FOSDEM 19 Announcements Discussion
This is the likely look of the PinePhone when it comes out (some changes likely).

On top headphone jack, on bottom USB-C (video output, data, quick charge 5v), 5mpx cam on back with flash, 2mpx cam in front, volume rocker and lock screen on right leading edge of phone. Speaker position is yet to be decided, but likely on the back of case as shown in the render. The back cover of the phone is treated plastic.
The production phone will have a 6" LCD; the display is behind fused tempered glass.

[Image: EXRurgy.png]
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thumbs Up 
(02-22-2019, 04:20 AM)Luke Wrote: This is the likely look of the PinePhone when it comes out (some changes likely).
Very nice! Kinda like the Nexus 5 but with more rounded corners. If you can load stock Android (or something similar which is freely available) onto it, and the camera does not suck, I'll want it! Smile
(02-22-2019, 05:48 AM)dumetrulo Wrote:
(02-22-2019, 04:20 AM)Luke Wrote: This is the likely look of the PinePhone when it comes out (some changes likely).
Very nice! Kinda like the Nexus 5 but with more rounded corners. If you can load stock Android (or something similar which is freely available) onto it, and the camera does not suck, I'll want it! Smile

Plenty of Android phones at a similar price point. The point of choosing this SOC and all the particular bits and pieces is so that it can run mainline Linux phone OS'. That said, I'm sure you'll be able to load android on it

Very nice! Thanks for the update. Been refreshing this page nearly daily for any new postings and news! (Especially interested in the Pinebook Pro)
Read the fosdem post.

Really intereted in pinebook pro, pinephone and pinetab.

Would definitely buy pinebook pro ad phone to beta test manjaro and purism os.

I have been waiting for pinebook since few months but still no update.
Hope pinebook pro is coming very soon.
Manjaro ARM Team.
Devices: Pinebook Pro & PinePhone.
Will the Quectel modem be user replaceable if not it is going to be impossible for us people from Europe to use the Pinephone because it lacks the most important LTE and 3G bands.Is the modem going to be soldered or not?

The Quectel modem will be solder to maintain the slim 8.5mm thickness. Why is impossible for Europe user to use Pinephone and please pinpoint the issues instead of broad statement.
Whoa, that's pretty nice looking. I wonder what the price is going to be? I'm not sure I'd replace my phone with it, but it could be handy as a second device. If it's running Linux, it should have more freedom than my android device. Can you pop off the back cover and replace the battery, or is it sealed and hard to replace like most modern phones? I'm taking for granted that we'll have access to a MicroSD card slot as well.
(02-25-2019, 11:00 AM)nyxxenator Wrote: Whoa, that's pretty nice looking. I wonder what the price is going to be? I'm not sure I'd replace my phone with it, but it could be handy as a second device. If it's running Linux, it should have more freedom than my android device. Can you pop off the back cover and replace the battery, or is it sealed and hard to replace like most modern phones? I'm taking for granted that we'll have access to a MicroSD card slot as well.

The price will be approx $150. The OS it will ship with will likely be Ubuntu Touch, running mainline kernel (current development uses 5.0 rc). The battery will be user replaceable - privacy switches will also be located under the back-cover. Yes, there is a mSD slot that can be used for storage, but its also bootable in case you want to try out a build without erasing eMMC.

I hadn't given much thought to the mobile phone, sorry. But reading the lastest posts, I wonder, what "Play store" would apps come from? My assumption is that relying on Linux/Ubuntu, apps should be expected to care more about privacy issues. I assume I may be wrong, though.

Eg. Cam scanner is a very popular Android app. However, it has raised security issues attention should be put to. So, would we have an alternative in Linux/Ubuntu?

I understand app development and availability is a bit of an off-topic question, but at the same time it is a question that may have a weight in the balance.

Regards,

Please, kindly clarify.

Regards,

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk
(02-25-2019, 11:36 AM)vg8020 Wrote: I hadn't given much thought to the mobile phone, sorry. But reading the lastest posts, I wonder, what "Play store" would apps come from? My assumption is that relying on Linux/Ubuntu, apps should be expected to care more about privacy issues. I assume I may be wrong, though.

Eg. Cam scanner is a very popular Android app. However, it has raised security issues attention should be put to. So, would we have an alternative in Linux/Ubuntu?

I understand app development and availability is a bit of an off-topic question, but at the same time it is a question that may have a weight in the balance.

Regards,

Please, kindly clarify.

Regards,

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

I think that this is a question you're best of asking UBPorts or other partner projects working on the phone.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  December Community News Discussion Luke 2 7,458 01-19-2021, 04:48 PM
Last Post: zer0sig
  July Community Update discussion Luke 49 67,776 08-04-2020, 02:31 AM
Last Post: agD0i7rY
  February community update discussion Luke 0 3,374 02-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Last Post: Luke
  FOSDEM 2020 and New Hardware Luke 0 4,692 02-03-2020, 10:40 AM
  We'll be at FOSDEM 2020 Luke 6 12,431 02-03-2020, 02:20 AM
Last Post: DrYak
  January Community Update discussion Luke 10 15,343 01-17-2020, 09:56 AM
Last Post: ecs
  December Community Update discussion thread Luke 11 18,758 12-18-2019, 12:54 PM
Last Post: soupbowl
  RockPro64 and Pine H64 Discussion Thread Luke 85 149,593 02-13-2019, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Bullet64
Star FOSDEM 2019 Blog! Pinebook Pro, PinePhone Dev Kits and much more! Luke 1 172,637 02-11-2019, 04:40 PM
  PINE64 FOSDEM dinner, sat 3 Feb @ 8PM tllim 8 14,648 02-09-2018, 09:03 PM
Last Post: tllim