Pinebook Issues
Hi all

N00b over here. When my Pinebook boots (neon OS) it flashes the login page, then i get a blank black screen. 

Not sure how to cure this and haven't found anything in here yet, please point me in the right direction if I am being st00pid!

Thanks
Hello !

I have the same issue with my Pinebook (neon). During startup the login screen is displayed just one second then it goes black and I can't proceed with logging in. This problem started after doing "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" from Terminal window.

Any ideas or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Regards, Kuriosa
First, I would check if it's a hardware problem or a software problem.  Looking at the dates, maybe there there is a problem with the latest neon build?

Get an SD card, test that card with something such as F3, then follow the instructions on how to flash an OS onto an SD card:

http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/NOOB

If neon doesn't work from the SD card, try a different OS.  If that doesn't work then it could be hardware problem.

If neon does work from the SD card, then there is either a problem with the internal drive, or the copy of neon installed on it.  Back up anything you want to save on the drive.  I don't run Linux, but I'm sure there are command line utilities to check the internal drive.  If it seems OK, then try a fresh install of neon.
I also just read that people had similar problems with inadequate power supplies.
So i have tried this both with and without power supply connected and dont think this is relevant in this case

I have also tried a number of different distros from the pine etcher installer but i dont seem to be able to get them to boot from SD, don't know if this is me doing something wrong but from what i understand i should just shove the SD in and it should boot right to it from power on?
Correct.

Use a good sdcard (samsungs have never failed me in my PB, patriot brand = fail).
Not a fan of etcher but it should work.
IMO the Manjaro OS options are the best available atm.
(05-17-2019, 01:48 PM)notpod Wrote: Correct.

Use a good sdcard (samsungs have never failed me in my PB, patriot brand = fail).
Not a fan of etcher but it should work.
IMO the Manjaro OS options are the best available atm.

I am afraid I have exactly this symptoms with Manjaro right now, although it seems I might be the only one.
These problems also started a while ago after an update. before that it was to rock solid.
Mind you, very occasionally it works and then the system runs stable until the next reboot when the short flicker and then black screen.
To identify the issue it might also be worth noting that the Manjaro system seems to boot correctly, just the display does not come up. If I wait a bit after the boot and then with the black screen use the keyboard to change to console, log in and the key is ‘poweroff’ the system actually turns off. Makes me think that the boot was successful except for the display.

Maybe you could try that with KDE Neon to narrow things down?
After you waited a moment to give the boot process time to complete the key combination is:
1. Ctrl + Alt + F1
(to get to a console, you are now on a text login screen)
2. username + Enter
3. password + enter

you have now entered a terminal screen and can key in commands as usual, but as you still can’t see the one that I use to check it works is ‘poweroff’
4. poweroff + Enter

The Pinebook should now turn off after a few seconds (the green power light turns off).

Unfortunately not a solution to the problem but maybe it helps to identify one..
Btw, the above procedure should work on many linux systems and if another linux on SD card works you can try it with working display there first.. (sometimes it needs ‘sudo poweroff’ plus password)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,207 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 919 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,253 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,580 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 956 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,595 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,494 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,679 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,604 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,974 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg