Chromium?
google drive has about 3 selections to be made to download. select the file, then next select download, then select download anyway. using synaptic package manager install gdebi with gui. then using gdebi install chromium. this package does load but has issues somewhere, i would guess it is a memory thing because using a 2GB pine64 it is very laggy/overloaded and although i appreciate the fellows efforts to build it, this chromium build is essentially unusable, of course your mileage may vary. i was curious if it was able to be used as a daily browser so i went thru the steps so i expect others may also be curious and if you do install it and figure out what is wrong please post the cure.
It says dependency is not satsifiable : libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14)
This is output error when trying to install suggested deb file
Edit: Installed chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb , and ran with suggested credentials. Work good. Youtube works perfect. If I try to run as it is installed it says no connection. Anyway it will do the job till next fixture.
Regards,
speaking of youtube on pine64 here is interesting experience
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFWXKDz0X1I
(07-07-2016, 02:29 AM)dkryder Wrote: google drive has about 3 selections to be made to download. select the file, then next select download, then select download anyway.  using synaptic package manager install gdebi with gui. then using gdebi install chromium. this package does load but has issues somewhere, i would guess it is a memory thing because using a 2GB pine64 it is very laggy/overloaded and although i appreciate the fellows efforts to build it, this chromium build is essentially unusable, of course your mileage may vary. i was curious if it was able to be used as a daily browser so i went thru the steps so i expect others may also be curious  and if you do install it and figure out what is wrong please post the cure.

That's completely the opposite of my experience. It's fine for daily use (heck, it's what I'm writing this reply on) for me, and I'm only using a 1 GB pine64.

Obviously you don't open a ton of tabs at once, and certain websites (mainly the ones that have tons of ads) you need to stay away from. But that's not a huge restriction.

zRam compression might help too; it certainly did in my case. You might even want to consider creating a swap device on a USB stick or something at least to allow you to completely avoid memory starvation.
(07-07-2016, 02:35 PM)janeku Wrote: It says dependency is not satsifiable : libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14)
Edit: Installed chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb , and ran with suggested credentials. Work good. Youtube works perfect. If I try to run as it is installed it says no connection. Anyway it will do the job till next fixture.
Regards,

Where can I get that chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb package? I'm getting the same error on my 2gb pine64 running the newest headless Debian image.

Edit: Nevermind, found the link to Chromium packages in an earlier post in this thread. ( http://repo.linaro.org/ubuntu/linaro-ove...m-browser/ )

Edit #2: 
Successfully installed! Here are the steps:
1. Download chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb from this page. (It's near the bottom of the list)
2. Open your terminal and cd into wherever it downloaded ( most likely `cd ~/Downloads` )
3. Run `sudo gdebi chro*` to install chromium along with its dependencies
4. Now you can run it whenever with `chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --disk-cache-size=200`

Optional: Make a shortcut alias command for `chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --disk-cache-size=200`
1. Run `alias chrome='chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --disk-cache-size=200'`
2. Now you can just run `chrome &` to boot up chrome in a background process with the required flag
Some with certainty insist no certainty exists.
(07-08-2016, 06:36 AM)barawn Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 02:29 AM)dkryder Wrote: google drive has about 3 selections to be made to download. select the file, then next select download, then select download anyway.  using synaptic package manager install gdebi with gui. then using gdebi install chromium. this package does load but has issues somewhere, i would guess it is a memory thing because using a 2GB pine64 it is very laggy/overloaded and although i appreciate the fellows efforts to build it, this chromium build is essentially unusable, of course your mileage may vary. i was curious if it was able to be used as a daily browser so i went thru the steps so i expect others may also be curious  and if you do install it and figure out what is wrong please post the cure.

That's completely the opposite of my experience. It's fine for daily use (heck, it's what I'm writing this reply on) for me, and I'm only using a 1 GB pine64.

Obviously you don't open a ton of tabs at once, and certain websites (mainly the ones that have tons of ads) you need to stay away from. But that's not a huge restriction.

zRam compression might help too; it certainly did in my case. You might even want to consider creating a swap device on a USB stick or something at least to allow you to completely avoid memory starvation.

I already create SWAP partition on my USB Flash drive and may i say it helps really. Yesterday it uses 19% of it size (1.7GB of Swap space). It was first thing I did after installing and running up Pine64 Smile
Now I see for solution to put cache folder for Chromium on my Flash also but credentials of flash are set very weird and i can't even change them. I can freely copy and paste files there but making cache work on it still did not succeedd.

(07-08-2016, 07:56 AM)Prophesi Wrote:
(07-07-2016, 02:35 PM)janeku Wrote: It says dependency is not satsifiable : libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14)
Regards,

Where can I get that chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb package? I'm getting the same error on my 2gb pine64 running the newest headless Debian image.

Edit: Nevermind, found the link to Chromium packages in an earlier post in this thread. ( http://repo.linaro.org/ubuntu/linaro-ove...m-browser/ )

Edit #2: 
Successfully installed! Here are the steps:
1. Download chromium_51.0.2704.63-2.2linarojessie1_arm64.deb from this page. (It's near the bottom of the list)
2. Open your terminal and cd into wherever it downloaded ( most likely `cd ~/Downloads` )
3. Run `sudo gdebi chro*` to install chromium along with its dependencies
4. Now you can run it whenever with `chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox`

Optional: Make a shortcut alias command for `chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox`
1. Run `alias chrome='chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox'`
2. Now you can just run `chrome &` to boot up chrome in a background process with the required flag

Yes indeed it works :Smile You may add  --disk-cache-size=<SIZE IN BYTES> to limit size of cache or try to forward cache directory with --disk-cache-dir=<PATH TO NEW CACHE DIR>
Personally I limited cache size to 200MB and I think it is enough for now.
I will try to forward new cache dir and see if it works.
Regards,
(07-08-2016, 02:18 PM)janeku Wrote:

to barawn/janeku,
i was running the build from  the google drive download by baryluk, chromium_50.0.2661.75-2_arm64.deb. my comments were specifically about that build. your experience is based on using a different build than the one i was commenting about. i invite you to download the google drive builds and test that and see what your experience is.
(07-08-2016, 02:36 PM)dkryder Wrote:

to barawn/janeku,
i was running the build from  the google drive download by baryluk, chromium_50.0.2661.75-2_arm64.deb. my comments were specifically about that build. your experience is based on using a different build than the one i was commenting about. i invite you to download the google drive builds and test that and see what your experience is.

I may say like I did before:
Downloading suggested file and trying to install results in error. It says dependency is not satsifiable : libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14)

Regards,
(07-08-2016, 02:41 PM)janeku Wrote:
(07-08-2016, 02:36 PM)dkryder Wrote:

to barawn/janeku,

I may say like I did before:
Downloading suggested file and trying to install results in error. It says dependency is not satsifiable : libdbus-1-3 (>=1.9.14)

Regards,
libdbus-1-3_1.10.8-1 should be available on your build or a repository to install. you could use synaptic to search and then install. if not i think it would be in dbus package. this is FYI, not that i think you should do it. but, it is part of a significant inter-application messaging system.
Big Grin 
Big Grin  I confirm it works!!! Finally decent YouTube.

The command I used to run it was:

Code:
chromium --disable-seccomp-filter-sandbox --disk-cache-size=200

Thank you guys!!!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Midori and Chromium (52) Cannot open display DuMees 3 5,728 01-12-2017, 02:36 AM
Last Post: DuMees