I think I missed something simple.
Hi,

I received my RockPro64 with 4GB about 2 weeks ago, and this weekend, decided to assemble it in its case.

My question is about the boot sequence:  When I apply power from the power supply I purchased with it, the green power LED lights next to the plug, then the two lights on the ethernet port light and the yellow one flashes with the traffic from the switch.

There is *never* any output to either the HDMI monitor (1080p) or the 4k TV I also attached it to. (Although the TV seems to recognize that there is an HDMI device attached).  I tried two devices in case there was a problem, although both work fine with other things attached to the same inputs.

Should there be any output at boot time indicating that the board is alive, (POST, Diagnostics, anything) even if I have a problem with the boot image?

Just trying to figure out what I need to troubleshoot :-)

Thanks

Gerry
(08-04-2019, 01:29 PM)gdb Wrote: Hi,

I received my RockPro64 with 4GB about 2 weeks ago, and this weekend, decided to assemble it in its case.

My question is about the boot sequence:  When I apply power from the power supply I purchased with it, the green power LED lights next to the plug, then the two lights on the ethernet port light and the yellow one flashes with the traffic from the switch.

There is *never* any output to either the HDMI monitor (1080p) or the 4k TV I also attached it to. (Although the TV seems to recognize that there is an HDMI device attached).  I tried two devices in case there was a problem, although both work fine with other things attached to the same inputs.

Should there be any output at boot time indicating that the board is alive, (POST, Diagnostics, anything) even if I have a problem with the boot image?

Just trying to figure out what I need to troubleshoot :-)

Thanks

Gerry

Few more bits of info would be helpful: 1) which image (exactly - preferably link) are you trying to boot; 2) how did you flash the OS image; 3) did you try to ssh into the board?; 4) do you have a UART adapter on hand?
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thank you so much for your assistance Luke!

To answer your questions: Debian Stretch
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-b...m64.img.xz

I used the Pine64 installer from here: (Running on OSX 10.14.6)
https://github.com/pine64dev/PINE64-Inst.../README.md

I did not try to SSH into it, but it also never received an IPv4 address from the DHCP server, according to the logs there (No new devices noted)

As far as UART adapter, I have an FTDI friend, a GreatFET One, and a BusPirate somewhere, I just moved my office to a new room, and have not found a lot of things I know I have in there since then. If I need something else, just let me know.

Thanks

G
Is there something I should be trying, or should I just RMA?

Thanks

G
(08-13-2019, 01:28 PM)gdb Wrote: Is there something I should be trying, or should I just RMA?

Thanks

G

Are you using an microSD or an emmc? Have your tried different cards? Different OS's on those cards? Use a Linux distro or windows 10 and make a bootable from a downloaded image instead of the pine installer. See if the installer is the problem if the card is good. Check your hdmi cable too. See if any of that helps before you do a rma
On some boards you have to modify the jumpers to modify whether you use emmc or sd card
Thanks for the suggestions! I had written the same image to two different SD cards with the Pine64 Installer, and it did appear to write correctly (no errors on write), but neither image booted. I chose a different image and wrote it to one of the SD cards and it booted correctly. With no video output, I mistakenly assumed that the Rock was dead. I am glad I was wrong! Thanks again.