FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
(03-22-2019, 08:49 AM)Mr.Radar Wrote:
(03-21-2019, 06:55 PM)jack1 Wrote: AGAIN!
This speaking of evilness and mainlineness is funny because the quectel module uses ANDROID internally ! ! !

Can you please provide evidence of that? Searching for "quectel android" shows they have one module that advertises it runs Android (the SC-20), and that module is not the one this project will be using (the EC-25/EG-25).

AGAIN!
Someone who doesn't know the facts or how to use google wants to use CAPS and many exclamation marks !!! Wink  

The EC-25 uses Linux
Quote:The Quectel EC25 is a LTE Modem Module manufactured by the Chinese Company Quectel. It is available as solder-type version but also as miniPCIe card.

It is based around the Qualcomm MSM 9x70 and runs an OE based Linux distribution on its internal Cortex-A5 core (...)
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

I wanted to know if Pinebook Pro could run Trisquel so I went to ask this question on Trisquel's forum.
Here is my question and the answer : https://trisquel.info/en/forum/trisquel-...quel-touch

I got a bit disappointed when I read that because of the choice for Mali GPU and also the RTL8723BS for wifi, it would not be possible to finally get an affordable 100% free modern daily working station.
It is sad that there is always a little compromise that ruin the hope to get a modern 100% free hardware to replace the aging ThinkPad X200...
The PinePhone seems to use the same system-on-a-chip and so has the same problems so it isn't possible to dream of a Trisquel Touch, derived from Ubuntu Touch as Trisquel is derived from Ubuntu? Thus, we can't finally have neither a 100% free tablet (PineTab) neither a 100% free pocket computer (PinePhone)...
Thatoo, whats wrong with Mali (and its not really a choice - its on the SOCs)? there is both panfrost and lima in the works ...
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thatoo, i've been using ubuntu for 12 years and have not paid a dime. if that's not free i don't know what is. and i'm kinda guessing it can work circles around
Trisquel. another thing, version 8 was released about a year ago, shortly after they got 100,000usd from handshake. version 8 was about 2 years late. 9 was supposed to be out 6 months after ubuntu 18 which was oct 2018 so that means next month. if you check their repositories they have done very little in the past 6 months. my suggestion, find a different o/s.
(03-17-2019, 03:07 AM)Beagle Wrote: I'm also tempted by the PineTab which I understand is configured akin to the 11.6” Pinebook. Noting the original Pinebook wasn't meant to be a daily driver, what do people think they'll use the PineTab for?

I'm interested in a pure Linux tablet for word processing, media consumption and tinkering on the go. Will this be achievable on the PineTab?

I'm really excited by the PineTab, I'll definitely be a first day purchase for me.  The prospect of a true Linux tablet is just too good to pass up.  For example, rather than having to deal with what someone's idea of what an SSH "app" should be, I can just use the real thing!  While it won't be a "laptop grade" it should be up to most tasks (just don't try to juggle a dozen Chrome tabs).  If it will be able to do a decent job of running VLC, that will be a plus.  If the PinePhone happens (I'm skeptical it will, but I hope I'm wrong), the similar hardware between the two could be really interesting.

16GB feels a bit small for the eMMC, but its probably fine.  I'm just spoiled for storage.
(03-23-2019, 12:05 AM)wood Wrote: 16GB feels a bit small for the eMMC, but its probably fine.  I'm just spoiled for storage.

Given that most other phones and tablets ship with 32gb, and 64 is becoming more common, the storage allotment is the one thing that causes me to hesitate. And, yes, the Tab was the attention-getter for me. A Linux phone? I'll wait to see what pure.ism ships. Underpowered laptop? I have too many of those already. Linux tablet, with keyboard, even if only WiFi capable, for less than a Lenovo Yoga? Now I'm interested.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
(03-23-2019, 12:05 AM)wood Wrote:
(03-17-2019, 03:07 AM)Beagle Wrote: I'm also tempted by the PineTab which I understand is configured akin to the 11.6” Pinebook. Noting the original Pinebook wasn't meant to be a daily driver, what do people think they'll use the PineTab for?

I'm interested in a pure Linux tablet for word processing, media consumption and tinkering on the go. Will this be achievable on the PineTab?

I'm really excited by the PineTab, I'll definitely be a first day purchase for me.  The prospect of a true Linux tablet is just too good to pass up.  For example, rather than having to deal with what someone's idea of what an SSH "app" should be, I can just use the real thing!  While it won't be a "laptop grade" it should be up to most tasks (just don't try to juggle a dozen Chrome tabs).  If it will be able to do a decent job of running VLC, that will be a plus.  If the PinePhone happens (I'm skeptical it will, but I hope I'm wrong), the similar hardware between the two could be really interesting.

16GB feels a bit small for the eMMC, but its probably fine.  I'm just spoiled for storage.

(03-23-2019, 03:19 AM)Paraplegic Racehorse Wrote:
(03-23-2019, 12:05 AM)wood Wrote: 16GB feels a bit small for the eMMC, but its probably fine.  I'm just spoiled for storage.

Given that most other phones and tablets ship with 32gb, and 64 is becoming more common, the storage allotment is the one thing that causes me to hesitate. And, yes, the Tab was the attention-getter for me. A Linux phone? I'll wait to see what pure.ism ships. Underpowered laptop? I have too many of those already. Linux tablet, with keyboard, even if only WiFi capable, for less than a Lenovo Yoga? Now I'm interested.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

Thanks Wood and Paraplegic Racehorse, good to hear others are interested in the PineTab. The 16GB seemed a little light on for me too, hopefully Pine will reconsider this.
[quote pid='45177' dateline='1553348233']

Thanks Wood and Paraplegic Racehorse, good to hear others are interested in the PineTab. The 16GB seemed a little light on for me too, hopefully Pine will reconsider this.
[/quote]

Looking at the pine store, they sell their 64GB module for the existing platforms for about $20 more than the 26GB one.  I'd definitely pay that difference if it were an option.

I've only seen the one picture of the pinetab's board from the FSODEM update post and it looks like they may have been considering other options.  The eMMC modules in the store look like BGA packages, and I can only see 3 BGA packages on the board.  The two in the middle are the A64 and I'm assuming RAM module.  The third is on the right side in a confusing region of overlapping silkscreen lines.  One set of borders looks like the outline of the modules in the store, but there is a much larger rectangle that encompasses and area about twice the size.  There may also be a connector of some kind leading to the chip?   Socketed storage would be really nice, but I don't see any method of securing the module which wold be needed for any socketed connection in a device built for a lot of handling. 

Of course that chip could be something completely different and the storage is on the other side of the board (and since that end is butting up against the display, it would definitely be a soldered in package to minimize the height). 

Another side note:  If I understand the description right, the keyboard module communicates over USB port.  If that is the case, I hope they consider selling the mating ends as parts, I can think of several uses for a ready-made usb/pogo connector set!
(03-22-2019, 05:18 PM)Luke Wrote: Thatoo, whats wrong with Mali (and its not really a choice - its on the SOCs)? there is both panfrost and lima in the works ...

I have shared your answer with Trisquel's guys on forum.

(03-22-2019, 05:18 PM)dkryder Wrote: Thatoo, i've been using ubuntu for 12 years and have not paid a dime. if that's not free i don't know what is. and i'm kinda guessing it can work circles around

Trisquel. another thing, version 8 was released about a year ago, shortly after they got 100,000usd from handshake. version 8 was about 2 years late. 9 was supposed to be out 6 months after ubuntu 18 which was oct 2018 so that means next month. if you check their repositories they have done very little in the past 6 months. my suggestion, find a different o/s.

My dear, free as freedom isn't the same as free as free beer. Facebook, google and whatsapp also are "gratis" but aren't libre at all. It's sad that English doesn't make the distinction between freedom (Libre) and money ($, €)...
(03-22-2019, 11:43 AM)Luke Wrote:
(03-22-2019, 08:49 AM)Mr.Radar Wrote: Can you please provide evidence of that?...

...The EC-25 uses Linux...

I took a look and despite the advertised "QuecOpen"(under development) and the osmocom guys info, I  still think that it uses Android.
In the link you provided I read...
ADB
android debug bridge
the lsusb output: iManufacturer Android | iProduct Android
In the board flyer they say they uses linux kernel 3.18 that sounds like android.
And little kernel to boot.

And if it uses android kernel what there is left of linux ?

I couldnt find a firmware so I downloaded the firmware of the D-Link DWM-222 stick that uses the same qualcom modem, and I even more think that uses android...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,458 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,776 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,374 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,431 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,343 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,758 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,586 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,637 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,648 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim