Pinebook Pro?
(02-16-2019, 11:14 AM)Kochise Wrote: Using a Dell Vostro 3555 (AMD A8-3500M) which I changed the keyboard for a backlit. This is essential, especially in low light. And it's fu^habulously cheap (less than $20) : https://www.ebay.com/p/Original-Dell-Vos...2255387990

Just find a compatible backlit keyboard that would fit the 14" form factor of the Pinebook Pro and use it instead. It's not such a big deal if you can find it in large quantity through a supplier. What annoys me is the lack of numeric pad tough.

Kochise

I think, keyboards with true number pad (not Fn-based emulation) start at 15" form factor. On 14" there's not enough physical space to fit a true numpad (well, without going for some awkward compromises, like reducing keys width, rearranging layout from standard, etc., which would kill overall keyboard usability).
(02-16-2019, 04:17 AM)UltraBloxX Wrote: I've been wondering, how good will battery life be? Currently, I have Pinebook 11" and I really like the ultra-portable form-factor, plus it has a very good battery life time. But, say, if I upgrade it to Pro board, how much power consumption will rise? I assume that CPU could be throttled down, when longer battery life is desired and it shouldn't consume much more, than A64 on full speed?

Not really an answer, but the barrel to USB cable can be used with a regular mobile phone battery pack. I've taken the habit of using a battery pack at 30% charge if I need my laptop for more than 4 hours. Although with the Pinebook this seems to charge at 1% every 15 minutes when in use, so if power consumption increases this may be no longer viable... But the USB-C charge might do.

(Tested with Anker Powercore 10K mAh and Xiaomi 10K mAh).
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
(02-16-2019, 12:08 PM)UltraBloxX Wrote: I think, keyboards with true number pad (not Fn-based emulation) start at 15" form factor. On 14" there's not enough physical space to fit a true numpad (well, without going for some awkward compromises, like reducing keys width, rearranging layout from standard, etc., which would kill overall keyboard usability).

Right, this one is for 15.6" : https://www.amazon.co.uk/JANRI-Replaceme...07KP21HM4/

For 13", you get that : https://www.amazon.co.uk/JANRI-Replaceme...07K2VW9WD/

I'm pretty much sure a compromise can be found in between.
(02-13-2019, 04:05 PM)soupbowl Wrote: Just need a UK reseller to avoid large import costs now lol.

THIS is something I'd like.

I originally talked myself out of a Pinebook, and one of the considerations was how the postage costs and import duties would effect the purchase price.

For the Pinebook Pro, I think I'll just have to get over it!
(02-08-2019, 05:00 AM)Luke Wrote:
(02-07-2019, 07:28 PM)Jerrbear Wrote: Would there be any problems with using the PB Pro for Kali Linux? I would primarily be buying it to use to teach myself pentesting but I'm worried it wouldnt have even horsepower.

Plenty of horsepower. As for Kali - if you want official support, I think we could probably approach Kali devs and see if they are interested.

Does anyone have any successful instructions to install Kali Linux onto the Pinebook Pro?
I am interested in this as well as a fun mess around machine. If you want 8-16gb ram, backlit kb, normal boot loader, os support,... all at $200 just get a used latitude or thinkpad. I think this is a really cool idea and can skimp on raw features in favor of tinker-ability and cool factor. Please please please use a nice colorful display though, so many of my business laptops have super dull drab screens despite being ips and high res.

I am curious to know if the pinebook pro will have hardware accelerated graphics support. I have an original kickstarter pine64 and honestly regret it over the rasp pi due to lack of linux hardware accelerated graphics, forcing me to use android if i want youtube playback.

I would love to hear back and apologize if this was already answered and I missed it. Also would love more real-world battery life figures and planned os support (another thing the original pine64 lacked espc at release). Luckily i still found a use for my pine64, as a wifi hotspot for iot devices in my dorm, since iot devices cant exactly navigate a captive portal login page haha.
"used latitude or thinkpad" don't have ARM cpu.

"Please please please use a nice colorful display though" and matte screen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNoPzkhjMZk&t=2m43s

Kochise
I think that most if not all of you will be impressed by the LCD panel.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(02-19-2019, 02:51 PM)ironlion12 Wrote: Does anyone have any successful instructions to install Kali Linux onto the Pinebook Pro?

yes, pop in your time machine and go forward a year when the unit has been on sale for a while and kali has been ported, then come back to the now and tell us how it went.  Angel
(02-23-2019, 05:02 AM)speculatrix Wrote:
(02-19-2019, 02:51 PM)ironlion12 Wrote: Does anyone have any successful instructions to install Kali Linux onto the Pinebook Pro?

yes, pop in your time machine and go forward a year when the unit has been on sale for a while and kali has been ported, then come back to the now and tell us how it went.  Angel

I had kali sort of working on the rockpro64, I installed ayufan's minimal debian image, added kali's repo to apt, and installed the main meta package

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 1,907 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 302 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 238 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 227 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 167 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 554 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 619 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,224 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 1,999 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt
  Happy eMMC and SDcard OS usage for Pinebook Pro Newbies... Paulie420 42 59,132 11-20-2023, 06:22 PM
Last Post: wdt