UMPC Version Idea: PINEPALM PRO
Photo 
[Image: hsdBAVY.jpg]

First of all, this product doesn't actually exist.......... however if there is demand for it it may just be able to become real!

I am making this post to ask the question of "Would you buy it?", however since not everyone is a fan of UMPC units, I must ask the additional question of "Do you like pocketable UMPCs with a clamshell form factor and keyboard?"

This image is a mock-up intended to convey what is intended to be represented, voltage listed is likely off, mock up was done in a hurry and without much homework being done so please keep that in mind!

Currently there are several products on the market that resemble this device, some have yet to be released, also there have been quite a few more in the past. The list below is mixed and totally not in any order. The Gemini PDA and Cosmo Communicator stick out for having a low profile mechanical keyboard, some of the items on this list are a little dated. I owned an Openpandora at one time, but it broke on me and I was never able top get it repaired, I used it mainly for mobile word-processing and it did the job very well and at one time or another have looked into getting the other units on this list for that same purpose. If you go through this list and check what these badboys are selling for (Some of them you can't even find being sold used anymore), you'd find that this theoretical "PINEPALM" unit selling for the same $199 price tag as the 14" Pinebook Pro Linux Laptop would actually allow it to compete with the below items as a budget option for a full qwerty clamshell all in one UMPC.

GPD Pocket
GPD Pocket 2
Dragonbox Pyra
GPD Micro PC
Viliv N5
Gemini PDA
Cosmo Communicator
UMID Mbook
Fujitsu Lifebook U1010
Open Pandora
Sharp IS01
KS-PRO
If it had a keyboard that looked at least as type-able as the GPD has, I would be interested. Although it would have to be down the line a bit. All my computer cash is pre-spent for 6 months out, with some allowance to adjust planned spending in case the PinePhone or the PineTab become available for order.

The main reason I don't have a GPD is it costs too much for my taste. It's a cool device, but just too expensive, especially given how much money I'm dumping into my cluster every month already. I personally like pocket computers. My first one was a trs-80 PC4 back in the 80s(bought with paper route money). Anyway, the keyboard has to be compelling. The keyboard as pictured in that mock up, does not look compelling to me. Maybe it's my eyes or the image quality, but it looks like it would "type" like an old Sharp Wizard and I have zero desire for something like that.

My 2 cents.
(08-25-2019, 03:28 PM)odinson Wrote: If it had a keyboard that looked at least as type-able as the GPD has, I would be interested. Although it would have to be down the line a bit. All my computer cash is pre-spent for 6 months out, with some allowance to adjust planned spending in case the PinePhone or the PineTab become available for order.

The main reason I don't have a GPD is it costs too much for my taste. It's a cool device, but just too expensive, especially given how much money I'm dumping into my cluster every month already. I personally like pocket computers. My first one was a trs-80 PC4 back in the 80s(bought with paper route money). Anyway, the keyboard has to be compelling. The keyboard as pictured in that mock up, does not look compelling to me. Maybe it's my eyes or the image quality, but it looks like it would "type" like an old Sharp Wizard and I have zero desire for something like that.

My 2 cents.

The Image quality is super low, in fact if you tried to zoom in on it you'd find it to be as blurry as bigfoot, but hey both are mythical so that seems to be working towards a joke I've yet to figure out!

Yeah, the GPD products are a bit pricey Sad

I used the Fujitsu Lifebook UH900 for the base of this device and then just modified that.

Ideally though, a mechanical keyboard like the Gemini PDA and Cosmo Communicator (World's smallest functional mechanical full qwerty keyboard) have would be awesome, but who know how much that could increase the pricetag for this kind of thing.
This is a *very* solid speculation and you don't even know how close you are Smile +1 rep when I can actually rep you. Nice mock-up too.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I would definitely buy at least one!
A64, SOPINE, Rock64, RockPro64, Pinebook1080p, Pinebook Pro, Pinephone, Pinewatch dev kit, Pinetab, Pinecil, Pinenut, Quartz64, Pinephone Pro, and PineNote (so far)
I really liked the idea of it but from all the reviews i read about such type of devices, It is not practically usable coz of the cramped up UI and also the IO.

But can always be used as a media device to play music & videos either on in-built screen or a monitor where-as it becomes a bit costly to have such an expensive media device.

I think PineBook, PineTab and PinePhone is the Best practical devices that we should be working on.

And thanks for bringing up this topic and taking the initiative to get a mock and thread up.

Cheers.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
I would like to have Pinebook 360, it means Pinebook with 360 degree hinge and touchscreen, let's say with 13.3" FHD display Smile
In some ways, a 6" or 7" tablet with bluetooth keyboard, (also same foot print), might be more practical.

For both my older 10" tablet and new 10" tablet, I have bluetooth keyboards that also act as cases.
A bit clumsy at times, so I don't always use them. But when I travel, I do bring one.

So, a UMPC with detachable keyboard & touch screen might round out the feature set for people on the
edge of buying.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
Very big this palm, sorry but I dreaming about smalest version with keyboard. I uses it many years. Very good.

CLIE PEG-UX50

[Image: img_clie_ux50j_sm.jpg] camera, keyboard, tablet mode (many years ago!)
I vote to this
[Image: sony_ux50_rev_l.jpg]
Those are strangely very usable, a bit rough though :

https://www.google.com/search?q=android+...ch&tbm=vid

Can be dirt cheap also :

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/7...24659.html

There was improved attempts in 2013 :

https://www.engadget.com/2013/04/02/go-n...-hands-on/

Of course better, yet more expensive, alternatives are now out there :

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32967135458.html

That's definitively what I would be looking for.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Manjaro ARM new version? And hibernate/ sleep mode regretfulpineuser 0 881 06-20-2022, 02:48 PM
Last Post: regretfulpineuser
  Selling Pinebook Pro 128GB version (w/ NVMe adaptor) due to lack of use VoT 3 3,944 03-19-2021, 03:11 AM
Last Post: jj282
  Will It Be Okay To Order The PineBook Pro US Version For Use In The UK? ImmyChan 7 6,195 03-15-2021, 10:24 PM
Last Post: dsimic
  Speaker idea ab1jx 10 11,159 05-02-2020, 07:25 AM
Last Post: slyecho
  Is the Pinebook Pro (current version) good for someone trying to learn linux? stiofan 14 15,696 11-11-2019, 07:34 AM
Last Post: tsago