FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
There was mention of an optional adapter to let you put a nvme m.2 ssd in the Pinebook Pro. Do pictures of that exist?
(04-10-2019, 09:18 AM)nyxxenator Wrote: There was mention of an optional adapter to let you put a nvme m.2 ssd in the Pinebook Pro. Do pictures of that exist?

Nope. But perhaps when I get my unit late this month, which will be more akin to the end-user version than current dev Pinebook Pro's, then I'll grab a picture of how it will fit together and post it for you guys.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

That would be awesome, thanks! Smile
Information 
Hi Luke and all the rest

I'm interested in a Pinebook Pro because it has no Intel Management Engine and a low price. I want to use it for travel. My ideal travel notebook is cheap so that loss or theft will not rip a hole in my pocket.

I'm quite excited about the Pinebook Pro and hope I can order one very soon.

A few questions:

[*]I never had a computer or laptop running from flash. I know that flashes wear down on writes. Are the available OSes tuned towards running from flash or are they stock unmodified Linux distributions?

[*]X-Window needs a three button mouse. How will the track-pad work here?

[*]On the "feature list", I don't see a charger. I have an usb-c charger from my MacBook Pro and hope I can (re-)use it. Will the precise specs matter?

A few remarks:

[*]I can't imagine most of us prefer these 1/2 sized cursor keys over full sized cursor keys. Perhaps something to consider for the next iteration of the Pinebook.

[*]Great to see the CTL key is bottom left. Please keep it there.
There are a number of optimized OS's planned.  I do not know about the stock eMMC wearing "down on writes".  However, last I heard it will have a slot for SSD.

There are a number of different desktops.  It has USB so you can plug a mouse into it.  Although X doesn't necessarily need a three-button mouse, and there are accessibility toolkits for it.

From what I've read, it should have a barrel port and charger.  If you use USB-C it will need to provide enough current.
(04-15-2019, 06:53 PM)Der Geist der Maschine Wrote: [*]X-Window needs a three button mouse. How will the track-pad work here?
[*]

Just curious but what do you mean here. I use X all the time but I'm mainly a terminal guy..well terminal emulator with dmenu. Are you referring to the middle button pasting?

from the Forbes article

it will have Bluetooth, so a Bluetooth mouse is always an option Wink
I'm really looking forward to the PineBook Pro (and also why not the PineTab) ! Finally a professional open source Laptop.
I also really hope it can smoothly run BSD operating systems. If so, you can count on me for pre-order Smile
Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.
How about that? I guess that the time is good for people in the EU and US is good and its the weekend, but I am open to other suggestions.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(04-16-2019, 03:26 PM)Luke Wrote: Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.
How about that? I guess that the time is good for people in the EU and US is good and its the weekend, but I am open to other suggestions.

Sounds good to me!

Curious though, what do you mean a different keyboard?

anyway...

Hopefully, I'll have a new job by then Smile . Looking forward to it!
(04-16-2019, 03:26 PM)Luke Wrote: Hi all, I'll be getting a conceptual Pinebook Pro prototype (with a different keyboard), a mock-up of the Pinephone and more stuff end of this month. So, granted that customs don't decide to hang onto the stuff for an eternity, I figured we could try to do a livestream of all the things on the 28th at 22:00 GMT on Sunday the 28th. This would also give you an opportunity to ask questions live.

Any chance that the new keyboard will have a meta key? A lot of DEs use it for searching apps.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,454 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,762 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,373 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,429 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,342 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,755 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,557 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,634 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,644 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim