

guvcview did not work.  It said it could not find an input.  So I tried cheese.  The camera and the camera security switches work.

Which device under /dev is the built-in camera?

The keyboard is just odd.  

The @ symbol is shift-2, where I would expect it, but it's physically labeled " and the quote key is labeled @ but types "

Shift-3 is labeled with a British Pound symbol £ but types #

As far I can tell several different keys type < and > symbols.

Maybe Pine64 could come out with a set of keyboard stickers?  That way re-mapped keys could be properly labeled.  That would make things better for everyone,  from expert typists to people who only use one finger.
(10-25-2019, 01:06 PM)zaius Wrote:
(10-25-2019, 12:47 PM)rick1959 Wrote:

Many Thanks!!

The SD is now your system drive.  So any changes such as passwords, settings, updates, etc. are going to be written to it.  I installed Synaptic, and several applications, that I will "lose" if I reflash the card, or when I install ayufan's image on eMMC.  I've thought about trying rsync to keep any changes.

Btw, the rockmediaplayer doesn't seem to work.  It crashes on startup.  Anyone else getting the same thing?

(10-22-2019, 07:53 PM)rick1959 Wrote: I had trouble with keyboard until I wrapped my head around the different characters where I was used to finding them. Being an old "hunt and peck" typist,  I finally figured I needed to use a different key to enter some passwords...I'm old, what can I say! :-)

For the camera, try guvcview from Synaptic.....:-)

Thanks Smile

guvcview did not work.  It said it could not find an input.  So I tried cheese.  The camera and the camera security switches work.

Which device under /dev is the built-in camera?

The keyboard is just odd.  

The @ symbol is shift-2, where I would expect it, but it's physically labeled " and the quote key is labeled @ but types "

Shift-3 is labeled with a British Pound symbol £ but types #

As far I can tell several different keys type < and > symbols.

Maybe Pine64 could come out with a set of keyboard stickers?  That way re-mapped keys could be properly labeled.  That would make things better for everyone,  from expert typists to people who only use one finger.

I'm honored and Your Welcome!

"Shift-3 is labeled with a British Pound symbol £ but types #" ---Funny, it didn't work like that for me and I found it because It was the # was part of a password that wouldn't work.....

I'm wondering if gucview worked because I'd installed some support files as I was going along? It didn't work all that well....640x480 still photos were pretty bad.

And now the SD card adventure is to try something other than the stock OS. I need to keep a working OS on the eMMC so the PBP can be used reliably....

The adventure continues!! :-)
(08-30-2019, 09:32 AM)Luke Wrote: New OS images from @ayufan

Ubuntu 18.04 with a choice of Mate or LXDE for the Pinebook Pro now available

Download

Great!  I managed to get MongoDB 4.0.x running under Ubuntu 18 with the PineBook Pro & LXDE image.  I am having a bit of an issue with the keyboard.  Sometimes all characters register fine and sometimes some keys are not recognized (even with multiple presses) for a second or so.  Can be frustrating.  I do not seem to have this problem under the original Debian image that came with the PineBook Pro.  No issue via ssh.
(11-01-2019, 06:16 PM)AndyOfLinux Wrote:

Download

Great!  I managed to get MongoDB 4.0.x running under Ubuntu 18 with the PineBook Pro & LXDE image.  I am having a bit of an issue with the keyboard.  Sometimes all characters register fine and sometimes some keys are not recognized (even with multiple presses) for a second or so.  Can be frustrating.  I do not seem to have this problem under the original Debian image that came with the PineBook Pro.  No issue via ssh.

Missed key presses are caused by contact with the touchpad while typing. I've experienced this on the factory installed Debian desktop. It is resolved by lifting ones palms off the palm rest, or by disabling the touchpad using the blue Fn key and the F7 key.
(11-01-2019, 09:35 PM)hmuller Wrote:
(11-01-2019, 06:16 PM)AndyOfLinux Wrote:

Download

Missed key presses are caused by contact with the touchpad while typing. I've experienced this on the factory installed Debian desktop. It is resolved by lifting ones palms off the palm rest, or by disabling the touchpad using the blue Fn key and the F7 key.

Exclamation  yep! Once I was very careful about placing my hands OFF the touchpad, I no longer dropped keystrokes BUT this was not comfortable Sad  I'll need to learn the Fn+F7 trick when using a terminal or editor.
Please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong here, but I can't seem to get either Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu LXDE to boot from SD. I read the thread about not being able to get debian booting and after many attempts managed to boot by writing with dd. 

I notice that the debian image has 2 partitions while the Ubuntu image has 7. Is there a trick to writing Ubuntu to the SD? I've tried etcher too. I'd really appreciate any pointers. Initially I thought it might be a problem with my PBP but I'm not too sure now I've seen it boot debian from SD. I've also had android booting from SD.
(11-05-2019, 05:35 PM)linuxbrew Wrote: Please forgive me if I'm doing something wrong here, but I can't seem to get either Ubuntu Mate or Ubuntu LXDE to boot from SD. I read the thread about not being able to get debian booting and after many attempts managed to boot by writing with dd. 

I notice that the debian image has 2 partitions while the Ubuntu image has 7. Is there a trick to writing Ubuntu to the SD? I've tried etcher too. I'd really appreciate any pointers. Initially I thought it might be a problem with my PBP but I'm not too sure now I've seen it boot debian from SD. I've also had android booting from SD.

That's interesting, as I can't boot Ubuntu LXDE either. I'm going to check Mate version, but I guess I'll receive the same result. Well ,I think I'll try then Debian version...
@ayufan this is excellent work. Thanks!

What is the "root" user account password?

I browsed through this thread, and it seems to been asked, but never answered.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Gentoo on Pinebook Pro RELEASE jannik2099 54 86,659 12-08-2023, 11:25 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Armbian 22.02 release announcement TRS-80 22 13,336 04-01-2023, 03:19 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
Rainbow How to prevent the screen from dimming (no X/wm/desktop)? cowsay 0 495 02-16-2023, 10:58 AM
Last Post: cowsay
  Install the DDE desktop environment wangyukunshan 0 1,283 12-23-2021, 06:51 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Desktop environment of Ubuntukylin 20.04 wangyukunshan 3 3,088 10-26-2021, 08:07 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  After update in Ubuntu bionic mate system crashed Wawe 2 3,127 04-18-2021, 04:52 AM
Last Post: Wawe
  OpenMandriva to release ARM builds for PineBook Pro and Pi ludix 11 9,489 03-02-2021, 07:06 PM
Last Post: BronzeBeard
  Ubuntu Installation on PBP narinderpal10 5 5,837 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Last Post: narinderpal10
  Ubuntu MATE 18.04 Can't boot after update hankg 2 3,078 12-15-2020, 01:53 AM
Last Post: BryanF
Information [Development Release] Fedora 32/CentOS 8 Pinebook Pro Images wideawake 12 14,643 12-10-2020, 10:06 AM
Last Post: pieter085