First Pinebook Pro project discussion
(08-08-2019, 07:26 PM)Watercourse Wrote: As a humble (and lazy) end-user type, i'd be looking forward to an Ubuntu LTS install (did i mention lazy?) but am just as happy with alternative DE's.
Never too lazy to learn a little, Just not so much i gets a headache. Big Grin

But what fun is it if you don't challenge yourself? 

We all have to start someplace...
-Happy Testing
(Posted from my Pinebook  PRO Mate)
Getting Paid to break your product (and make it better) since 2005
My first "project" for the PBP is simply to take my Macbook Pro out of its involvement in the administration of my ARM cluster. It's mostly Xu4s, with two setup on a KVM switch for desktop use and administration of their particular segments in my cluster. That is not ideal, given I do most of my best thinking in an entirely different area than my cluster is located and I'm just not thrilled with VNC access from my macbook for a variety of reasons. I believe a better and more elegant level of integration between an ARM based laptop and the cluster will be possible. I'll mostly be busy working on achieving that at first.

Beyond that, I'm hoping to use it for my daily driver as much as possible. This will be a step down from my MBP as far as tech spec's go, but I am not a fan of the direction Apple has gone in the post-Jobs era and I despise the feel of the keyboard on newer Macbooks. A huge degree of my satisfaction with the PBP will rest on how the keyboard and trackpad function and feel. For me, that's like 60 percent of my perception of laptops. Other things are important, but if every time I go to type and do something with the pointing device I find myself criticizing it or wishing it was different, it just sucks no matter how good everything else is. All the other specs look promising, my fingers are big time crossed on the feel of the keyboard and pointing device.
(08-09-2019, 06:34 AM)MrTester Wrote:
(08-08-2019, 07:26 PM)Watercourse Wrote: As a humble (and lazy) end-user type, i'd be looking forward to an Ubuntu LTS install (did i mention lazy?) but am just as happy with alternative DE's.
Never too lazy to learn a little, Just not so much i gets a headache. Big Grin

But what fun is it if you don't challenge yourself? 

We all have to start someplace...

Agreed. That could be a definition of fun, couldn't it?   :-)
Sorry. Getting off-topic.
(08-09-2019, 11:29 AM)odinson Wrote: My first "project" for the PBP is simply to take my Macbook Pro out of its involvement in the administration of my ARM cluster. It's mostly Xu4s, with two setup on a KVM switch for desktop use and administration of their particular segments in my cluster. That is not ideal, given I do most of my best thinking in an entirely different area than my cluster is located and I'm just not thrilled with VNC access from my macbook for a variety of reasons. I believe a better and more elegant level of integration between an ARM based laptop and the cluster will be possible. I'll mostly be busy working on achieving that at first.

Beyond that, I'm hoping to use it for my daily driver as much as possible. This will be a step down from my MBP as far as tech spec's go, but I am not a fan of the direction Apple has gone in the post-Jobs era and I despise the feel of the keyboard on newer Macbooks. A huge degree of my satisfaction with the PBP will rest on how the keyboard and trackpad function and feel. For me, that's like 60 percent of my perception of laptops. Other things are important, but if every time I go to type and do something with the pointing device I find myself criticizing it or wishing it was different, it just sucks no matter how good everything else is. All the other specs look promising, my fingers are big time crossed on the feel of the keyboard and pointing device.

In regards to your track-pad comment, 90% of the time, I use an external mouse, the other 10% of the time I wish the eraser head of the IBM ThinkPad era...

Back on topic, that may be one of my first projects is tweaking and discussing mods to optimize the track-pad.
-Happy Testing
Probably start by just messing around with Debian or Ubuntu mate. See how it all works out just testing to give feedback on those two projects and the pinebook pro itself.

After that, we shall see, curious what other projects people will start up.
I am giving this a bump to get back above all the redundant pre-order threads.

Also, wanted to identify my actions:

Benchmark (open to methods, and tools of preference)
NVMe performance test, benchmark, and thermal assessment.
General performance tweaks and interoperablitiy testing.
Open to more tasks for anyone that is curious!
-Happy Testing
This will be my portable machine replacing a $110 chrome book which is mostly used by my wife when she does e-mail and blogging. For sure my needs aren't much but I'm looking forward to the 1080 IPS Panel and Magnesium Alloy Shell body. I think I'll probably install Ubuntu on it first. It's my main OS on my desktop machines. I bought the NVME adapter so I'll likely get a 512MB drive.

I got in on the first batch so I'll try to post some videos with first impressions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,902 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 298 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 226 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 166 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 618 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,220 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,998 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,121 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt