2GB board doesn't actually have 2GB
So I'm a bit disappointed by this. Hoping this is a software/kernel issue that will be fixed later on and not a manufacturing issue. I've installed the latest version of Ubuntu that is available from @longsleep.

Code:
root@localhost:~# cat /proc/meminfo
MemTotal:        2036600 kB

Using my trusty calculator, that's only 1.94GB of RAM. 2GB would be 2097152 kB. Seem to be 60552 bytes short. If anything, I would have expected it to have a few K "over" 2GB.
Oh snap, my 32Gb desktop system only reports 32870836 or 31.35 Gb... (ie: it is a non issue)

For your own sanity, I hope you never break out your trusty calculator for your hard drives...
Don't even get me started on the stupidity of HDD manufacturers in what they did to screw everyone years ago...

I would have sent those memory sticks back if I were you; unless there's fine print that states RAM is measured in factors of 1000 instead 1024 (like HDDs). It certainly IS an issue to me. If I buy a stick of RAM that states 16GB, I expect all the RAM to be there. If I buy a 16oz soda, I expect 16oz in the can, not 15.3oz.
It is because some RAM needs to be reserved for other things and cannot be used by the OS. No issue at all.
If that is your stance you will be sending back every piece of computer hardware that mentions capacity of any kind... I am unable to find a single system that reports RAM at exactly the capacity stated...

You are in for a lifetime of disappointment.
(04-25-2016, 02:29 PM)utdrmac Wrote: It certainly IS an issue to me. If I buy a stick of RAM that states 16GB, I expect all the RAM to be there. If I buy a 16oz soda, I expect 16oz in the can, not 15.3oz.

You never heard about partitioning area, bad blocks or similar parts of a drive? Do you really compare liquids to hardware?
Come on, there really are some issues here with the board, but calculating RAM or size of a disk definitely is no real problem...

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
Guys, please stop feeding this thread - DRAM sized has nothing in common with disk size. The last piece of information i give is that my Kernels reserve 64MB for CMA and that is all you need to know. There is no fix. If you want to make more RAM available to the system rebuild your own Kernel with CMA disabled.
I don't know what kind of crappy RAM sticks you guys are getting but my desktop shows MORE than the label, not less. Additionally, I just fired off a quick bash script to do "cat /proc/meminfo | head -1" on about 200 servers in our datacenter and they all report MORE ram (albeit just a few K more).

@longsleep, thanks for that; that makes sense.
(04-25-2016, 02:48 PM)utdrmac Wrote: I don't know what kind of crappy RAM sticks you guys are getting but my desktop shows MORE than the label, not less. Additionally, I just fired off a quick bash script to do "cat /proc/meminfo | head -1" on about 200 servers in our datacenter and they all report MORE ram (albeit just a few K more).

@longsleep, thanks for that; that makes sense.

Obviously we all be running the wrong parts. Want to share what MB/CPU/RAM part #'s you use 

lshw -C memory

would do the job nicely.