Seedbox issues (rtorrent, rutorrent, autodl-irssi)
Hey guys, I received my Rock64 yesterday and started to setup my seedbox-NAS-gamebox setup.

I'm doing this in my raspberrypi pretty easily, but the networking is so limited that I decided to go with the Rock64.

However, I'm stuck pretty much at the beginning, since the seedbox part is not working.

I'm using the provided debian minimal image and I'm following debian tutorials for the rutorrent + rtorrent + autodl-irssi, but it's not working.
Example tutorials and tools I've used to this end before successfully: 
i) https://chooseneye.com/2018/03/install-r...-debian-9/
ii) https://github.com/arakasi72/rtinst
iii) https://jes.sc/kb/rTorrent-ruTorrent-Seedbox-Guide.php

Which guides are you following to setup a seedbox with rtorrent, rutorrent and autodl-irssi in the Rock64? 

Should I boot the bionic minimal image and follow Ubuntu guides?

Also, I noticed that some steps are extremely slow compared to the same procedures in the raspberry pi 3, such as the use of "make" command to build most recent versions of libtorrent and rtorrent. How can this be in a faster SoC?

If you guys have suggestions on a different approach I'm all ears. I haven't even got to the NAS part and I've read about in the forum that the samba performance is quite bad in Rock64. I'm considering going with OMV, but then I'd lose the gaming part and part of the the seedboxing advanced scriptiong.
(12-14-2018, 08:26 AM)va88 Wrote: Also, I noticed that some steps are extremely slow compared to the same procedures in the raspberry pi 3, such as the use of "make" command to build most recent versions of libtorrent and rtorrent. How can this be in a faster SoC?

I can't comment about rtorrent etc, as I don't use them, but for speeding up compiles do you tell it to use all cores? eg make -j4
(12-15-2018, 12:16 AM)evilbunny Wrote: I can't comment about rtorrent etc, as I don't use them, but for speeding up compiles do you tell it to use all cores? eg make -j4

I've heard of this argument, sounds useful. However, I noticed that the guides that ask you to build the applications with make are kind of overkill. Debian 9 and Ubuntu 18.04 already have packages for rtorrent and libtorrent for arm64 and armhf. Which brings another question, which architecture is best for these server applications?

I'm still struggling to make the seedbox part work, but I think I'm getting there...
Just an update.
Installed dietpi image and ran the rtinst script.
Many bugs emerged, but these were easier to solve: 1) I installed rtorrent afterwards with a simple "apt install"; 2) I had to manually create the systemd services; 3) I also had to install php-xml and unrar with "apt install" too.
The seedbox part seems to be working now.
I'll try the samba performance for the gigabit NAS next.
(12-15-2018, 07:01 AM)va88 Wrote: Just an update.
Many bugs emerged, but these were easier to solve: 1) I installed rtorrent afterwards with a simple "apt install"; 2) I had to manually create the systemd services; 3) I also had to install php-xml and unrar with "apt install" too.

some of the ayufan builds also have speed issues so you might want to check this issue:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/issues/263
(12-15-2018, 07:23 PM)evilbunny Wrote:
(12-15-2018, 07:01 AM)va88 Wrote: Just an update.

some of the ayufan builds also have speed issues so you might want to check this issue:

https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/issues/263

Now that you mention it, I had a huge issue with ipv6 in this board. I changed some settings to always prefer ipv4, since I was having loads of timeouts because of hanging ipv6 downloads. apt update would take minutes, apt upgrade even longer, a simple wget with ipv6 would timeout always.

So is this an issue with the SoC or with the linux images there are distributed in the wiki?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  USB3.0 Issues at DietPi(Armbian) #22.02.1 t4_4t 3 2,265 08-15-2022, 06:58 PM
Last Post: TRS-80
  csdr build issues. TravisH 0 1,937 02-19-2020, 04:47 AM
Last Post: TravisH
Rainbow USB3 Detection Issues When Booting Without USB Device Attached Dargmuesli 0 1,939 01-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Last Post: Dargmuesli
  Arch Linux USB3 Issues? decontainerized 4 7,552 07-25-2018, 04:39 AM
Last Post: cooker
  monitor setting & keyboard issues gpine1 2 3,304 05-27-2018, 03:51 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Eth0 dhcp issues LTronic 5 5,736 09-24-2017, 12:57 PM
Last Post: gene83