reboot issue, hangs
(01-24-2019, 07:46 PM)40four Wrote: I'm using the newest ayufan ubuntu minimal as well. I see what you guys are saying ...
Code:
sudo systemctl reboot

appears to 'hang up' for me too. Bbut for some reason this appears to be shutting down the board completely, similar to
Code:
sudo shutdown now

Then I have to hard restart with the buttons or unplug/ plug in power supply. To be fair, I'm not well versed in all of the flavors of restarting from the command line, but for me
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
works, as does
Code:
sudo reboot
So I'd be curious if either of those commands work for you guys also. Might save you from doing any of the bash configuration stuff that has been mentioned.

I just learned few days ago that systemctl reboot, reboot and shutdown -r now should all work exactly the same way in systemd based distros (including Ubuntu 18.04, I guess openmediavault too). Similarly poweroff and shutdown now should work the same way. See: https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions...014#196014

In Ubuntu those commands should look like this (at least they do in my systems):
Code:
$ ls -l $(which reboot poweroff shutdown systemctl)
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 170320 Jan  9 17:11 /bin/systemctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Jan  9 17:11 /sbin/poweroff -> /bin/systemctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Jan  9 17:11 /sbin/reboot -> /bin/systemctl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root     14 Jan  9 17:11 /sbin/shutdown -> /bin/systemctl

$ for a in $(which reboot poweroff shutdown systemctl); do dpkg -S $a; done
systemd-sysv: /sbin/reboot
systemd-sysv: /sbin/poweroff
systemd-sysv: /sbin/shutdown
systemd: /bin/systemctl

In that sense it's curious if those reboot commands work differently. systemd has a ton of man pages and I'm too lazy right now read read them so there may be a devil in somewhere in details. I remember having some problems with reboot myself too but haven't experienced them lately. Then again I haven't been rebooting by boards that often any more.

systemd debugging page has some useful tips to try if experiencing hang during poweroff and/or reboot. See https://freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/sy.../#index2h1
In a nutshell:
  • Wait at least 5 minutes to distinguish a permanent hang from a broken service. Then try CTRL+ALT+DEL and see if systems reacts in any way.
  • If it's permanently stuck try reboot -f or poweroff -f. If they don't work it's more likely to be a kernel, not systemd bug.
  • If shutdown completes eventually try systemd debugging (see link above, be careful when modifying kernel command line parameters or you'll get non-booting system)

EDIT: About an hour later I figured out why I haven't experienced reboot problems as of late: I've running myRP64s with eMMC. I just tried rebooting with SD-card and it didn't work even once (tried about 10 times). I think it may have hanged once in shutdown but all other tries failed when trying to boot showing this in serial console:
Code:
pmugrf_os_reg[2] = 0x3AA1FAA1, stride = 0xD
OUT
U-Boot SPL board init

U-Boot SPL 2017.09-rockchip-ayufan-1035-gd646df03ac (Oct 26 2018 - 08:36:09)
booted from SD
Trying to boot from MMC2
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
(full boot + reboot log pastebin: https://pastebin.com/4RPFk8FA)

Maybe people familiar with U-Boot can tell what's going on here.
(01-26-2019, 03:54 AM)nuumio Wrote: EDIT: About an hour later I figured out why I haven't experienced reboot problems as of late: I've running myRP64s with eMMC. I just tried rebooting with SD-card and it didn't work even once (tried about 10 times). I think it may have hanged once in shutdown but all other tries failed when trying to boot showing this in serial console:
Code:
pmugrf_os_reg[2] = 0x3AA1FAA1, stride = 0xD
OUT
U-Boot SPL board init

U-Boot SPL 2017.09-rockchip-ayufan-1035-gd646df03ac (Oct 26 2018 - 08:36:09)
booted from SD
Trying to boot from MMC2
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###
(full boot + reboot log pastebin: https://pastebin.com/4RPFk8FA)

Maybe people familiar with U-Boot can tell what's going on here.

That's odd because I am running an eMMC module and have the problem and in fact the ONLY time I ever got it to reboot fine was with the Armbian image on microSD card.   I never investigated it further because I had no plans to use and SD card.  At the time I chalked it up to being Armbian (since I had been using the Bionic image before that) but once Armbian was on the eMMC it refused to reboot.

Having said that I'm 99% sure I had upgraded the kernel and added fanctl prior reboot attempts so it could very well be an issue with the kernel or fanctl service.  I had to make a drive change and a full refresh of the eMMC card today so I plan on doing a bunch of testing to see if I can narrow the issue down any more.
Here is the results of my tests:

I used both Armbian 5.75 and Bionic minimal 0.7.9. Fresh flashed to Sandisk 16GB microSD and my 32GB eMMC module.

eMMC:
Bionic will not reboot. Power and Reset buttons have no effect, must pull power and replug to get board back.
Armbian will not reboot. Reset button DOES restart the board.

microSD:
Bionic will not reboot. Reset button DOES restart the board.
Armbian reboots fine, no issues despite multiple attempts with and without SATA card etc.

I don't know what to make of these results. The reset button working is a new (and happy) twist as it never worked with the prior versions of Bionic and Armbian on eMMC. It's very interesting that Armbian on eMMC acts just like Bionic on SD while Armbian on SD has zero issues.

Bionic on eMMC continuing to require physical power removal to reboot plus it's propensity to randomly get SATA controller errors (never once replicated with Armbian) pretty much knocks it out of any chance of being used.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux reboot command dont' restart davide.duca 2 4,091 03-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
Question How to automatically reboot rockpro64 in case it shutdown abruptly ? seaurchin 2 3,950 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  RockPro64 not coming online after reboot imapc99 5 7,260 08-04-2019, 01:34 AM
Last Post: imapc99
  login to GUI desktop hangs when PCIe SSD is plugged in grimace 3 5,116 04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Hardware issue overheating while booting and fail to boot DIDquest 13 15,355 03-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Last Post: nJoy.
  Performance issue/question bobdaroze 8 11,111 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v