Pine64 Hardware and FSF RYF Certification
hehe, this is exactly how x86 machines start - CPU executes the memory mapped code in the SPI flash. and, as you can see, it doesn't give you any "trust" you want. you don't trust it, am I correct?
and nothing more elegant in that method. it's just a more cut off variant not giving flexibility in choosing the boot way at this level. for PCs, it's ok, because they conventionally all have such SPI chips for firmware and all boot OSes from the same source - beefy HDDs/SSDs. for mobile, SPI NOR (NAND. eMMC etc) may be not present all, there is no single conventional source of booting, even for firmware, it may be any of those mentioned, it's decided later on the board design level, so SoC vendors need to devise a little bit smarter way of choosing where to go next - this is what ROM code is for and what it does. it chooses, based on board configuration what to boot from - SPI, NAND, SD, eMMC and proceeds. it's a minimalistic, yet pretty capable piece of code and it's always there, always guaranteed to work - much better, much flexible. you want SPI for FW - get it, another one wants to boot from boot areas of eMMC - okay! your "elegant method" is not able to satisfy this as easy (it's more restricted - requires SPI that narrows choices for board makers - pins are shared), but moreover, - it is not suitable for end users, since it lets them break things easy, but for fixing it, they would need to learn what the fsck "pinmux" is and get some soldering skills. Big Grin again, it's not a "tinkerer workshop" or classes for learning, SoC vendors sell products, the products cannot be breakable easily. all SoCs I am aware of have this model and it's a good model.
Pine doesn't have any influence on the boot flow of the firmware.
other ARM SoCs aren't "more open source friendly." as you call them. lol, Apple is so "friendly", that one barely can know about their phone SoC anything but ad blurb. often you won't get even a TRM for the SoC, say mediatek or marvel, qualcomm. nothing available. we must be thankful, that these fabless vendors from china making their SoCs mostly for android OTT boxes (and not for SBC tinkerers overly bothered with "trust"), provide some documentation at all.
in the end, on the example of the discussed ROM code, we see, that its openness is not needed - 1) there are no secrets over there, it's basic boot initializing and choice decision for the boot source and 2) it's made permanent inside an SoC for reliability, but the permanence makes opensourcing it pointless. however, there are fileds where there are secrets*. just look at this hidden GPU land - total lack of information, vendors are afraid of losing their technological achievements, this is what matters, not the imaginary "trust". why do you want this trust in computers and not in, for example gasoline? why don't you demand that all the technological process of gasoline production had been disclosed? or food. beer. why not demand all breweries over the world open recipes of their products? come on, it's not serious.

* - actually, ROM code as well may need to be kept secret, it starts in Secure mode after all! there might be things related to providing security - ironically, ROM code then would be what is called The Root Of Trust Big Grin - and obviously, it should not be modifiable or even readable outside of Secure world, definitely it's not the same "trust" you want. and here, I suspect, you, freedom guys, and hw vendors, have different understanding of who should own this root. the former apparently would say - if we bought a device, everything related to it, should be at our discretion (which is not true). the latter would say, it's security, we care about you (you are important to us Big Grin), security isn't being done this way, if we let everybody modify it, no security will be available and you will become a target of attackers. their power is ability to make it, yours is ability to not buy, what is stronger? Big Grin
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Pine64 Hardware and FSF RYF Certification - by z4v4l - 09-13-2019, 07:34 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to connect to Pine64 IRC channel due to certificate error? Must-Borrow 1 400 03-10-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: Must-Borrow
  hardware updates ??? aular 0 304 03-05-2024, 08:28 PM
Last Post: aular
  Forum Recommendations for Pine64 support? backwoodstech2 0 398 02-04-2024, 07:12 PM
Last Post: backwoodstech2
  Im thinking of building a Pine64 cluster Theirat1991 1 589 01-12-2024, 03:31 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  PINE64 EU / Disappointment yoriel79 1 901 12-24-2023, 11:00 PM
Last Post: meekice
  How is it going Pine64.org? Corfromleuven 2 1,078 12-23-2023, 08:15 PM
Last Post: polinkuer12
  Registering my 'nick' on Pine64's IRC network diederik 5 1,175 11-13-2023, 07:36 PM
Last Post: ilebagels
  pine64 opensource dumbphone Phie 13 3,901 08-16-2023, 02:29 PM
Last Post: Phie
  Possible new Pine64 product - Pine Blue Ray DVD Linux tv box Omnios 5 1,523 07-24-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Omnios
  My Pine64 Logo Re-Design & Thoughts About A New Logo me! 0 712 04-24-2023, 10:03 PM
Last Post: me!