Rockpro64 boot issues
Hi all,

I've searched the forum for a solution to my problem. Here's a quick overview of my setup:

Rockpro64 4GB in a NAS case
eMMC 64GB module
PCI-E SATA-II controller
1x 3.5" sata harddrive connected
12V/5A power supply

Now hear this, I tried several images (OMV, Armbian, Bionic and Stretch) all show the same behavior.

The first time I boot the system all goes well. I then configure the network, install some packages like bridge-utils, vlan, smartmontools, mdadm and ats for fancontrol. When I poweroff the system it shuts down like it is supposed to. Nothing strange here..

And then when I want to boot it again, nothing happens. The amber led on the ethernet interface blinks and also the white led on the front of the board flashes in a random order. The ethernet leds don't become solid like they do at a successfull boot.

Sometimes, if I leave the power disconnected for several hours up to 24hrs.. It boots up normal, this thing is driving me mad.

I am using solely original parts from the pine64 shop. What am I missing here?

Am I missing something or is this a u-boot/kernel problem?
I might be wrong, but 3.5'' disks need 12 V power to spin up. Are you sure, you provide it? For example the power cable in the Pine64 store has as output only 5 V, thus it's for 2.5'' hdds and ssds.
ANT - my hobby OS for x86 and ARM.
(03-21-2019, 03:02 PM)z4v4l Wrote: I might be wrong, but 3.5'' disks need 12 V power to spin up. Are you sure, you provide it? For example the power cable in the Pine64 store has as output only 5 V, thus it's for 2.5'' hdds and ssds.

I feel really stupid right now, how could I've missed this. So obvious, thanks for pointing out!
(03-21-2019, 04:51 PM)larsgn Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 03:02 PM)z4v4l Wrote: I might be wrong, but 3.5'' disks need 12 V power to spin up. Are you sure, you provide it? For example the power cable in the Pine64 store has as output only 5 V, thus it's for 2.5'' hdds and ssds.

I feel really stupid right now, how could I've missed this. So obvious, thanks for pointing out!

Added a seperate picopsu to provide 12v to the 3.5" disk, still no luck.

The behaviour is the exact same.
(03-22-2019, 04:46 AM)larsgn Wrote:

3.5" drives do not run on the 12v rail. The adapter from the Pine store that steps down to 5v 3A is correct and works fine for me running two 3.5" NAS drives. So am I correct in assuming that you are not using the power supplied directly from the board? If you are using a separate power supply (outside of a case) have you jumped the pins to make it turn on ? Again, 12V is not what you need for your HDDs. Sorry, I don't know why you are having these issues.
(03-22-2019, 08:53 AM)usauwf Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 04:46 AM)larsgn Wrote:

3.5" drives do not run on the 12v rail. The adapter from the Pine store that steps down to 5v 3A is correct and works fine for me running two 3.5" NAS drives. So am I correct in assuming that you are not using the power supplied directly from the board? If you are using a separate power supply (outside of a case) have you jumped the pins to make it turn on ? Again, 12V is not what you need for your HDDs. Sorry, I don't know why you are having these issues.
So I was wrong about that, looked at the label of a 3.5" drive today and sure enough it had 12V 5A or 5V 3A on it, my apologies. Are your disks spinning up at all?
(03-21-2019, 02:02 PM)larsgn Wrote: Hi all,

I've searched the forum for a solution to my problem. Here's a quick overview of my setup:

Rockpro64 4GB in a NAS case
eMMC 64GB module
PCI-E SATA-II controller
1x 3.5" sata harddrive connected
12V/5A power supply

Now hear this, I tried several images (OMV, Armbian, Bionic and Stretch) all show the same behavior.

The first time I boot the system all goes well. I then configure the network, install some packages like bridge-utils, vlan, smartmontools, mdadm and ats for fancontrol. When I poweroff the system it shuts down like it is supposed to. Nothing strange here..

And then when I want to boot it again, nothing happens. The amber led on the ethernet interface blinks and also the white led on the front of the board flashes in a random order. The ethernet leds don't become solid like they do at a successfull boot.

Sometimes, if I leave the power disconnected for several hours up to 24hrs.. It boots up normal, this thing is driving me mad.

I am using solely original parts from the pine64 shop. What am I missing here?

Am I missing something or is this a u-boot/kernel problem?

I know this might sound really stupid but: How exactly do you start up your RockPro64? Just by plugging it in or do you also press the power button? I was struggling with this issue as well at first until I realized that by default you are supposed to press the PWR button for >1 second to start the board (see http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro64_Main_Page).
Put sd-card into sd-slot and power up the board. Don't touch power or reboot button. And have fun Wink
Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language

1. Quartz64 Model B, 4GB RAM

2. Quartz64 Model A, 4GB RAM

3. RockPro64 v2.1

https://linux-nerds.org/
Months later and still having the same issue, SD card or eMMC it doesn't matter. Starting to believe that I have a defective unit ever since it was delivered to my door based on the reactions I've got.

Yesterday I had to reboot the thing, didn't come back after the reboot. Left it powered off the whole night (seemed to work the last few times) and started it in the morning, still no luck. The ethernet amber led is flickering and the powerled on the front is blinking too. No matter what I try, it won't boot.
Took the board out of the casing, removed all peripherals. Just the bare board with eMMC, tried to boot it without success. Reformatted a SD card then put Buster minimal on it, it does not boot as well.

I'm running out of options here, only thing I can think of right now is to order the serial console thingy to debug whatever is visible on the console. In the meanwhile I have to migrate all of my stuff because the thing will not run..

This thing is giving me a headache.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Installing Wifi drive for the RockPro64 John45595 0 177 02-10-2024, 11:32 PM
Last Post: John45595
  enble boot after power loss/restore dkebler 18 8,944 12-04-2023, 12:14 PM
Last Post: ok38
  Mainline U-Boot with SPI, NVMe and SATA boot support sigmaris 108 116,569 09-25-2023, 12:46 AM
Last Post: ChriChri
Wink You don't sell case and fan for "ROCKPro64 4GB Single Board Computer"? Clea 1 674 09-17-2023, 12:00 AM
Last Post: tllim
Bug Broken boot: What am I missing? mkosarek 1 607 09-08-2023, 08:14 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Want to check maximum toggle speed in Rockpro64 board. kundanjha 0 627 08-14-2023, 07:55 AM
Last Post: kundanjha
  Unable to boot Armbian on new RockPro64 mooseball 5 4,086 07-14-2023, 08:59 AM
Last Post: rockjonn
  no boot white led flashing moserwi 7 4,108 05-18-2023, 10:46 AM
Last Post: wdt
  Hardware fix for software sound problem on Rockpro64 Ricks Rockpro 0 836 04-06-2023, 03:59 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro
  No sound on Rockpro64 with OpenWrt Patrice 1 1,241 04-06-2023, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Ricks Rockpro