Skype and Hangouts
They said they would embed Universal Video Class driver in the next Android image which was supposed to be released in the 1st week of May. Nothing yet.

If they incorporate the specific driver to Android and Remix OS, then any USB camera should be natively recognized by the device. Hope it won't take long as these are absolute BASIC features even for beginners...
(05-05-2016, 01:48 PM)g_t_j Wrote: They said they would embed Universal Video Class driver in the next Android image which was supposed to be released in the 1st week of May. Nothing yet.

If they incorporate the specific driver to Android and Remix OS, then any USB camera should be natively recognized by the device. Hope it won't take long as these are absolute BASIC features even for beginners...

UVC driver already integrated onto the next Android image and works well. I still hold on to this release due to one minor issue. Once resolved in 24 hours time, I will spend my Saturday time (California) to upload the new Android image. Hopefully this still consider as fulfill the 1st week of May delivery as promised.
(05-05-2016, 03:02 PM)tllim Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 01:48 PM)g_t_j Wrote: They said they would embed Universal Video Class driver in the next Android image which was supposed to be released in the 1st week of May. Nothing yet.

UVC driver already integrated onto the next Android image and works well. I still hold on to this release due to one minor issue. Once resolved in 24 hours time, I will spend my Saturday time (California) to upload the new Android image. Hopefully this still consider as fulfill the 1st week of May delivery as promised.

This is very important and it's great that it's finally resolved!

Now the only thing is with HDMI: To be able to choose resolution manually as one of my boards is planned to be used with a standard HD TV (720p).
(05-05-2016, 03:34 PM)g_t_j Wrote:

Now the only thing is with HDMI: To be able to choose resolution manually as one of my boards is planned to be used with a standard HD TV (720p).

Also resolved, the new build able to select either 720p or 1080p. The minor issue that I mentioned is related to 720p boot up screen. BTW, the screen adjustment issue also resolved on this new build. Another new item that improvement on the new build is new mac address assignment scheme that ensure no duplicated mac address been generated and every board can automatically generated its new own mac address in Android and Remix build. Hopefully this new mac address assignment can adopted by Linux build.
(05-05-2016, 03:41 PM)tllim Wrote:
(05-05-2016, 03:34 PM)g_t_j Wrote:

Also resolved, the new build able to select either 720p or 1080p. The minor issue that I mentioned is related to 720p boot up screen. BTW, the screen adjustment issue also resolved on this new build. Another new item that improvement on the new build is new mac address assignment scheme that ensure no duplicated mac address been generated and every board can automatically generated its new own mac address in Android and Remix build. Hopefully this new mac address assignment can adopted by Linux build.

That's very nice. These improvements make the coming build the first real worthwhile release IMO. 
That thing with MAC address is also very important as now I suppose it will be much easier to obtain a static IP and work stably.
Well, the new 5/5 build is better. But Skype with video still isn't working. It does detect my camera now and I see video at first. But as soon as Skype connects the camera shuts off and the image freezes. I'm also not getting any audio from the other end even though I am getting sounds from skype (though that could have been an issue from the person I was connecting with.)

I did get an error from skype saying google services needed to be updated, and when I tried to do that play gave an error df-dla-15 so I'm going to look into that and try to get google services updated then try Skype again.
Same with me. Although USB camera is recognized by other apps, on skype it crashes soon after the other side answers to my call. I am able to see the other side but no sound.
Same here I hooked up my Logitech C920 pro usb webcam and it works fine with other programs and Skype does recognize it but as soon as I connect with anyone on Skype it either looses connection with in like 30 seconds or it's really low quality video to the point they can't even tell what they are looking at and I also get no sound either from my end or the other persons. I really hope this gets fixed because I would love to give this to my parents so they can Skype from their Living room TV instead of their phone or laptop.
I'm experimenting with using the Logitech c920 webcam on Pine 64 with 2GB of RAM. I tried different Android images and I got some interesting results.

android-ver5.1.1-20161208-pine64-32GB.img.gz:
- camera works fine with Hangouts
- video message works in Skype, but calling drops the video after a few seconds
- the microphone doesn't work in any app, looks like it's missing the kernel driver for USB audio snd_usb_audio

The list of sound cards is missing the USB sound device:
Code:
# cat /proc/asound/cards                                  
0 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                     audiocodec
1 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                     sndhdmi

The snd_usb_audio was not build-in and was not available as a module:
Code:
# lsmod | grep snd_usb_audio
# ls /sys/module/ | grep snd_usb_audio

android-ver6.0-20170112-pine64-32GB.img.gz:
- Skype video message works, Skype call and Hangouts doesn't
- microphone doesn't work, although it has the kernel USB audio driver build-in

The USB sound card is present:
Code:
# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [C920           ]: USB-Audio - HD Pro Webcam C920
                     HD Pro Webcam C920 at usb-sunxi-ehci-1, high speed
1 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                     audiocodec
2 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                     sndhdmi

android-6.0-pine-a64-tv-v1.0.1-r20.img.gz and android-7.0-pine-a64-tv-v1.11.0-r67.img.gz:
- no Skype video message, no Hangouts video
- microphone doesn't seem to work, even though it has the necessary kernel USB audio driver build-in

android-7.1-pine-a64-v0.1.1-r2.img.gz
- video doesn't work at all
- microphone works, it has the kernel USB audio driver build-in

I've also fiddled around with the following files:
- /system/etc/camera.cfg - contains the configuration of the cameras
- /system/etc/audio_policy.conf - contains the configuration of the audio stack

Let me know if you have other suggestions.
(04-18-2017, 04:17 AM)kenjiru Wrote: I'm experimenting with using the Logitech c920 webcam on Pine 64 with 2GB of RAM. I tried different Android images and I got some interesting results.

android-ver5.1.1-20161208-pine64-32GB.img.gz:
- camera works fine with Hangouts
- video message works in Skype, but calling drops the video after a few seconds
- the microphone doesn't work in any app, looks like it's missing the kernel driver for USB audio snd_usb_audio

The list of sound cards is missing the USB sound device:
Code:
# cat /proc/asound/cards                                  
0 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                     audiocodec
1 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                     sndhdmi

The snd_usb_audio was not build-in and was not available as a module:
Code:
# lsmod | grep snd_usb_audio
# ls /sys/module/ | grep snd_usb_audio

android-ver6.0-20170112-pine64-32GB.img.gz:
- Skype video message works, Skype call and Hangouts doesn't
- microphone doesn't work, although it has the kernel USB audio driver build-in

The USB sound card is present:
Code:
# cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [C920           ]: USB-Audio - HD Pro Webcam C920
                     HD Pro Webcam C920 at usb-sunxi-ehci-1, high speed
1 [audiocodec     ]: audiocodec - audiocodec
                     audiocodec
2 [sndhdmi        ]: sndhdmi - sndhdmi
                     sndhdmi

android-6.0-pine-a64-tv-v1.0.1-r20.img.gz and android-7.0-pine-a64-tv-v1.11.0-r67.img.gz:
- no Skype video message, no Hangouts video
- microphone doesn't seem to work, even though it has the necessary kernel USB audio driver build-in

android-7.1-pine-a64-v0.1.1-r2.img.gz
- video doesn't work at all
- microphone works, it has the kernel USB audio driver build-in

I've also fiddled around with the following files:
- /system/etc/camera.cfg - contains the configuration of the cameras
- /system/etc/audio_policy.conf - contains the configuration of the audio stack

Let me know if you have other suggestions.

Any update on this thread? I finally got around to hooking up my pine64 (no issues, android); connected a hdmi monitor, USB camera, launched skype, started a call - but the audio is not working either way. I cannot hear the other side, and they cannot hear me. The video feed is stable. I am using a Genius Full HD 1080p USB webcam which has built in microphone (both work with other devices).  
I am looking for pointers how to debug this, if there isn't a straight forward fix (e.g. it's the OS, it's the power supply)