rockPro64 vs Odroid-N2
Rockpro64 board is broken I expect a new one with RMA. 
I've been using N2 for a month, a very very very bad board for Linux. N2 may be Android box but it cannot be an Rp64. 
I am looking forward to the arrival of the new RP64 board.
(07-12-2019, 12:07 PM)kardanadm Wrote: Rockpro64 board is broken I expect a new one with RMA. 
I've been using N2 for a month, a very very very bad board for Linux. N2 may be Android box but it cannot be an Rp64. 
I am looking forward to the arrival of the new RP64 board.

Could you go into some details about why? I'm on the fence about these two boards. On paper they look pretty comparable, so some anecdotes about Linux support would help.
hm... i would be interested in why your saying that as well.... As a developer i have been working on both of these boards since they came out using linux and some custom software i am working on as well as creating a bsd based os for both these boards and find both pretty much par when it comes to linux depending on what your expecting to do with them...

both boards are driven by totally different SoCs so there as some discrete differences which have lead to some areas in both boards being at different stages with whatever code your finding out in the public... but all things considered they are both the 2 best current boards currently available...

Then theres the vim3 but its badly designed with the M8 socket badly positioned leaving something like a ssd drive hanging way to far over the board making for trouble down the road with socket breaks and bad connections... Personally i believe they added the m8 to late into the design as they were looking for something to give them the edge over the N2 which currently dominates the Amlogic sbc board as the m8 socket is appealing to users... I buy and work on boards all the time as i have a full rework and repair shop and would never sell a bad design like that to anyone...

anyways... i would be curious as to why the "very,very,very bad board" is your impression...
(07-31-2019, 07:25 AM)buzzmarshall Wrote: hm... i would be interested in why your saying that as well.... As a developer i have been working on both of these boards since they came out using linux and some custom software i am working on as well as creating a bsd based os for both these boards and find both pretty much par when it comes to linux depending on what your expecting to do with them...

both boards are driven by totally different SoCs so there as some discrete differences which have lead to some areas in both boards being at different stages with whatever code your finding out in the public... but all things considered they are both the 2 best current boards currently available...

Then theres the vim3 but its badly designed with the M8 socket badly positioned leaving something like a ssd drive hanging way to far over the board making for trouble down the road with socket breaks and bad connections... Personally i believe they added the m8 to late into the design as they were looking for something to give them the edge over the N2 which currently dominates the Amlogic sbc board as the m8 socket is appealing to users... I buy and work on boards all the time as i have a full rework and repair shop and would never sell a bad design like that to anyone...

anyways... i would be curious as to why the "very,very,very bad board" is your impression...

RockPro64 was working fine. I turned it off one night and couldn't open it in the morning. Green led flicker. I sent it to Ameridroid, he returned it to me for doing too many RMAs. Now at home in his death sleep Smile I miss him so much.

I am a very novice linux user. I'm proceeding with trial and error, I also don't know English, these are great handicap Smile

Odroid-N2 is a nice board fast but Mate desktop is not good, No EGL / GPU Acceleration on X11 and will not support at all. I don't know if they'il find another cure for that, nobody knows!
I am using these SBCs like windows PC.
I have a very powerful HTPC, but I'm just turning it on for the game.

SBCs are quieter and save 30% -40% energy Smile
sorry been busy and away for awhile...

ya theres a few growing pains with both boards as far as the gpu stack and acceleration goes... and only time will tell if and when they are totally fixed, but the good news is progress is being made...

I quess it all comes down to what you want to do with the sbc's and how the growing pains effect what you expect to do with the sbc...

I've moved away from the typical media/tv player as theres so much more that can be done with the RockPro64 and the N2 as controllers for other purposes and are pursuing things in those directions... don't get me wrong as they both make excellent media/tv devices as well...

As well i have moved away from most of the linux distro's and gone back to bsd which actually works quite well and has a better licensing arrangement for any developer wanting more control and protection of their sources...

Slowly i have come to the conclusion that i prefer the Rockchip soc over the N2 for the area i am working in... The N2 is nice but when writing a development IDE i found that Rockchip and information is more readily available and accurate then a lot of the Amlogic info, but have noticed when it comes to media/tv stuff the N2 seems to be getting more attention then the RockPro64's which is a bit disappointing to see as the RockPro64 is a nice device as well...

Anyways good luck and best wishes to you and your endeavours...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 174 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 673 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,085 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 835 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,240 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  Cant get rockpro64 working brasilikum 3 1,702 03-19-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: runyor
  RockPro64 Stopped working WarpLover 5 2,519 02-06-2023, 10:10 AM
Last Post: diizzy
Lightbulb ROCKPro64 + SSD case model for 3D print Spater 0 958 01-27-2023, 07:43 PM
Last Post: Spater
  RockPro64 and Neon rapier1 2 1,692 10-21-2022, 07:44 AM
Last Post: rapier1