Which option do you prefer 64GB or 16GB
16GB at $79
14.63%
64GB at $99
85.37%
41 vote(s)
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Want a 64GB eMMC PineTab upgrade?
I'd rather have 16GB for OS development just because it's so much faster to backup and restore. But I'd pay $20 more for 64GB in my daily-driver/production machine, so that's what I voted for.

I'm anxiously awaiting this product... and the Galaxy Tab S5E which should hit the streets in about a week.
(03-25-2019, 05:43 PM)Luke Wrote: We are considering upgrading the PineTab with 64GB eMMC. This would mean that it would mean it would retail for $99 ($118.99 with keyboard). Or would you prefer that we keep the original price of $79 with 16GB of eMMC ($99.99 with keyboard)?

I can see the dilemma.  While I definitely think the extra storage is worth the price, it does mean breaking the magic $100 barrier for tablet and keyboard.  In my mind, the PineTab will allow so much more than the "traditional" consumption-oriented uses and will also provide the features of a limited laptop (... the promise of the Netbook finally fulfilled?).  

On the other hand, 16GB would go a lot further on a pure linux system than in an Android environment.   It is more than enough space for a kernel and generous set of packages.  Coupled with a micro-sd card for most the actual content and "home" directory, it could still be a good system.

With 64GB onboard, the user would be able to host a very generous "home" directory and still have the micro-sd slot available for easily removable storage

I do have a couple of questions:

- Does the eMMC chip perform wear leveling?  If it does the 64GB could result in a significantly longer lifetime for the unit.

- Is the micro-SD slot directly connected to the A64 or is bridged through the USB bus?   I'm just trying to get a feel for how access speeds from the eMMC chip vs a high-speed micro-SD card will differ.    

16 or 64, I'm in.
(03-28-2019, 03:58 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:darkam I the only one impressed by this?  

not the potential storage upgrade, but the fact that a forum members posts a suggestion, and a day later there is a poll and serious consideration to make the change.

Thank you for the appreciation ... we'd like to think that users have grown accustomed to this by now, so its no longer a shocker.
PINE64 asks the community - or prominent members of the community at the very least - for input about just about every product and always.

I’ve got to say I’m extremely impressed by this. I don’t know of any other organisation that’s as responsive to its community. I’m new around here but I’ve got to say that although people may have grown accustomed to it, no-one should take it for granted.

I’ll be ordering both the Pinebook Pro and PineTab when the option becomes available. 

Thanks PINE64!
If I can "dual" boot this whould be great Smile trying out diferent distros.
(03-28-2019, 05:38 PM)InsideJob Wrote: I'd rather have 16GB for OS development just because it's so much faster to backup and restore. But I'd pay $20 more for 64GB in my daily-driver/production machine, so that's what I voted for.

I'm anxiously awaiting this product... and the Galaxy Tab S5E which should hit the streets in about a week.

True... but if that was a problem, just partition it so it's only 16GB or less? Then when you want the 64gb it's just a matter of resize or reformat!  Wink Best of both worlds then!
(03-28-2019, 05:38 PM)InsideJob Wrote: I'd rather have 16GB for OS development just because it's so much faster to backup and restore.

You can always make your partitions smaller and just block copy the individual partition devices.  As long as you make sure the partition table stays the same, things line up. 

A long time ago I used to do this to snapshot the bootblock, boot, and root partitions of some systems that had to be rebuilt frequently.  Since the layout never changed, I would just dd sda and set bs and count to copy to the end of the root partitions block.  As long as it was going back to the same device/block layout. recovery was just another dd call.
I'm new here, but wanted to add that:

1) I am excited to hear about all of these new hardware developments, and really appreciate the polling and open discussions.

2) I voted for the 64GB option, and I also would gladly pay extra for a 4GB RAM option, if you ever consider one.
A larger RAM capacity may be considered too, although very unlikely.

We've had similar feedback regarding the 64GB eMMC on Twitter, with approximately 80% of users agreeing selecting the 64GB option.
We'll let you know if its possible.

Personally, I agree that keeping the $99 price-tag is probably a better idea, but it seems that users are set to have more storage.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I'm looking forward to the PineTab because I plan to tinker with mounting a couple around my place and using them as thin clients to a central computer. A $20 bump means I buy one less tablet for storage I don't plan on using.

I think 16->64 is a meaningful jump for a portable device without a cell radio. For an immobile minimal-wiring situation with stable internet, the story is different, or for a device whose connectivity is mostly through wifi. Games like local storage as well, but I don't think gaming is a major use case here.
Is it possible to start it at 16GB and allow for upgrading the storage? That choice was a great decision with the Pinebook.

I'd still buy it either way. My (off-topic) concern is the UK shipping Sad
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  PineTab-V and PineTab 2 Launch - here's what you need to know Luke 8 2,875 07-28-2023, 09:20 AM
Last Post: zer0sig
Information August/ September Pinebook Pro, PineTab and PinePhone shipping thread Luke 256 371,123 10-27-2020, 11:14 AM
Last Post: Luke
  PineTab Chats Luke 4 7,359 10-26-2020, 04:05 AM
Last Post: GreyLinux
  PineTab Pre-Orders are up! Luke 22 36,558 07-30-2020, 05:34 PM
Last Post: bcnaz
  PineTab Update 24/07/2020 Luke 0 3,406 07-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Last Post: Luke
  London Meetup, PineTab News, SOEdge And More! (August Update Blog) fire219 22 32,344 08-30-2019, 06:47 PM
Last Post: evilbunny
  PinePhone, PineTab and Pinebook Pro June Update Luke 25 42,703 07-16-2019, 10:59 AM
Last Post: heocb