Feature Complete Debian Desktop Release
Big Grin 
There has been a high demand for a feature complete and fully capable Linux Desktop for the RockPro64 RK3399, so myself and Lukasz teamed up to build one based on my minimal Debian build.

DOWNLOAD:
The download is available on the GitHub release

VIDEO PREVIEW:
Lukasz recorded a quick demo / intro to the capabilities for this release which can be viewed below

The video was taken prior to me correcting some of the MPV code so it doesn't showcase 4K, but that is now supported in the final release (30fps only).

INTRODUCTION:
This is a custom Debian Mate desktop build based on my minimal image. The great majority of hardware features of the RockPro64, such as WiFi/BT SDIO module and PCIe, work on this image!
Please reference the aforementioned minimal build thread to learn of the details for a minimal Debian install.

This build is meant to bring full fledged desktop functionality to the RockPro64 (and, in the future, to the Pinebook Pro) with an appreciation for end-user ease of use. We hope that the image manages to balance out-of-the-box usability, an aesthetic look and performance with sparsity of preinstalled applications, so that each user can tweak the experience to their individual liking and use-case.

INCLUDED:
  • Mate desktop at 1080p (with 4K as optional*) with Arc theme + icons, custom layout and background
  • Glamor accelerated Xorg with window compositing; running smooth as butter on default settings
  • Accelerated Chromium browser, with WebGL and WebGL 2.0 as well as accelerated video playback in browser - including 1080p Youtube and similar services
  • SMPlayer: Accelerated playback of 1080p and 720p local media
  • MPV Player: 4K @ 30fps playback of local media (right click 4k video -> select MPV Player)
  • OpenGL 3D acceleration via GL4ES; so if you want to play games then you’re in luck!
  • Set of common desktop utilities as well as some quality of life additions, including:  LibreOffice, caja-share (SMB GUI), Synaptic Package Manager, Puseaudio (for GUI audio output source selection), Mate Tweak (for desktop tweaks), GPARTED, handy applet to set CPU governor (non-scaling by default), etc.
  • Endless number of tweaks for smooth desktop performance
Experimental:
  • [edit Luke - moved from untested] USB-C video output 
LOGIN:
User credentials: rock/rock
Root credentials root/root

FIRST BOOT:
The first boot will take longer to boot and then immediately reboot once time, this is to auto-size your system to the full capacity of your SD card or eMMC

REPORTING ISSUES:
This is an initial release of the OS image and, as with any such release, some things may not work as intended or break. To help us fix the issues you’re experiencing, please provide any relevant information when reporting problems; we presently don’t have a crystal ball on hand, so we are heavily reliant on logs to deduce the nature of the issue you’re experiencing. The preinstalled Hexchat takes you directly to #Rock64 in the IRC (please immediately change your nick using /nick after you enter the channel).

KNOWN ISSUES:
  • Chromium cannot be updated (it has been removed from apt update list on purpose) as it is custom and updating will break it's functionality
  • Installing Iceweasel (Firefox) via apt will not work. If Firefox is something you need then we know this .deb works, altho it's an older version
  • Thunderbird doesn’t work, you probably need a deb (armhf) for it too, or a custom compilation.
  • Some OpenGL 3D applications will either not work correctly with GL4ES OR will only work in full screen at native resolution of your monitor (e.g. Tux Racer Extreme) when downloaded via apt. For most of these, the fix is to compile from source with necessary flags, rather than installing via apt to get them working.
  • LCD eDP and DSI / TP panels do not work … yet
  • [edit 17/03/2019 Luke] Low volume output on headphone jack
  • [edit 18/03/2019] the board locks up when mounting a PCIe drive as user (not root).
UNTESTED:
  • Cameras from PINE64 store
APPRECIATION
Please remember this is a community build, and just something we have worked on in our free time. There's no pressure at all, but if you appreciate the work then feel free to send me a buck on Paypal: mrfixit2001 at gmail

While I have done a great deal of debugging and development from a programming standpoint, the credit for the way the desktop interface is setup goes completely to Lukasz. He spent a LOT of time configuring it and setting it up to look so great!

Lastly, thanks to all of YOU for being part of the community!
- Mr Fix IT
Downloading NOW!!!
Just a quick note, seems like network manager is acting up (sometimes?) when trying to connect to WiFi - you can connect reliably via Preferences -> Network Connections -> Add
OR better yet, open terminal -> type nmtui -> use the GUI to connect to the WiFi access point. Not sure what is up with nm, but will be fixed in next build surely.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thank you very much, terrific experience.
USB-C video output is working but no sound
youtube videos 1080P ok, 4K videos not selectable
I will share my positive or negative experiences.
thanks again

edit:
The fan is not working. I think we need to install software for it to work.
Quote: USB-C video output is working but no sound

Good to know. The default sound output is to HDMI; curious if its possible to switch sources to USB-C somehow ... hmm... could you poke around and see if you can make sound work? try alsamixer perhaps ?

[edit]
Quote: The fan is not working. I think we need to install software for it to work.

There is good software for the fan from one of the users

Im sorry im no dev and cant seem to access desktop session, get greeted with tty1, insert credentials and stay on command screen, tried startx, sudo service lightdm start/restart service not found, how do i start desktop session? im using a 4k tv as display don't have an hdmi monitor at hand to test on separate display, did change edid to 1080 and after a few restarts still stuck at tty1 command screen. Am i missing command to start in desktop session? Or is just because of tv?
(03-15-2019, 04:57 PM)Luke Wrote:
Quote: USB-C video output is working but no sound

Good to know. The default sound output is to HDMI; curious if its possible to switch sources to USB-C somehow ... hmm... could you poke around and see if you can make sound work? try alsamixer perhaps ?

[edit]
Quote: The fan is not working. I think we need to install software for it to work.

There is good software for the fan from one of the users

USB-C: When I log in with Rock, I enter a password and the screen turns off when the system is fully turned on.

When I sign in with Root, your question works, but no sound.

experienced this problem in other desktop systems.

I have no Linux experience, my adventure started with Linux rockpro64. but I want to share my experience as best I can.
Exciting stuff, Mr Fix IT and Lukasz! Thanks for all your hard work. I'm very eager to test and demo the capabilities of this build on Category5 Technology TV! I'm also excited to see such great work ahead of the Pinebook Pro release (which will demand a accelerated browser experience, for example).

Keep up the great work! Video review will take a few weeks to get onto the air (we're booked right up) but we'll start testing immediately!
Robbie Ferguson // Bald Nerd
NEMS Linux: https://nemslinux.com/ | My TV Show: https://category5.tv/ | My Blog: https://baldnerd.com
(03-15-2019, 05:26 PM)NightCrawler504 Wrote: Im sorry im no dev and cant seem to access desktop session, get greeted with tty1, insert credentials and stay on command screen, tried startx, sudo service lightdm start/restart service not found, how do i start desktop session? im using a 4k tv as display don't have an hdmi monitor at hand to test on separate display, did change edid to 1080 and after a few restarts still stuck at tty1 command screen. Am i missing command to start in desktop session? Or is just because of tv?

I think it's 4K TV. Youtube shows 4k videos 1080p. There are 1080p in the options section and no other options.
(03-15-2019, 05:26 PM)NightCrawler504 Wrote: Im sorry im no dev and cant seem to access desktop session, get greeted with tty1, insert credentials and stay on command screen, tried startx, sudo service lightdm start/restart service not found, how do i start desktop session? im using a 4k tv as display don't have an hdmi monitor at hand to test on separate display, did change edid to 1080 and after a few restarts still stuck at tty1 command screen. Am i missing command to start in desktop session? Or is just because of tv?

Very strange. That shouldn't happen. You don't have to set anything, 1080p is forced upon you on the build just because 4K doesn't make for a good experience. To be honest, just reflash. If you still have the issue after you reflash, then please pastebin the output of dmesg.

[edit] could be a faulty SD card.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Vanilla mainline Debian 11 (Bullseye) on the RockPro64 Pete Tandy 22 16,834 08-16-2023, 01:34 AM
Last Post: varac
  How do I enable Pine touchdisplay as display on Debian? Thisone 0 515 04-23-2023, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Thisone
  Is some u-boot required on the SPI for installing debian with the official installer? callegar 1 1,284 10-25-2022, 10:07 AM
Last Post: ratzzupaltuff
  Armbian 22.02 Release Announcement TRS-80 0 1,111 02-28-2022, 05:08 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  Install Mali 400 Drivers for Debian 11 on RockPro64 MaverickPi 2 2,321 02-19-2022, 06:44 AM
Last Post: sigmaris
  Debian image configured for USB-C OTG? djonathan 2 2,488 01-06-2022, 03:09 AM
Last Post: susy1075
Bug Unreliable display in Armbian and Debian ksattic 3 3,070 11-17-2021, 05:42 AM
Last Post: PakoSt
  Debian Bullseye & RockPro64: No tty consoles? Pete Tandy 9 7,313 11-08-2021, 02:33 PM
  HBA Card working on Aufan's builds but not in debian, armbian or dietpi charsi 1 1,822 10-29-2021, 11:15 AM
  Two Questions About Debian on RockPro64 publiclewdness 0 1,273 09-30-2021, 11:54 AM
Last Post: publiclewdness