Using external harddrives with pine?
(05-02-2016, 09:55 AM)montero65 Wrote: the fact that you can also power the Pine via this hub is pretty exciting.

But don't forget to choose cables with as less resistance as possible (20 AWG not more!) and the shorter the better: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...4AR1WR1502 or from Amazon. Background info: http://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=832
Thanks tkaiser. I'm chuckling new because that thread you just linked is the one I had started about power supplies, where you put a link to this thread. It's like a circular reference. I love it.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
Quick update here. I got my powered USB hub yesterday (same one that skybadiver did) and plugged it in. I tried also setting it up like skybadiver, so the Pine and HDD are both powered via the hub. Unfortunately, couldn't handle running both, as when I tried to access my HDD, board would die. Possibly is the USB cable I was running to the Pine, I don't know. So for now, I'm back to having to use 2 power supplies, one for Pine, one for the hub. But this way does work and I can use my HDD.

I did find that I could buy a different power supply for the hub from the same company (Sabrent). The hub comes with a 5V, 2.5A wall wart, but they also sell one at 4A. This would probably be enough, along with a shorter 20AWG USB cable for the Pine, to power both with no issues. I'll hold off for now though. Having already bought a $10 PSU for the Pine, and then the $17 powered hub, I don't want to buy another PSU at $13. It's just starting to add up for my "cheap" computer. Maybe in the future, but for now, i can deal with having 2 power supplies.
Kickstarter backer #5,864  --  SBC Noob  --  SE Michigan, USA
That's a bummer! I haven't had that issue yet and maybe I just got lucky with my cables or something. They aren't the shortest cables in the world but they were what I had lying around. Hope you can get it worked out.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
(05-05-2016, 07:29 AM)montero65 Wrote: Quick update here.  I got my powered USB hub yesterday (same one that skybadiver did) and plugged it in.  I tried also setting it up like skybadiver, so the Pine and HDD are both powered via the hub.  Unfortunately, couldn't handle running both, as when I tried to access my HDD, board would die.  Possibly is the USB cable I was running to the Pine, I don't know.  So for now, I'm back to having to use 2 power supplies, one for Pine, one for the hub.  But this way does work and I can use my HDD.

I did find that I could buy a different power supply for the hub from the same company (Sabrent).  The hub comes with a 5V, 2.5A wall wart, but they also sell one at 4A.  This would probably be enough, along with a shorter 20AWG USB cable for the Pine, to power both with no issues.  I'll hold off for now though.  Having already bought a $10 PSU for the Pine, and then the $17 powered hub, I don't want to buy another PSU at $13.  It's just starting to add up for my "cheap" computer.  Maybe in the future, but for now, i can deal with having 2 power supplies.

I messed around with the pine yesterday and tried it with other cables I had.  With several of my other mini hdmi cables acting as power supplies from the hub, the board kept shutting down.  Those cables were shorter than the cable that actually works for me as a power supply from the hub.  My working cable is 3 feet long, but the cables that did not work were about 6inches to 12 inches.  The length of the cable might play a role for others but I think that the resistance of a particular cable plays a bigger part.  I suggest trying other hdmi cables you might have lying around and you might get lucky despite the length.  I just pick the right on the first try which is why I thought the hub would work for everyone's needs.
(05-06-2016, 08:10 AM)skybadiver Wrote: The length of the cable might play a role for others but I think that the resistance of a particular cable plays a bigger part.

Both matters and that's simple math. The higher the resistance the more the length matters. So choosing AWG 20 rated cables is the best idea (after choosing the Euler pins to provide power): http://goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable...ging-slow/
(05-06-2016, 08:36 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 08:10 AM)skybadiver Wrote: The length of the cable might play a role for others but I think that the resistance of a particular cable plays a bigger part.

Both matters and that's simple math. The higher the resistance the more the length matters. So choosing AWG 20 rated cables is the best idea (after choosing the Euler pins to provide power): http://goughlui.com/2014/10/01/usb-cable...ging-slow/

BTW does anyone make 20awg dupont conenctors?
I have been running my pine and external hard drive for quite sometime now. I bought a USB 3.0 hub that is powered with a 5v 4amp adapter. This hub powers both the board and the hard drive when I turn it on. I have also plugged thumb drives in at the same time without any problems.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
(05-06-2016, 08:51 AM)rahlquist Wrote:
(05-06-2016, 08:36 AM)tkaiser Wrote:

BTW does anyone make 20awg dupont conenctors?

i have bought this kit in past. the connector surface is silver/tin. it's a fairly decent kit as far as amazon stuff goes. when i needed it i got it in 3 days (prime member). the connectors have crimped just fine and the housings also work. just a basic hobbyist kit i reckon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014YT...UTF8&psc=1
(04-26-2016, 11:25 PM)CaptainZalo Wrote: The pine doesn't give enough power over the USB port to power a disk. Get a powered usb hub or a powered pass-through cable. I have the same problem on my TV.

im using a usb powered hdd on my pineA64 2gb android 5.1.1 64gb micro sd with touch screen powered by the micro usb, 80GB  5400 rpm Hitachi sata hdd, its power requirements are 5v 700mA, the usb cable iv'e got uses 2 usb plugs just a cheepie off ebay, about $7, 1 plug has a thick cord and the other plug is a thinner cord, if i put the thick plug in the top port and the other in the bottom port it works fine, if i swap the usb plugs around it just clicks

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Pine A64+ 2GB Board Schematic wenderfit 19 23,309 09-13-2016, 06:37 PM
Last Post: tllim
  Pine A64+ 1GB 10/100 ethernet? eli 1 3,356 06-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Last Post: tllim
Question Killed my Pine? Sailing_Nut 6 8,046 05-16-2016, 11:41 PM
Last Post: higamonster
  Does the Pine have ACPI to be able to be put in to sleep mode? MostHated 2 4,931 03-24-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: MostHated