SSD for PBP
Even though I mentioned the "HP SSD EX900 120GB" earlier, I'd recommend avoiding it like plague.

My newish desktop, (less than 6 months old), started with a single NVME, a "HP SSD EX900 120GB".
When more paychecks allowed, I bought a mirror device, (different size & model). Over the last 2
months I have been noticing issues with the "HP SSD EX900 120GB". Saturday it hit the fan, the old
"HP SSD EX900 120GB" went Read/Only on me, (with 37% spares remaining???).

This screwed up booting, (even though I have a mirror device with 100% GOOD data). Turns out with
the old device appearing like it had good data, that messed up booting Linux. Had to physically remove
the old "HP SSD EX900 120GB".

I'll try and see if I can send it back in for warranty replacement. Though I don't know if I would be willing
to trust it's replacement.

On a different thread of thought, I am looking for NVMEs with PLP, (Power Loss Protection). Perhaps in a battery
powered laptop it won't be needed. But, I do want to consider one for my newish desktop as a replacement for
a failed drive.

This PLP allows the drive to complete any transactions it has already received, but not yet written to stable media.
Some flash drives advertise that they have power loss protection for data at rest. That's different and means the
data is safe from power surges during power loss or power on.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
(09-12-2019, 06:30 PM)D4RK Wrote: Will this adapter that i have work on PBP? Because it's too expensive to buy fom pine64 store, only taxes and shiping are expensive.

I don't have the mechanical drawings for the PBP yet, but I severely doubt that adapter could work.  There is very little room inside the PBP, and as you can see the connecting cable is very thin and has molded angles to fit:

https://store.pine64.org/?product=pinebo...ce-adapter

You can order the adapter and the Pinebook Pro at the same time.  So there would be very little, if any, difference in shipping cost.
(09-13-2019, 11:35 AM)zaius Wrote: You can order the adapter and the Pinebook Pro at the same time.  So there would be very little, if any, difference in shipping cost.
Can you? The order page says

"Due to Lithium-ion battery in Pinebook, the shipment of Pinebook Pro orders will be handled differently from other Pine64 products, that’s the reason we didn’t allow to combined Pinebook Pro order with other Pine64 products. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

This reads to me like accessories need to be a separate order.
(09-14-2019, 05:21 PM)chithanh Wrote:
(09-13-2019, 11:35 AM)zaius Wrote: You can order the adapter and the Pinebook Pro at the same time.  So there would be very little, if any, difference in shipping cost.
Can you? The order page says

"Due to Lithium-ion battery in Pinebook, the shipment of Pinebook Pro orders will be handled differently from other Pine64 products, that’s the reason we didn’t allow to combined Pinebook Pro order with other Pine64 products. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."

This reads to me like accessories need to be a separate order.

It does read that way, even if you ignore it's written in past tense.  I couldn't order a Pine-labeled SD card at the same time. 

Then the SD card I ordered separately didn't have a Pine logo Angry 

Anyway, as far as I know, you should be able to order a PBP and its NVMe adapter at the same time.  Please, see this thread:

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7754

I ordered the PBP and M.2 adapter at the same time.  So unless something has changed, a "combined Pinebook Pro order with other Pine64 products" makes an exception for the adapter.
(09-12-2019, 06:30 PM)D4RK Wrote: Will this adapter that i have work on PBP? Because it's too expensive to buy fom pine64 store, only taxes and shiping are expensive.

Will not work on PBP due to the flat ribbon connector is different.
Has anyone tried the Kingston A2000 in a Pinebook Pro yet? I'm still waiting for mine to ship but it would be nice to get some feedback from people who have received theirs already and tried an SSD.  Huh
The first PBP batch was not even shipped.
Oh really?  that explains the lack of feedback indeed... :/
(07-27-2019, 02:37 PM)zaius Wrote: Many users will want install a larger and faster drive.  So I'm starting this thread for questions and answers, and will update the information in this first post.

So far, there are at least five main issues:

1) The physical specifications.  They were posted earlier.  Sorry, I couldn't find the post.

2) Mounting hardware and installation.

3) Power consumption.  

"Around 2.5W reserved for NVMe drive. Please don't use the power hungry type SSD which can creates heat and power consumption issue."

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...8#pid47438

"the 3.3V regulator which is responsible for supplying the NVMe adapter can handle up to 8.25W momentarily, and isn't put under significant load by much else in the system"

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...5#pid48355

4) Heat. This is related to power consumption. It shouldn't make the PBP too uncomfortable to use, or make the drive or other components exceed their operating temperature.  Finding suitable drives will likely be the result of trial and error.  Fortunately, external enclosures are available, so buying a drive that runs too hot in the PBP won't be a complete loss.  Undecided

5) Starting up from the SSD as the system drive.

(Since I already placed my PBP order, I'm guessing I'm in the first 100, so I'm willing to do some testing on this issue.  I plan on buying two different 256 GB, then using one as a USB back-up drive.  Larger drives consume more power and produce more heat, but so far it looks like some 2TB drives should work
             I  Wonder if someone is working on a simple way to make the M.2 NVMe PCIe  the boot drive  ?
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
@bcnaz About booting from NVMe -- PCIe (which is the interface used for NVMe in the PBP) is not bootable. That said, it is possible to run your OS from NVMe, but some trickery is needed. More specifically, you'll need to keep the /boot partition with the dtb, kernel image and extlinux on eMMC, and flash the OS rootfs to NVMe. Then, you need to point extlinux to the NVMe SSD.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter