Pinebook Pro?
(03-06-2019, 02:00 PM)jaylittle Wrote: (...) I've personally been making a real effort dump Intel based systems in favor of ARM (...) and laptops are the last remnant of the Intel/x86 brigade for me.

Amen.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Also in the crowd of people who registered after they heard about the Pinebook Pro. I'm really excited at the prospect of having great battery life on a portable ARM Linux machine; any idea of what kind of idle Watt draw we can expect? I think the spec is pretty perfect as it is, and while I don't care about a backlit keyboard, I hope this time they use a layout which is little bit more standard. I'm thrilled about the price-point too! Really excited to see what the future might bring from this company!
Thumbs Up 
I can't wait to see the Pinebook Pro available for order. The decent hardware specs, open source nature, and reasonable price make this product very exciting to me. I don't necessarily need a new laptop, but I WANT a Pinebook Pro.
New forum registree, first comment!

I just learned about Pune64 and I’m absolutely impressed by your product line. I’m very excited for the upcoming Pinebook Pro! My current laptop is aging and broken in lots of ways (still “useable” but not comfortably). I just cannot wait for the realsase of this laptop! Reasonably powered, well built, beautiful  and running FREE SOFTWARE, for a very good price. Count me in! I’ve been checking these forums almost daily for the last week to follow the discussion. I’ll be ordering mine as soon as they are available  Big Grin
I too am super excited for the new pinebook and have been checking for updates daily! Anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to make a program run on arm if it is open source? Thx
(03-07-2019, 08:03 PM)RMJ250 Wrote: I too am super excited for the new pinebook and have been checking for updates  daily! Anyone know how easy/difficult it would be to make a program run on arm if it is open source? Thx

I found instructions to compile the program I was thinking of for a Raspberry Pi so I guess it would work for Pinebook? Not too many dependencies.

Here:
https://github.com/GoldenCheetah/GoldenC...aspberryPi

J
Mac is switching to ARM, so can we expect MacOS running on Pinebook Pro? Smile
(03-08-2019, 05:50 AM)Wizzard Wrote: Mac is switching to ARM, so can we expect MacOS running on Pinebook Pro? Smile

In all seriousness I've found as time goes on their macOS launches support more and more drivers as it goes on, making Hackintosh super easy*. Unless they start from square one again and start building up drivers upon their own launches, it could be a possibility.

Albeit, damn can you imagine the performance?

Personally looking forward to running Windows 10 on a Pinebook, once Windows 10 start properly releasing ARM versions.

* Compared to previous years. It can still be painful to setup, but not as bad as Leopard days.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
Glad to see all the excitement regarding the Pinebook Pro!
First devs got their units or are getting their units within a few days time. As soon as one of them gets an OS going on the PB Pro, I'll kindly ask for a video to showcasing the performance.

Answering your questions:

NickHu, we expect that the battery will last some ~7 hours of continues use under low load with LCD brightness somewhere in the comfortable 50-70% range. We'll know more when there is a Linux OS running on the device.

RMJ250, depends on the program. There are a lot of programs that support the the ARM (64 and 32bit) architecture(s), but there are some that do not. That golden cheetah software you linked will almost certainly work.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-08-2019, 06:13 AM)soupbowl Wrote: Albeit, damn can you imagine the performance?

Do you think that PB Pro would be slow for MacOS? I think it could compete with older Macbook Air Smile

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pinebook Pro Initial Impressions kunger 443 585,178 04-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: KC9UDX
  looking to buy one pinebook pro (mainland China) duanduan 3 2,243 03-21-2024, 07:44 PM
Last Post: wangyukunshan
  Cellular module for Pinebook Pro Lotech 1 378 03-05-2024, 05:40 AM
  Screen on pinebook stays black but can ssh into machine tuxxpine 0 283 02-23-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: tuxxpine
  Sale my ANSI PineBook Pro cuthbertdavies 0 276 02-14-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: cuthbertdavies
  Compiling with -j6 on the Pinebook Pro (Overheat) KC9UDX 0 208 02-14-2024, 09:01 AM
  Pinebook Pro in EU for Sale - €90 jan_vdk 2 641 02-07-2024, 02:12 AM
Last Post: 23Ro
  Pinebook Pro for sale tomekdev 2 712 02-01-2024, 11:35 AM
Last Post: tomekdev
  Video Editing Is Possible On The PineBook Pro! ImmyChan 10 7,487 12-17-2023, 09:29 PM
Last Post: insideau786
  Brand new Pinebook Pro doesn't boot after Manjaro update johnboiles 8 2,175 12-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Last Post: wdt