The PINEBOOK Pro M.2/NGFF NVMe SSD Interface Adapter
(08-08-2019, 03:59 AM)geokon Wrote: Is there some kind of upper limit in terms of throughput for the NVMe on the SoC side of things? I assume if you get some fancy Intel Optane thing it'll start to hit some other system limits

The limit for throughput is the PCIe interface that the NVMe communications are going through. In this case, it is a PCIe v2.1 x4 link.

A single (x1) PCIe2 link has a theoretical bandwidth of 500MB/s. More lanes adds more bandwidth in increments of 500MB/s. Therefore, the x4 link can theoretically do 2000MB/s (or in simpler terms, 2GB/s).

Those are just theoretical numbers, however, and reality is imperfect. There's also control signals and whatever else that has to go over that link. Reality is likely going to be somewhere around 1.5-1.7GB/s.

(08-08-2019, 03:59 AM)geokon Wrote: And similarly for the mSD. Is there an upper limit to the class that is supported? (past which you won't see any perf benefit)
I believe that the limit for what the microSD slot can support is UHS-I. Its fastest mode is "SDR104", which provides theoretical speeds of up to 104MB/s.
Community administrator and sysadmin for PINE64
(Translation: If something breaks on the website, forum, or chat network, I'm a good person to yell at about it)

@fire219 is mostly correct. PCIe 2.x is 5Gbps, but really only 4Gbps without overhead. So maximum of 16Gbps for data, using all 4 lanes. And yes, there really is 1Gbps overhead for a PCIe 2.x lane;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Expres...xpress_2.0

PCI 3.x and later, drop the overhead to an insignificant amount. So they can get away with PCIe 3's 8Gbps being double performance from PCIe 2's 5Gbps.

Of course, 16Gbps, (2GBytes ps), is still overwhelming  fast compared to the eMMC or even SATA.

And from my reading, the SD controller is version 3.0, which is up to 104MBps, depending on the card installed. (If UHS-I or later card is used, that gets the 104MBps speed. Older cards get 50MBps or less.)
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
fire219 said absolutely correct. 500 MB/s == 4Gbit/s.

As of SD cards, it's impossible to get 104MB/s on current Rockchip SoCs. Apparently for stability reasons, they limited SDMMC controller clock to 150MHz, which means maximum theoretical limit in SDR104 of 75 MB/s. and this is really good, because it's x3 faster than in pre UHS-I. UHS-II is not supported at all. I haven't seen an SBC with it supported.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
0.1W active, 0.04W idle, according to ARK . It's the same for the 2TB variant (which I got), and ARK is pretty definitive. Even has a link to the datasheet (which mostly repeats the same specs)
(08-12-2019, 09:58 AM)thequux Wrote: 0.1W active, 0.04W idle, according to ARK . It's the same for the 2TB variant (which I got), and ARK is pretty definitive. Even has a link to the datasheet (which mostly repeats the same specs)

ARK isn't always accurate unfortunately. The headline figures are usually right but I had a bad time when ARK said Ivybridge laptop CPUs supported HDMI 1.4 when they didn't support the full 1.4 clock speed.
(08-12-2019, 09:58 AM)thequux Wrote: 0.1W active, 0.04W idle, according to ARK . It's the same for the 2TB variant (which I got), and ARK is pretty definitive. Even has a link to the datasheet (which mostly repeats the same specs)

Active consumption quoted by vendors is usually averaged over some 'normal' use-case scenarios. The power rails still need to be able to supply the top draw of the device for short instances.

FWIW, I'm currently using a WD Blue SN500 NVMe with my RK3399 SBC, and though its average rating is sub-0.1W, its 'heavy-duty' is 2.7W, while its peak (as in absolute peak, sustained up to 10us) is 1.8A (x 3.3V = 5.9W). Keep in mind that's a very power-efficient model, top performers (Gen3 x4) can be rated up to 3A and then some.
Soo
   I see lots of good info on the module specs,

But what are the exact maximum speed specifications that the Pinebook Pro motherboard can support  ?
             ( A 3,500MBs read module would be impressive,  If  the board can handle it.)
                 ( Also higher wattage/more heat,  Thicker module )

maybe I missed something ?  
       ( I do seem to get more info each time I re-read thru this shared information. )

One module I saw had an 'active' .33  watt,  with 1,800MBs read,  not bad for stretching out the battery life..?
        ( PCIe 3.0 x4  and only  2.15mm thick ! )

Very Interesting....
                      I am hoping to find that perfect M.2 drive to put into my PBP when it finally arrives
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(10-03-2019, 05:37 PM)bcnaz Wrote: Soo
   I see lots of good info on the module specs,

But what are the exact maximum speed specifications that the Pinebook Pro motherboard can support  ?
             ( A 3,500MBs read module would be impressive,  If  the board can handle it.)
                 ( Also higher wattage/more heat,  Thicker module )

maybe I missed something ?  
       ( I do seem to get more info each time I re-read thru this shared information. )

One module I saw had an 'active' .33  watt,  with 1,800MBs read,  not bad for stretching out the battery life..?
        ( PCIe 3.0 x4  and only  2.15mm thick ! )

Very Interesting....
                      I am hoping to find that perfect M.2 drive to put into my PBP when it finally arrives

We are updating the Wiki with some information;

Pinebook_Pro_Main_Page - Expansion_Ports

The Rockchip RK3399 only supports PCIe 2.x speeds, which are 5GT/s per lane. Because of the 20% encoding overhead, that works out to 4Gbps per lane for data, commands and responses. So 4 lanes x 4Gbps = 16Gbps, or roughly 2GBytes per second maximum. Of course, transfers to memory may slow things down. While the RK3399 has 2 memory channels, they are not as wide as non-SoC computer chips.

Note that PCIe 3.x speed is 8GT/s, but is actually double PCIe 2.x since the encoding overhead has been drastically reduced.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(10-03-2019, 05:37 PM)bcnaz Wrote:  what are the exact maximum speed specifications that the Pinebook Pro motherboard can support  ?

4x PCIE 2.0 lanes make for a maximum speed of roughly 2GB/s. Drives capable of faster speeds will still work but can't exceed this speed limit.
SO  we definitely need to keep discussing the specifications for these M.2 modules,
        Accumulating more Data.

But as we are seeing some of the people who have already received their shiny new Pinebook Pro's
       are running into problems making them physically FIT into their laptops.

I would strongly suggest waiting before purchasing one until we see what the problem involves.
        IT seems that they do not have enough space behind the touch pad,  May just need a thinner module
            or it may mean needing to re-locate the module.

I am sure it will get resolved,  but  'How'   has not been determined     yet.

PLUS :    IT appears the M.2 module  'May Not'  be able to be used as THE  BOOT drive....
                            (Shucks,  I have the adapter already,  I hope they can make it bootable.)
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro on Debian 12 Power Issue u974615 1 229 03-13-2024, 10:46 AM
Last Post: u974615
  Pinebook Pro Source for Trackpad Flex / Ribbon Cable rankharris 1 179 02-17-2024, 07:06 PM
Last Post: tllim
  HDMI or VGA From Pinebook Pro via Pinebook Pro Docking Deck? segaloco 0 151 02-13-2024, 10:43 PM
Last Post: segaloco
  New Working nVME gilwood 0 155 02-12-2024, 08:46 AM
Last Post: gilwood
  Pinebook Pro charging issues tomekdev 1 525 01-05-2024, 08:40 PM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Replacement battery for PineBook Pro DrYak 3 955 11-07-2023, 10:09 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  Pinebook Pro Revised Keyboard Firmware jackhumbert 73 126,979 09-13-2023, 03:43 AM
Last Post: k3dAR
  NVME problems 2022 / Intel 660p 1TB Starbug 1 1,418 04-04-2023, 12:16 PM
Last Post: globaltree
  PineBook Pro dead ottahe 9 5,712 01-18-2023, 07:41 PM
Last Post: ottahe
  Pinebook Pro malfunctioned hardware samtux 10 4,138 12-27-2022, 03:31 PM
Last Post: samtux