no permanent MAC address? need it to give Pine64 a reserved IP.
It is done in U-Boot. If you add a line ethaddr=what-ever-mac-you-want to uEnv.txt it will be added automatically. See https://github.com/longsleep/u-boot-pine...1p1.h#L373 - if you do not see this behavior your image U-Boot is too old.

Forgot to say that the images also automatically add that line to uEnv.txt on boot if it is not there.
(04-28-2016, 10:20 AM)longsleep Wrote: If you do not see this behavior your image U-Boot is too old.

And what do the Pine64 folks? Still list old and crappy OS images that date back before you made this change on March 5th. So everything as expected, this whole thread would've been absolutely unnecessary if the Pine64 folks would start to document stuff correctly (link to your threads, remove outdated/crappy OS images they made themselves from the Wiki, point out that all images are able to get u-boot and kernel updates).
(04-28-2016, 10:25 AM)tkaiser Wrote:
(04-28-2016, 10:20 AM)longsleep Wrote: If you do not see this behavior your image U-Boot is too old.

And what do the Pine64 folks? Still list old and crappy OS images that date back before you made this change on March 5th. So everything as expected, this whole thread would've been absolutely unnecessary if the Pine64 folks would start to document stuff correctly (link to your threads, remove outdated/crappy OS images they made themselves from the Wiki, point out that all images are able to get u-boot and kernel updates).

@tkaiser & @longsleep,

@tkaiser - we have heard your complaints about lack of documentation. this thread is complete, i got my answer, others can search the forums and find this thread archived, that is documentation and it has served its purpose. the thread should be closed. i politely request, please, you not continue hijacking my threads for your own, tangental issues. if this is a continuing issue for you, please start a "lack of documentation" thread of your own. i will gladly camp-on and agree that documentation, anywhere, can always be improved.

@longsleep - i know you say your images all maintain the same MAC address after first boot, but this one did not. ever. random MAC address, random DHCP IP address because of that, every time. if you wish, perhaps we can communicate over e-mail and i can give you details on what i found with my Pine64 A64+ w/ 2GB RAM to help out. anything to improve future releases. and again, i do appreciate all you do for this community, thank you.

best,

—  faddah
     portland, oregon, u.s.a.
Any decent router can be sent to use a static address assignment. If the one you have can not it it really Comcast's problem. The free one I got with my Verizon FIOS can do it. It not a Pine problem, for once.
This thread is closed.

Please see the sticky posts on ethernet sub-forum by longsleep, and others.
marcushh777    Cool

please join us for a chat @  irc.pine64.xyz:6667   or ssl  irc.pine64.xyz:6697

( I regret that I am not able to respond to personal messages;  let's meet on irc! )

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rock64: MAC Address is NOT Unique! PDXpi 3 4,841 02-01-2021, 12:12 AM
Last Post: PDXpi
  The Mac Address Would Not Change on Debian, nor Gentoo MarkHaysHarris777 5 8,897 03-27-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: grobbs
  Howto use MAC address as printed on the label on the back longsleep 3 6,081 08-21-2016, 07:31 AM
Last Post: MarkHaysHarris777
  Pine64+ 1GB Ethernet Port spec ecotack 13 15,742 08-20-2016, 09:28 PM
Last Post: pfeerick