reboot issue, hangs
Running ayufan 18.04 bionic on rock64pro.  (NAS BOX SETUP)

I am having trouble rebooting the machine remotely from ssh.

I've tried a few different flavors of reboot command and made sure there was no "power management" feature turned on that could cause the reboot to hang.

sudo systemctl reboot

Has anyone had the same issue and come up with a fix.

It's likely some shutdown process is hanging like unmounting somthing.... (which has happened on other distros and machines).  If I can't come up with a solution I guess I'll punt and hook a monitor up so I can maybe see what shutdown process it hangs on.
That's the problem

Code:
U-Boot SPL 2017.09-rockchip-ayufan-1025-g482cd6ec8b (Jul 26 2018 - 08:18:48)    
booted from SD                                                                  
Trying to boot from MMC2                                                        
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error                                
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices                                      
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###  

U-Boot SPL 2017.09-rockchip-ayufan-1033-gdf02018479 (Aug 06 2018 - 22:29:15)    
booted from SD                                                                  
Trying to boot from MMC2                                                        
mmc_load_image_raw_sector: mmc block read error                                
SPL: failed to boot from all boot devices                                      
### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###  

But i don't know why!? Dodgy
Sorry for any mistakes. English is not my native language

1. Quartz64 Model B, 4GB RAM

2. Quartz64 Model A, 4GB RAM

3. RockPro64 v2.1

https://linux-nerds.org/
[quote pid='42206' dateline='1542057553']
So the mmc has issues?  

If I press the reset button it will boot.  Or if I unplug it and then plug back it in boots.   Only this software reboot hangs

Guess I'll hook up monitor and keyboard to get a better handle on the what is hanging and report back.
[/quote]
(11-12-2018, 06:10 PM)dkebler Wrote: [quote pid='42206' dateline='1542057553']
So the mmc has issues?  

If I press the reset button it will boot.  Or if I unplug it and then plug back it in boots.   Only this software reboot hangs

Guess I'll hook up monitor and keyboard to get a better handle on the what is hanging and report back.

[/quote]
I've been having a very similar problem. Running OMV 4.X.  the reboot hangs whether SSH or logged in locally. So I have to fully power down. I cringe when I have to do this.
Big Grin 
(11-21-2018, 06:58 AM)BackWoodsTech Wrote: I've been having a very similar problem. Running OMV 4.X.  the reboot hangs whether SSH or logged in locally. So I have to fully power down. I cringe when I have to do this.

Seems I got it solved.

first remove the reboot program that came with the distro

Code:
which reboot | sudo rm

then try

Code:
sudo systemctl reboot

if that works for you like me then I suggest just making an alias in your .bash_aliases. That will give you a `reboot` command that works

Code:
alias reboot='sudo systemctl reboot'

I put a monitor on the nas box  and rebooted via ssh and now I don't see any hang on reboot  

still not 100% trusting to reboot from off site via ssh but at least it doesn't seem to hang anymore.   Confused
I'm having a similar problem where reboot, systemctl reboot or shutdown -r all shut the system down completely and power button and reset button do nothing. I have physically pull the power plug and plug it back in and it comes up fine.

Brand new RockPro64 I got today, Ubuntu 18.04 minimal. Continues to do this after moving to kernel 4.4.138-1094 (upgraded for so I can use ATS for fan control) as well.

I'm booting from an eMMC module but I do have the NAS case and two 2.5" drives installed (one SSD, one HDD) and I'm wondering if it's a load issue. I can hear my HDD still spinning even with the power LED off (green LED at power plug on).
(12-07-2018, 12:29 AM)Belakor Wrote: I'm having a similar problem where reboot, systemctl reboot or shutdown -r all shut the system down completely and power button and reset button do nothing.   I have physically pull the power plug and plug it back in and it comes up fine.

Brand new RockPro64 I got today, Ubuntu 18.04 minimal.   Continues to do this after moving to kernel 4.4.138-1094 (upgraded for so I can use ATS for fan control) as well.

I'm booting from an eMMC module but I do have the NAS case and two 2.5" drives installed (one SSD, one HDD) and I'm wondering if it's a load issue.   I can hear my HDD still spinning even with the power LED off (green LED at power plug on).

Did you solve the problem?

thanks
(01-22-2019, 11:36 AM)lestat70 Wrote: Did you solve the problem?

thanks

Not yet.  It does it regardless of OS.   ATM I'm running Armbian 5.7 (Debian Stretch base) as a container server and any reboot command hangs the board and I have to unplug power and replug for it to power up again.

TBH I haven't put much effort into solving the problem primarily because I rarely need/want to reboot it and if I use shutdown (instead of reboot) I can power it back up via the power button no problem.

It's certainly a strange problem.
I'm using the newest ayufan ubuntu minimal as well. I see what you guys are saying ...
Code:
sudo systemctl reboot

appears to 'hang up' for me too. Bbut for some reason this appears to be shutting down the board completely, similar to
Code:
sudo shutdown now

Then I have to hard restart with the buttons or unplug/ plug in power supply. To be fair, I'm not well versed in all of the flavors of restarting from the command line, but for me
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
works, as does
Code:
sudo reboot
So I'd be curious if either of those commands work for you guys also. Might save you from doing any of the bash configuration stuff that has been mentioned.
(01-24-2019, 01:55 PM)Belakor Wrote:
(01-22-2019, 11:36 AM)lestat70 Wrote: Did you solve the problem?

thanks

Not yet.  It does it regardless of OS.   ATM I'm running Armbian 5.7 (Debian Stretch base) as a container server and any reboot command hangs the board and I have to unplug power and replug for it to power up again.

TBH I haven't put much effort into solving the problem primarily because I rarely need/want to reboot it and if I use shutdown (instead of reboot) I can power it back up via the power button no problem.

It's certainly a strange problem.

Thank you very much for your answer, I do not usually restart the sbc but it is annoying that when I want to do it, first I have to turn it off and then go physically to turn it on. If I'm not at home, that's a problem

(01-24-2019, 07:46 PM)40four Wrote: I'm using the newest ayufan ubuntu minimal as well. I see what you guys are saying ...
Code:
sudo systemctl reboot

appears to 'hang up' for me too. Bbut for some reason this appears to be shutting down the board completely, similar to
Code:
sudo shutdown now

Then I have to hard restart with the buttons or unplug/ plug in power supply. To be fair, I'm not well versed in all of the flavors of restarting from the command line, but for me
Code:
sudo shutdown -r now
works, as does
Code:
sudo reboot
So I'd be curious if either of those commands work for you guys also. Might save you from doing any of the bash configuration stuff that has been mentioned.

The same thing happens to me, the problem is that the board does not restart.

You can turn it off with the shutdown command and then turn it on physically with the button

I have tried the solution that appears in this thread, but it does not work for me, the board does not restart, it does not get to be completely turned off since I can hear how the discs keep turning.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux reboot command dont' restart davide.duca 2 4,091 03-11-2020, 03:15 PM
Last Post: dukla2000
Question How to automatically reboot rockpro64 in case it shutdown abruptly ? seaurchin 2 3,947 11-25-2019, 08:46 AM
Last Post: tophneal
  RockPro64 not coming online after reboot imapc99 5 7,259 08-04-2019, 01:34 AM
Last Post: imapc99
  login to GUI desktop hangs when PCIe SSD is plugged in grimace 3 5,116 04-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Last Post: Luke
  Hardware issue overheating while booting and fail to boot DIDquest 13 15,351 03-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Last Post: nJoy.
  Performance issue/question bobdaroze 8 11,109 11-11-2018, 10:41 PM
Last Post: tuxd3v