[Dec 07] DietPi(v6.18) - Pinebook / Manjaro KDE (preview3) / Manjaro LXQT (preview3) - Pinebook |[Dec 06] Armbian Debian Stretch (5.67) / Armbian Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Desktop (5.67) - RockPro64 |[Dec 05] DietPi(v6.18) - 1080P Pinebook | [Nov 28] Slackware Aarch64 Miniroot (20181126) / Slackware Aarch64 XFCE (20181126) - RockPro64 / Manjaro KDE (preview3) / Manjaro LXQT (preview3) /Q4OS (2.6-r6) - 1080P Pinebook

Project Inspiration | Get Started | IRC Logs | Forum Rules/Policy

System hang when login ubuntu desktop with NVMe SSD plugged
Sad 
Good day,

When I login Ubuntu desktop, the OS hanged and the PCIe slot power seemed turned off (NVMe SSD LED was off ).
If I unplug the NVMe SSD from the PCIe slot and boot into OS, it was successfully login into desktop and all was normal.

The NVMe SSD can be recognized and normally operated under Ubuntu OS without desktop.
The system would hang during booting or login after installing desktop (I have tried gnome、mate、lxde、xfce...).

I want to use NVMe SSD as my storage under desktop environment (GUI).
If any setting is necessary for installing desktop environment I lost ?
Any one has the same issue or can help with your experience ?

PS. The OS image is the latest release in wiki. The board is ROCKPro64 V2.1.

Thanks!
Strange - I have no problem with Openbox. It could be that I start from a minimal install - in other places seems the LXDE build has caused problems.

Also, did you follow Bullet64 instructions to set up the NVMe? No magic but may mention something you missed.
ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, SM961 128GB NVMe for rootfs, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse
Started Bionic minimal - now Cosmic, Openbox desktop for general purpose daily PC.
Yes, I have followed Bullet64 instructions to set up the NVMe, but it still failed.
If I remove NVMe SSD and rootfs on SD, it can successfully boot and login into gnome desktop.
If NVMe SSD is plugged and rootfs on SD or SSD, it would fail booting into desktop environment, but booting into command line mode would work normally.

Update: Slackware Aarch64 XFCE (ROCKPro64) works.
(12-07-2018, 02:15 AM)chiang404 Wrote: Update: Slackware Aarch64 XFCE (ROCKPro64) works.

Good that you have some progress. Sad that it indicates another problem starting from the LXDE build.
ROCKPro64 v2.1 2GB, SM961 128GB NVMe for rootfs, HDMI video & sound, Bluetooth keyboard & mouse
Started Bionic minimal - now Cosmic, Openbox desktop for general purpose daily PC.
I used Bionic minimal and installed kubuntu-desktop. It can successfully login and recognized NVMe SSD.
But install ubuntu-desktop or mate-desktop, the pcie slot power would be off and system hang when login to desktop.

Any one has the same issue ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation OMV over Ubuntu 18.04 LXDE Desktop Neo2018 11 584 12-02-2018, 03:53 PM
Last Post: Neo2018
  System boot from SSD with RockPro64. Tigger 4 1,218 05-26-2018, 12:27 AM
Last Post: Tigger