Best OS for general use?
Hey everybody, I just decided to start looking into my Pine board, and I am looking to use it as a general messenger, web surfer box. Nothing fancy, Gmail, youtube, etc. The Pi 2 is painfully slow using raspbian, so I was hoping this would be faster. I'm ok with using Android if need be.

Output is 1080p but possibly eventually 4k (monitor).

Wired network connection.

Any suggestions on which OS is currently the most stable/fastest for those uses?
(04-21-2016, 08:22 AM)shepscrook Wrote: Hey everybody, I just decided to start looking into my Pine board, and I am looking to use it as a general messenger, web surfer box. Nothing fancy, Gmail, youtube, etc. The Pi 2 is painfully slow using raspbian, so I was hoping this would be faster. I'm ok with using Android if need be.

Output is 1080p but possibly eventually 4k (monitor).

Wired network connection.

Any suggestions on which OS is currently the most stable/fastest for those uses?
For me the Xenial build based on longsleep kernel of April 3rd works fine. Added xfce and mate desktop, both with acceptable performance. Main problem at the moment is a 'good' browser, firefox is crashing and chromium not available yet. Midori works fine, but you have to decide yourself...

Running websites with heavy load (including videos and much advertising) my pine gets hot (about 80°, according to longsleep thats fine), but still usable...

Did try Remix also, but had no success, others reported Android to work fine also, depending from your config.

So try yourself, have fun....

Gesendet von meinem K00L mit Tapatalk
Still a linux newbie with several EEE-PCs, PI's, LattePanda and some Desktops/Laptops running Win10. Now also proudly using Pine64+ 2GB and gigabit LAN
At the moment, it seems like no OS works for me. I've tried numerous steps for loading an OS to the card, but when I plug in the power to the PineA64, nothing is displayed. I've tried multiple different power supplies rated 2-2.4 as well.

(EDIT) Back on track again. The problem was that I had an HDMI To DVI cable. So the board didn't like that. I'm proceeding with things at this time.
(04-22-2016, 07:07 AM)shepscrook Wrote: At the moment, it seems like no OS works for me. I've tried numerous steps for loading an OS to the card, but when I plug in the power to the PineA64, nothing is displayed. I've tried multiple different power supplies rated 2-2.4 as well.

(EDIT) Back on track again. The problem was that I had an HDMI To DVI cable. So the board didn't like that. I'm proceeding with things at this time.

For 512MB board, the Debian Mate (Lenny) and ArchLinux (longsleep) are good choice due to light weight and use less memory.
For 1GB board, the Ubuntu-XFCE (longsleep) and Android are good choice.
For 2GB, the Ubuntu-XFCE, Android, and Remix are good choice
I gave up with Debian, because I couldn't find the Terminal app. Ubuntu is slightly better, but still seems to be lacking. I couldn't play any flash content when using the Midori browser. Really please with the PINE64 hardware, it seems to work very well.
David Hardingham

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello and some general advice. vinylash 2 3,721 02-18-2019, 03:56 AM
Last Post: vinylash
  Some general guidance needed pharris430 1 2,642 01-28-2017, 06:28 AM
Last Post: xalius