Throwing in the drawer
Looks like I am just gonna throw this in the drawer for awhile and continue using Raspberry pis until something solid is released. I have the 2 gig board and really havent gotten anything done with it. Remix constantly crashes. Hoping for time to really get some solid OS options out there
I understand the frustration but I figure if I keep allowing the Pine64 to send crash reports, it will help the crew solidify the OS.
I have succeeded in crashing a number of times and will probably restart with a fresh reload of the longsleep ubuntu release.

Yes, mine is a 2gb board also.
Doug Wyman
Tiger Mountain Pacific Northwest USA
http://tigermountainsprings.net/
What do you want to do with it? There are obviously some stability issues, given that its a new piece of hardware, but it performs pretty well for what it is. Have you checked out the Ubuntu img ? If you want to use the Pine64 as a headless device (e.g. server) then look no further ...
Regarding RemixOS, I think that the issues will be ironed out in a couple of months. They have made major progress with it already (for one it actually boots !)
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Remix is working well on my 2 units... only issue I have found is chrome doesn't work well
-.- . ....- .--- --. -..- / .-- --.- .--. ..- -.... .---- ...--
(04-27-2016, 08:48 AM)Luke Wrote: What do you want to do with it? There are obviously some stability issues, given that its a new piece of hardware, but it performs pretty well for what it is. Have you checked out the Ubuntu img ? If you want to use the Pine64 as a headless device (e.g. server) then look no further ...
Regarding RemixOS, I think that the issues will be ironed out in a couple of months. They have made major progress with it already (for one it actually boots !)

I want to use it to get rid of my old desktop I am using for a media server. I didn't know if the ubuntu img was working or not since I was having major issues just getting it to boot correctly with video.
(04-28-2016, 09:59 AM)ThaPharmacist Wrote: I didn't know if the ubuntu img was working or not since I was having major issues just getting it to boot correctly with video.

The symptoms you described sound like 'insufficient power supply'. Micro USB encourages users to power the board wrong (using phone chargers or smart chargers that do not provide more than 500mA) and most USB cables are simply crap to power anything that needs a bit more than just a few mA since their resistance leads to voltage drops. Combine both and you've the reason for stability issues Smile
(04-28-2016, 10:06 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 09:59 AM)ThaPharmacist Wrote: I didn't know if the ubuntu img was working or not since I was having major issues just getting it to boot correctly with video.

The symptoms you described sound like 'insufficient power supply'. Micro USB encourages users to power the board wrong (using phone chargers or smart chargers that do not provide more than 500mA) and most USB cables are simply crap to power anything that needs a bit more than just a few mA since their resistance leads to voltage drops. Combine both and you've the reason for stability issues Smile

Yea, this is plausible. Even if you have a good psu (should be 2A+) the mirco usb wire can be the problem. I use  20 awg micro usb cables to power my Pine64s. The problem is that the Pine (unlike the Raspberry pi 3) doesn't give you an indication that it is not receiving enough power - so you may not even know that this is the issue. What PSU / cable are you using ? (usually says what awg it is on the cable)

(04-28-2016, 11:04 AM)Luke Wrote:

Yea, this is plausible. Even if you have a good psu (should be 2A+) the mirco usb wire can be the problem. I use  20 awg micro usb cables to power my Pine64s. The problem is that the Pine (unlike the Raspberry pi 3) doesn't give you an indication that it is not receiving enough power - so you may not even know that this is the issue. What PSU / cable are you using ? (usually says what awg it is on the cable)

I will take a look when I get home, but I own many Raspberry pis and have never had an issue. I also thought this could be it, but I did get Remix to boot then update, but then it just constantly rebooted itself over and over and over again. So I figured that cable was fine since it was powering
(04-28-2016, 02:34 PM)ThaPharmacist Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 11:04 AM)Luke Wrote:

I will take a look when I get home, but I own many Raspberry pis and have never had an issue. I also thought this could be it, but I did get Remix to boot then update, but then it just constantly rebooted itself over and over and over again. So I figured that cable was fine since it was powering

Do you have a RPI3 by any chance ? If you do, see if you are getting a little rainbow square in the upper right hand corner on boot and under load. If yes, we can assert with a degree of certainty that the psu/cable is the cause of your problems. As a side note - original RPI and RPI2 draw considerably less power than the Pine, so just because you've had no issues with those boards doesn't mean that your psu and cable are suitable for the Pine.  You can always pop by the IRC channel (in sig) if you want live help troubleshooting....

(04-28-2016, 02:34 PM)ThaPharmacist Wrote: but then it just constantly rebooted itself over and over and over again. So I figured that cable was fine since it was powering

The problem is well known and called 'undervoltage when load increases'. Since the topic popped up just recently I collected some material: http://forum.armbian.com/index.php/topic...etlastpost

Hope, this is helpful.