SSD for PBP
** VERY INTERESTING !

Any chance these new UFS modules would simply plug into the current eMMC socket ?
OR would they require a different socket ? ( or need to be soldered on the board ? )
I did not find much information on a quick search, but I did see they claim to use about 35% less power than current eMMC modules, while being faster.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-22-2019, 06:20 AM)bcnaz Wrote: **  VERY INTERESTING  !

Any chance these new UFS modules would simply plug into the current eMMC socket   ?
No, as best I can tell, the require a totally different host interface. One that the RK3399 used in the Pinebook Pro does not have.

My comment was that if we build a new PCIe storage board, and can find a PCIe to storage controller that supports both eMMC & UFS, then that would be ideal. We make the eMMC plug compatible with the existing one, making an easy storage increase using 128GB eMMC modules. If we eventually get UFS modules, those could be installed as well.

(12-22-2019, 06:20 AM)bcnaz Wrote: OR would they require a different socket ?  ( or need to be soldered on the board ? )
I would think we could get them as socketed modules, (where we solder the UFS chip to an interface board). There does appear to be a UFS card standard, but I have not clue if they are produced in larger sizes. Or even widely available.

(12-22-2019, 06:20 AM)bcnaz Wrote: I did not find much information on a quick search,  but I did see they claim to use about 35% less power than current eMMC modules, while being faster.
I did not find any comparision of the power used, but later standards do state lower power can be implimented.

One nice thing about UFS, is that it supports the SCSI commands, like tagged command queuing and SMART equiv.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
UFS :

**  I did read another  'comparison'  (Post) That stated it used more power upon use, but less power per time period..

There was also no real dollar prices,  they state it is, or will be,  used in 'Higher-end Devices'  (?)

SO likely as a consumer,  what we will see in the  'near future'  will be extremely 'Over-priced',   (even if the cost to build is the same or less)

As when a single big name brings out a new SSD type the prices are very high,  but when there are many selling them,  the prices drop a lot.

Perhaps for now we could ask for an interface adapter to utilize the PCIe expansion port on our PBP's that could possibly use the MMC modules we have available
at a 'reasonable price'....  ?  

Would a pair of MMC modules possibly consume less power than one PCIe module  ?      As in the previous mention of Raid combination.
      LINUX = CHOICES
         **BCnAZ**
               Idea
   Donate to $upport
your favorite OS Team
(12-22-2019, 06:52 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ...
Would a pair of MMC modules possibly consume less power than one PCIe module  ?      As in the previous mention of Raid combination.

From the SanDisk eMMC data sheet, (it's on the PBP wiki), the 128GB module seems to run about 1 to 1.5watt maximum. And generally 1/2 to 1/3 that for simpler use. So it does look like a PCIe adapter board with eMMC adapter chip & memory module would use less power than many NVMe SSD drives. (Assuming the PCIe to eMMC adapter chip uses less than 1 watt.)

That's low enough that I would want a PCIe to dual eMMC adapter chip, if possible. The PCIe bus can certainly handle the throughput.
--
Arwen Evenstar
Princess of Rivendale
MyDigitalSSD SBX

I didn't find a datasheet.  Here is their web site:

https://mydigitalssd.com/pcie-m2-ngff-ssd.php

Reviews:

https://www.warp2search.net/story/mydigi...me-review/
https://www.legitreviews.com/mydigitalss...w_206201/7

https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?...7#pid55307
People may be interested in these test results of laptop battery life with different NVMe drives, though it's not PBP specific and is from the end of 2018. Tom's found over a 50% difference in battery life between the best and worst drives (both were Samsung in 2 of the 3 sizes tested).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/not...152-3.html
I read this whole thread but it's been a while and the Kingston A2000 seems to have been discontinued.  A possible alternative is the Intel 660P 1 TB, $125 0.1 W (Active) 0.04 W (Standby)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1...html/specs
I don't know if it will fit/work.  OK it gets a "good" in the compatibility table.

And now we also have 1 TB SD cards https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Nt...yes&sts=ma at $259.  All the "Extreme" models from Sandisk are lifetime warranty as I recall.  I wonder about power consumption.

I guess the moral of the story is don't spend a lot of time reading old documentation.  I wasn't planning to buy one at all.
(12-23-2019, 01:57 AM)Arwen Wrote:
(12-22-2019, 06:52 PM)bcnaz Wrote: ...

From the SanDisk eMMC data sheet, (it's on the PBP wiki), the 128GB module seems to run about 1 to 1.5watt maximum. And generally 1/2 to 1/3 that for simpler use. So it does look like a PCIe adapter board with eMMC adapter chip & memory module would use less power than many NVMe SSD drives. (Assuming the PCIe to eMMC adapter chip uses less than 1 watt.)

That's low enough that I would want a PCIe to dual eMMC adapter chip, if possible. The PCIe bus can certainly handle the throughput.

If we're talking PCIe breakout boards with a pair of eMMC sockets I'd love to just go all the way and stick a PLX chip on and add an A+E key m.2 slot for a commodity wifi card. I've had a pretty mediocre experience with the onboard wifi, I'd love to throw a $15 intel card in instead. There should be plenty of physical space for it.
Hi Everyone,

has anyone gotten a Kingston A2000 1TB to work with the NVMe adapter? In the Wiki I saw the 500GB is working. 

Mine works perfectly when I connect it to the PBP using a ORICO TCM2-C3 external enclosure but when I attach it to the adapter board the only noticeable thing is a significantly (1 minute) longer boot time ending with the following references to nvme in the output to the screen, maybe it means something to someone:
  nvme nvme0: Device shutdown incomplete; abort shutdown
  nvme nvme0: Identify controller failed (881)
After the extra minute the system boots normally but I the drive is nowhere to be found.

(With the NVMe board installed without the A2000 there is no boot delay.)

I’m running Debian 10. A massive thank you to Daniel for his installer script!! 

.jpeg   8492A03A-5899-4210-9D14-6979393AF1CA.jpeg (Size: 76.23 KB / Downloads: 321)
I should be getting a new PBP delivered in the next batch (shipping out of HK on the 29th of May?) I also ordered the M.2/NGFF NVMe SSD Interface.  

Based on a new setup, June 2020, what would be a good SSD here?  I'd like to take advantage of the NVMe speed, anything above 500GB, preferably 1TB, with minimal setup.  Price isn't a problem, I really just want a simple and speedy upgrade.  

What would someone recommend?