Default OS update log
There is a small switch in the Pinebook Pro mainboard that allows you to disable eMMC and bypass eMMC boot in hardware.
(08-31-2019, 08:56 AM)tllim Wrote: There is a small switch in the Pinebook Pro mainboard that allows you to disable eMMC and bypass eMMC boot in hardware.

Unless you mean it's a three-position switch, wouldn't disabling the eMMC prevent the user from reflashing the eMMC?
(08-31-2019, 09:08 AM)zaius Wrote:
(08-31-2019, 08:56 AM)tllim Wrote: There is a small switch in the Pinebook Pro mainboard that allows you to disable eMMC and bypass eMMC boot in hardware.

Unless you mean it's a three-position switch, wouldn't disabling the eMMC prevent the user from reflashing the eMMC?

During runtime, maybe the switch can be switched back to enable the eMMC flash, again?

If so, ordering the eMMC reader wasn't necessary Undecided
Why does the default OS not come with a swap partition but only a 500MB swap file?

- the swap size is quite small
- why not a partition for faster access

I suspect that suspend to disk will not work with a) a swap file that is b) smaller than physical memory.
(08-31-2019, 09:08 AM)zaius Wrote:

Well. Technically. You can disable `eMMC`, boot any system from SD, and at least on my images you have:
`rockpro64_reset_emmc.sh` that you can run after you switch eMMC ON to be able to flash or fix the system.

So, no, it is not needed, as you can force reset of eMMC after boot.
Homepage: https://ayufan.eu

Releases:
Rock/Pro 64/Pinebook Pro: LinuxChromium OS
So/Pine A64/Pinebook: LinuxAndroid 6.0Android 7.1

Buy me a Beer
(08-31-2019, 12:06 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: Why does the default OS not come with a swap partition but only a 500MB swap file?

- the swap size is quite small
- why not a partition for faster access

I suspect that suspend to disk will not work with a) a swap file that is b) smaller than physical memory.

As far as suspend to disk (hibernate) is concerned, there are two important points about the hibernation image:
  1. 1. It only needs to contain the contents of memory which is in use (A lot of the time, you won't be using all available memory)
  2. 2. The image is compressed.
This means that you actually have a fairly good chance of hibernating with a swap device which is much smaller than the available RAM.

With Swap Partitions vs Swap Files, in most circumstances the performance differences are minimal, while the advantage of a swapfile is it's trivial to adjust the size while the system is running.

Of course, it's your system, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to repartition the disk to accomodate a large swap partition if that's what you prefer Smile
(09-05-2019, 06:05 AM)Thra11 Wrote: As far as suspend to disk (hibernate) is concerned, there are two important points about the hibernation image:
  1. 1. It only needs to contain the contents of memory which is in use (A lot of the time, you won't be using all available memory)
This means that you actually have a fairly good chance of hibernating with a swap device which is much smaller than the available RAM.

With Swap Partitions vs Swap Files, in most circumstances the performance differences are minimal, while the advantage of a swapfile is it's trivial to adjust the size while the system is running.

Of course, it's your system, so it shouldn't be too difficult for you to repartition the disk to accomodate a large swap partition if that's what you prefer Smile

Over the last days I educated myself on swap-files. A lot of engineering went into making them efficient.

I'm not yet sure what I will do ... shipping the first batch got delayed and so I have now more time to think about what I will do.
Are there plans to add pinebookPro to the pine64 Installer utility ?
https://github.com/pine64dev/PINE64-Inst.../README.md

I find that installer very user friendly in selecting the latest tested versions of OS.
(09-08-2019, 02:41 PM)ac8dg Wrote: Are there plans to add pinebookPro to the pine64 Installer utility ?
https://github.com/pine64dev/PINE64-Inst.../README.md

I find that installer very user friendly in selecting the latest tested versions of OS.

The Pinebook Pro OS build for sure will add to PINE64 Installer.
(09-07-2019, 06:27 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote:
(09-05-2019, 06:05 AM)Thra11 Wrote: As far as suspend to disk (hibernate) is concerned, there are two important points about the hibernation image:

Over the last days I educated myself on swap-files. A lot of engineering went into making them efficient.

I'm not yet sure what I will do ... shipping the first batch got delayed and so I have now more time to think about what I will do.

Could the emphasis on a small swap file be to keep the program full in RAM for faster operation?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 982 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,142 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,366 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,722 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,506 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z
  Trackpad firmware update Luke 263 353,975 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Luke