Default OS update log
Attempting to run the updater hangs at: "Making sure dependencies are in place..." all of the sudden. Is this happening to anyone else? I'm a couple updates behind and was wondering if I'm SOL.
You can read the script, it's at /usr/bin/mrfixit_update.sh

All that's happening between that message and the next is,
Code:
apt update -qq &> /dev/null
apt install -qq subversion curl &> /dev/null

This is just internet congestion, from everyone being at home hammering the local branch of the cable and/or the servers at the same time. Try updating when it's not internet prime time. The script is simple & does not have a lot of exception checking & handling capability.

I updated from several versions behind (in fact, I had it hang during downloading the update due to said congestion and Control-C'ing that skipped the step & set /usr/share/myver to the latest version without finishing the update, so I just deleted that file and started over) and it worked fine.
Thanks. I ran the apt updates etc manually outside of the script and it ran fine after that. Oddly enough I've never experienced this issue even when packages were out of date, so I totally didn't expect this to be the hangup. It literally sat there for an hour earlier, so it's likely that something in my apt output was throwing it off and preventing the next action from occurring.
Is the default Debian dead no updates since february ? I'm I the only one who doesn't like manjaro and arch distros ? I'm disappointed and done with pine64..
(05-26-2020, 04:48 AM)tso4ev Wrote: Is the default Debian dead no updates since february ? I'm I the only one who doesn't like manjaro and arch distros ? I'm disappointed and done with pine64..

Why not use Ubuntu 20.04 then? Or Armbian?
Regarding this build, what exactly are you disappointing with - that someone who volunteers their time didn't volunteer it recently?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(05-26-2020, 04:48 AM)tso4ev Wrote: Is the default Debian dead no updates since february ? I'm I the only one who doesn't like manjaro and arch distros ? I'm disappointed and done with pine64..

Pine 64 products are "works in progress", not polished products. Remarkable for what they are. Not for what they aren't....

I bought my PBP to learn and experience a better way of computing. That means being on the cutting edge, with all its warts and issues. I support it to the best of my ability, which is far from what many folks that are here, can do. 

Being involved with the PBP and soon, the PinePhone, is an experience and adventure of being more than just a human interfacing with a finished product. It's about participating in creating something greater than what money can buy....

For me, it's about being part of the solution.....Not just buying one....

Best Regards, Rick :-)
(05-26-2020, 06:25 AM)Luke Wrote:

Regarding this build, what exactly are you disappointing with - that someone who volunteers their time didn't volunteer it recently?

Ubuntu 20.04 is still work in progress and is my only actual choice  but  there is no sound for example armbian is not so stable as well. The default debian was the way to go but it seems its dropped and that really sucks it was beautiful and a lot of raspbian stuff was working too bc they are both debian based and now 360 with the manjaro sorry I was not wanting to be rude.. But I don't wonder anymore when I see people reselling their pbp.. Yes there are a lot of distros for the PBP, but when one distro get the official status everybody will try to make stuff running on it and working with it.. Again I'm not wanting to be rude but If I was knowing how that will turn on I would not get the PBP..
I will keep mine but I'm frustrated, hopefully Ubuntu 20.04 get more stable till then the pbp will keep collecting dust on my desk..
Thanks Luke and sorry about my previous post if it was too direct ..

If you prefer Debian you should definitely try out @danielt's unofficial installer.
Just here to praise the choice to move over to Manjaro as the default. It was my first peek into the world of Arch, one I would never have made if the PBP wasn't so easy to flash (and less terrifying than my X1 Carbon Smile ).

I've been Debian/Ubuntu for years, but Arch (through the Manjaro lens) may be my new default for any fresh installs.

Thanks Pine team for making something that encourages experimentation.
(05-26-2020, 07:29 AM)tso4ev Wrote:
(05-26-2020, 06:25 AM)Luke Wrote:

Ubuntu 20.04 is still work in progress and is my only actual choice  but  there is no sound for example armbian is not so stable as well. The default debian was the way to go but it seems its dropped and that really sucks it was beautiful and a lot of raspbian stuff was working too bc they are both debian based and now 360 with the manjaro sorry I was not wanting to be rude.. But I don't wonder anymore when I see people reselling their pbp.. Yes there are a lot of distros for the PBP, but when one distro get the official status everybody will try to make stuff running on it and working with it.. Again I'm not wanting to be rude but If I was knowing how that will turn on I would not get the PBP..
I will keep mine but I'm frustrated, hopefully Ubuntu 20.04 get more stable till then the pbp will keep collecting dust on my desk..
Thanks Luke and sorry about my previous post if it was too direct ..

I think as rick has already pointed out...the point of the Pine64 project is to experiment. While there may be one "officially supported" distro, that doesn't mean other people aren't actively working on troubleshooting and tweaking other distros. Who's to say you can't be one of the people to continue to improve on Ubuntu 20.04, especially if you are unhappy with its current state? The outcome of this project is largely dependent on what you want to put into it. If it's something you don't want to devote your time to, then it's all good, but don't express your disappointment for the Pine team who has been nothing but transparent throughout this entire process. This is just my respectful opinion and I mean no offense. I am new to this community and this is my honest viewpoint of what I see.

Best,
-B

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  After update, multiple problems, pinebook pro. jd50i 1 968 09-16-2023, 09:41 AM
Last Post: jd50i
  Metis package can't update Mangustis 1 981 02-22-2023, 03:23 PM
Last Post: robocone
  Keyboard/Touchpad update SH61F83 IC zaphod80013 4 3,141 09-14-2022, 03:56 AM
Last Post: Carl
Big Grin EASY SOLUTION for Manjaro "Missing Keys" Update and Install Failure Zoroaster-Z 0 1,363 08-14-2022, 09:01 PM
Last Post: Zoroaster-Z
  Ring around screen following update tylerjohnson3208 2 2,005 05-10-2022, 01:52 AM
Last Post: diyagabriel
  Wont charge when powered off, and update question pineymousepad 7 5,721 12-11-2021, 09:50 PM
Last Post: pineymousepad
  Issues with External Display After Recent Update reundo 0 1,336 11-18-2021, 06:37 PM
Last Post: reundo
Bug Wrong FN keys after keyboard FW update j4n3z 2 2,505 10-19-2021, 01:57 AM
Last Post: j4n3z
  Trackpad firmware update Luke 263 353,945 07-28-2021, 12:52 PM
Last Post: Luke