eMMC boot linux distros for Pinebook.
Are Xenial Mate and AOSC the only linux disros available to flash to the eMMC on the Pinebook?

I recently bought a 64Gb eMMC and could not flash Xenial Mate to it. I just got a "No eMMC detected" message. I opened a ticket on the support forum and they advised me to try and install Android 6. This worked but I want a linux on my Pinebook.

Also I do not want to boot from a Micro SD.

Can anyone help
(03-06-2019, 03:39 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: Are Xenial Mate and AOSC the only linux disros available to flash to the eMMC on the Pinebook?

I recently bought a 64Gb eMMC and could not flash Xenial Mate to it. I just got a "No eMMC detected" message. I opened a ticket on the support forum and they advised me to try and install Android 6. This worked but I want a linux on my Pinebook.

Can anyone help

Try Q4OS, it boots up from SD and dd image over to eMMC.
(03-06-2019, 04:26 PM)tllim Wrote:
(03-06-2019, 03:39 PM)frank-zappa Wrote: Are Xenial Mate and AOSC the only linux disros available to flash to the eMMC on the Pinebook?

Can anyone help

Try Q4OS, it boots up from SD and dd image over to eMMC.

How easy is that to do?
I would back up anything on the eMMC I would want to save, then look here:

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/NOOB#Fl..._a_SD_Boot

I don't have a Pinebook yet, but I'm thinking you also could put the image on a USB drive, boot from the microSD, then enter something like "sudo dd if=/path/to/distro.img of=/dev/mmcblk2" on the command line.  Don't just copy and paste that.  I'm used to BSD and MacPorts, so I would search this forum to find the correct the Linux command for a Pinebook.
(03-23-2019, 12:39 PM)zaius Wrote: [...] but I'm thinking you also could put the image on a USB drive, boot from the microSD, then enter something like "sudo dd if=/path/to/distro.img of=/dev/mmcblk2" on the command line.  […]
This is generally how I do it since they're all full OS images.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
Thanks for your recent posts soupbowl and zaius.

I posted this thread because I had issues getting Xenial Mate to install on a new eMMC.

I have started a new thread that better explains my situation.
I would be grateful if you'd take a look at it as you both sound like you know your stuff.
https://forum.pine64.org/showthread.php?tid=7278

Thanks again. I will be "rating" you both positively. As I do with anyone whop responds in a helpful manner.
I had no issue installing Armbian Stretch to my Pinebook 14's eMMC chip. Just use the armbian-config utility-- when you have the utility open in a terminal, the install to eMMC option is under Armbian, then Install.

Also, unless you use Armbian Bionic, I believe you have to install your own desktop window manager. Since I'm using Armbian Stretch, I installed Xfce and set it to startup on boot, again with armbian-config.
(04-01-2019, 10:37 AM)FrancisTheodoreCat Wrote: I had no issue installing Armbian Stretch to my Pinebook 14's eMMC chip. Just use the armbian-config utility-- when you have the utility open in a terminal, the install to eMMC option is under Armbian, then Install.

Also, unless you use Armbian Bionic, I believe you have to install your own desktop window manager. Since I'm using Armbian Stretch, I installed Xfce and set it to startup on boot, again with armbian-config.

So, just to clarify.
I boot Armbian Bionic from the MicroSD? Would I find the "armbian-config utility" in the menus?
I'm not a total noob but i am not exactly a tech savvy linux user either? This is still a bit of a learning curve for me?
(04-21-2019, 04:45 PM)frank-zappa Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 10:37 AM)FrancisTheodoreCat Wrote: I had no issue installing Armbian Stretch to my Pinebook 14's eMMC chip. Just use the armbian-config utility-- when you have the utility open in a terminal, the install to eMMC option is under Armbian, then Install.

So, just to clarify.
I boot Armbian Bionic from the MicroSD? Would I find the "armbian-config utility" in the menus?
I'm not a total noob but i am not exactly a tech savvy linux user either? This is still a bit of a learning curve for me?

INSTALL ARMBIAN to eMMC

1) Download Armbian bootable disk image; https://www.armbian.com/pinebook-a64/#co...et-5-0-0-0

2) Use Balena Etcher to write the image onto a micro-SD card

3) Insert SD card into slot of Pinebook (may have to push it in with a small blunt tool.)

4) Boot to Armbian and go to [Applications] -> [Settings] -> [Armbian-Config]. A terminal window will open.

5) Then in that terminal window; [System] -> [Install] -> [Boot from eMMC]. Warning - this will erase everything previously on the eMMC.

The rest should be automatic.
(08-03-2019, 01:48 PM)armhfadillo Wrote:
(04-21-2019, 04:45 PM)frank-zappa Wrote:

So, just to clarify.

INSTALL ARMBIAN to eMMC

1) Download Armbian bootable disk image;   https://www.armbian.com/pinebook-a64/#co...et-5-0-0-0

2) Use Balena Etcher to write the image onto a micro-SD card

3) Insert SD card into slot of Pinebook (may have to push it in with a small blunt tool.)

4) Boot to Armbian and go to [Applications] -> [Settings] -> [Armbian-Config].  A terminal window will open.

5)  Then in that terminal window;  [System] -> [Install] -> [Boot from eMMC].   Warning - this will erase everything previously on the eMMC.

The rest should be automatic.

Many thanks. 
I am currently on vacation but will give that a try when I return. 

Are there still issues with Armbian regarding sound?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,209 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Booting with TOC0 u-boot -- should it work? dreadbit 0 716 11-24-2022, 10:19 AM
Last Post: dreadbit
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,593 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 957 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  How to transfer customised OS from SDcard to emmc quixote 1 3,040 01-07-2022, 06:38 AM
Last Post: alanwake82
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,499 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,686 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy