USB powered externall hard drive not powering
Hi, I just got rock pro 64 and wanted to attach external hard drive powered via USB (no additional power cables), but it doesn't power up. The drive works fine if it's attached to a laptop, so the problem is with rock pro 64. Does anyone know if it supposed to power it up - in other words, should it deliver enough power to power up external USB drive (2.5 inch SSD) like a laptop does?

Rock pro 64 does have on board sata power connector that is used to power sata drive connected through the PCIe x4, so I believe it should be capable of powering a USB SATA drive - but this is just a speculation.
Do you boot from this external hdd? Normally i don't have problems with externally hdd's. Ayufans image don't boot correct from usb3, armbian boot fine from usb3.
Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language

1. Quartz64 Model B, 4GB RAM

2. Quartz64 Model A, 4GB RAM

3. RockPro64 v2.1

https://linux-nerds.org/
(02-02-2019, 08:26 AM)Shilelis Wrote: Hi, I just got rock pro 64 and wanted to attach external hard drive powered via USB (no additional power cables), but it doesn't power up. The drive works fine if it's attached to a laptop, so the problem is with rock pro 64. Does anyone know if it supposed to power it up - in other words, should it deliver enough power to power up external USB drive (2.5 inch SSD) like a laptop does?

Rock pro 64 does have on board sata power connector that is used to power sata drive connected through the PCIe x4, so I believe it should be capable of powering a USB SATA drive - but this is just a speculation.

Both USB 2.0 host port provide up to 650mA and USB 3.0 host port provide up to 900mA. Once over this current limit, the regulator will cut off the USB power to protect the board stability. If your USB SATA drive withdraw current more than the above limit, please provide power to your USB SATA drive.
(02-03-2019, 01:42 AM)Bullet64 Wrote: Do you boot from this external hdd? Normally i don't have problems with externally hdd's. Ayufans image don't boot correct from usb3, armbian boot fine from usb3.

is this a documented, known issue?

been trying to boot from usb3 but only seems to work from sd or with an older ubuntu image for rock64 after moving the drive rock64->rockpro64.
Quote:been trying to boot from usb3

You'd need uboot somewhere on a higher boot-priority storage (preferably SPI - which is there for this reason in part), to boot from SPI. Can already be done on Rock64.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-15-2019, 04:20 AM)Luke Wrote:
Quote:been trying to boot from usb3

You'd need uboot somewhere on a higher boot-priority storage (preferably SPI - which is there for this reason in part), to boot from SPI. Can already be done on Rock64.

yes, flashed u-boot. sd card works, dont have emmc, no rp64 image has booted, rock64 ubuntu 16.04 container version  works from usb2/3. any ideas?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Powering on the Rockpro64 JPT223 1 826 09-24-2023, 12:23 PM
Last Post: hoarfrosty
  Can RockPro64 be powered via usb-c? pawlinski 2 3,638 10-16-2020, 07:27 AM
Last Post: pawlinski
  Has anyone used an Intel Solid-State Drive 660p Series with the RockPro64? erols 1 2,969 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM
Last Post: Atch
  Battery Powered Firesped 17 20,051 08-02-2019, 07:56 AM
Last Post: ender_saved
  ROCKPro64 PCI-e to Dual SATA-II Interface Card and drive power frewind 2 4,103 07-28-2018, 07:47 AM
Last Post: frewind