IPv6 autoconfig not working on new pinebook
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I'll try.

I got my new 1080p 11.6" pinebook yesterday, I'm typing this post on it. Fun.

It still has the OS it shipped with (don't even know what it's called).

IPv6 autoconfig is not working. I don't get a global address. It works on my Mac on the same networks (meaning I get a global address on it). I'm more of a BSD guy than Linux, so I'm probably missing something.

I wiresharked the router solicitation and advertisement. The solicitation is not the same as the Mac and I'm not sure if that matters. The advertisement from the router is the same one the Mac uses successfully though.

IPv6 does work, I can ping the link local address on other systems. Just no global address so I can get to the internet with IPv6.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Sadly I am not the right person to address your issue (someone with answers will likely show up soon), just here to comment that all major *BSDs are available for the Pinebook, since you mentioned you're more of a BSD guy. Most recant NetBSD can be found here.
You can find me on IRC, Discord and Twitter

Thanks.

Yeah there's some chatter on the NetBSD mailing list about the latest 1080p pinebook. I might try it on a microsd at some point.

I tried another thing. I used the GUI network configuration tool to add a static IPv6 address and it never showed up if I did ip a.

Something seems broken or not set to accept global addresses. Link local still works.
(11-08-2018, 10:55 PM)acruhl Wrote:  if I did ip a

I did the same, and nothing showed up so I did:

Code:
ip -6 ro

and my ipv6 address shows up but it isn't usable. I'm kinda stumped why it doesn't work properly though, usually it just works.
I see my 2 /64 prefixes which are coming from router advertisements, but not actual addresses.
This is a systemd bug (there are many for IPv6, btw). Not a great solution, but restarting systemd-networkd will get SLAAC working again. Oh, btw, you will need to do that after every sleep (gotta love systemd). I have created an alias to make things go faster.

# fix stupid systemd
alias 6fix='sudo systemctl restart systemd-networkd'
That doesn't work for me. Already tried it.

I started to dig into this but then gave up. I know it can work because my RPIs work fine. They are using dhcpcd which handles SLAAC. This one (KDE Neon) is using dhclient and some other stuff I haven't seen before.

IPv6 works on the Pinebook with NetBSD just fine.
Yeah, sorry, you have to enable _dhcp_ in the /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network file. Create the file and then restart systemd-networkd (as stated above) Here's that you need in the file:

[match]
Name=wlan0

[Network]
DHCP=yes

"Pv6 works on the Pinebook with NetBSD just fine. "

That's because NetBSD is smart enough to _NOT_ use systemd.
(11-18-2018, 12:14 PM)cvmiller Wrote: Yeah, sorry, you have to enable _dhcp_ in the /etc/systemd/network/wlan0.network file. Create the file and then restart systemd-networkd (as stated above) Here's that you need in the file:

[match]
Name=wlan0

[Network]
DHCP=yes

"Pv6 works on the Pinebook with NetBSD just fine. "

That's because NetBSD is smart enough to _NOT_ use systemd.

Wow look at that, global IPv6 works now... Thanks.

Maybe someone should do this when they package the OS? Is there somewhere to open a bug?
This seems to be an issue with systemd version 237 (which is what Neon KDE is running). It appears to be fixed in systemd v239 (which is in another image, forget which). You can see which version of systemd you are running by typing:

/lib/systemd/systemd --version

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dead Pinebook - fix it or spare parts? oloturia 2 2,209 03-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Last Post: oloturia
  Broken bottom case of PineBook 14 Mick 1 920 02-22-2023, 05:49 AM
Last Post: Mick
  Original 14" Pinebook an Orphan? vdicarlo 2 1,259 01-05-2023, 10:42 AM
Last Post: jezek
  Pinebook Users are a nobody leperotero 13 12,593 09-06-2022, 09:29 PM
Last Post: zapper
  Does anybody repair pinebook pro laptops for a fee? Tsvi Bar-David 0 957 09-05-2022, 07:49 PM
Last Post: Tsvi Bar-David
  Pinebook with a broken screen and 2 eMMC's for sale. UK ONLY. frank-zappa 0 1,596 03-08-2022, 10:14 AM
Last Post: frank-zappa
  Pinebook to Pinebook Pro-esque upgrade kit sebboh 5 7,499 08-18-2021, 11:01 PM
Last Post: Corkonian
  new pinebook help ron_burgundy 5 7,686 12-17-2020, 04:54 PM
Last Post: ron_burgundy
  Few questions about flashing to a MicroSD card on the Pinebook Pro SanjevR 6 9,609 12-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Last Post: SanjevR
  TOR Browser on the Pinebook Pro jay3gg 0 2,975 11-16-2020, 01:25 AM
Last Post: jay3gg