FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
I sat down to chat about the Pinebook Pro and the PinePhone with the Linux Lads https://linuxlads.com/episodes/season-2-episode-4
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

(03-04-2019, 08:54 AM)Luke Wrote: Bottom line is that phones are not easy. The more complex a phone the more things you need to accommodate and plan for. For a first, security oriented, Linux (and *BSD!) phone from PINE64 its quite important to keep it a relatively simple device, which delivers in the few key aspects you'd want/ expect it to.

I don't really see any evidence that security is a primary design goal for the pinephone. There is the potential for a secure device, and that is great, but the kind of rigid lock-down required for provable security would severely limit the ability of end users to adapt the phone to their needs.  I think adaptability is just as important.  

If security were a primary design goal, the privacy switches would not be located "under the back cover".  I'm not criticizing that choice, by the way.  I would be satisfied to be able to simply disable the services that use the cellular/wifi/bluetooth, even if choose to do it at the kernel level (modprobe -r).
(03-05-2019, 10:47 AM)wood Wrote:
(03-04-2019, 08:54 AM)Luke Wrote: Bottom line is that phones are not easy. The more complex a phone the more things you need to accommodate and plan for. For a first, security oriented, Linux (and *BSD!) phone from PINE64 its quite important to keep it a relatively simple device, which delivers in the few key aspects you'd want/ expect it to.

I don't really see any evidence that security is a primary design goal for the pinephone. There is the potential for a secure device, and that is great, but the kind of rigid lock-down required for provable security would severely limit the ability of end users to adapt the phone to their needs.  I think adaptability is just as important.  

If security were a primary design goal, the privacy switches would not be located "under the back cover".  I'm not criticizing that choice, by the way.  I would be satisfied to be able to simply disable the services that use the cellular/wifi/bluetooth, even if choose to do it at the kernel level (modprobe -r).

What I meant by "first" was - PINE64's first phone...

(02-05-2019, 10:34 PM)tllim Wrote: Now teh FOSDEM is over and having some time to check out Pinebook Pro thermal profiling and also battery run times. I predict will have 5-6 hours on a single charge and will post my finding on next week.
Are the results in? Smile

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk
(03-04-2019, 03:37 PM)Luke Wrote: I sat down to chat about the Pinebook Pro and the PinePhone with the Linux Lads https://linuxlads.com/episodes/season-2-episode-4

Fantastic! I need to sit down and listen to this fully. They've gained a subscriber through you.

And yes, we all do enjoy our chats with you here! Never had so much feedback on processes from any other company.
[ PHP Developer | Pinebook 1G | About me ]
Thank you so much Pine64. I love already my future pinephone, pinetab (and pinebook pro when later one I'll need to replace my laptop).
I usually stay quiet, and I never came here before even though I follow your work since the beginning when I was beta tester for cozy.io (I was looking for hardware for an idea of cozybox...)
Anyway I decided to come here, say hello and share my very good feelings about these three projects.
About the Pinephone, I guess you have a good strategy : a middle ability/price so called "smartphone" to start, that anyone can use for what it is, a pocketcomputer. I don't need iphoneX/galaxy15 or whatever, I have a laptop for work and people can get desktop to make 3d animation and a Nikon/Canon to make good pictures.
Pocketcomputers can't do what laptops do and what desktops do!
However, too cheap and unpowerful one as mozilla bet on (Firefox OS) can't work neither because it has to be useful.
So, one more time, I want to thank you guys at Pine64 for your work and I'm sure you have something here.
Can't wait to get the result of your work in my hand!

I have been reading some more and I was wondering if the Pinetab will also have some Hardware Switches (Mic/Cam/Wifi) like the Pinephone?
(02-05-2019, 10:34 PM)tllim Wrote: Now teh FOSDEM is over and having some time to check out Pinebook Pro thermal profiling and also battery run times. I predict will have 5-6 hours on a single charge and will post my finding on next week.

Are we there yet? : )
(03-12-2019, 03:23 AM)blu Wrote:

Are we there yet? : )

Thermals are good I hear. As for battery using Linux - it will be a little longer be before we find out.

Can you say when you'll be taking orders or pre-orders?
(03-12-2019, 12:02 PM)speculatrix Wrote: Can you say when you'll be taking orders or pre-orders?

When we know you'll know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,456 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,765 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,373 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,430 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,342 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,755 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,566 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,634 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,644 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim