Need help installing Android on RockPro64
I've tried every method that I could find to install Android on my RockPro64 but so far nothing has worked. It's always the same thing. I flash an image to my emmc or an SD card, put it in my RockPro64 and then it just does nothing, doesn't boot no matter how long I give it. 

I just tried nlem'smethod where you flash from SD to emmc on the board itself and that didn't work. I tried that with the Android 8.1 dd image from: http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...roid_8.1.0

Can someone who has Android working on the RockPro64 tell me specifically what they did to get it installed and working? I hate to give up on things like this but I'm just out of ideas at this point.

Some extra info: Every other image that I've tried has worked, just not Android. I've tried it on an 8GB SD card and on a 64GB emmc. Whenever I do flash it to anything it shows there's no partitions on the SD card or emmc, I'm not sure if that's normal or not. The extracted image file is about 7.2GB in size and most of it is empty data when I look at it in a hex editor. I guess that's how it's supposed to be. I've tried extracting it in multiple ways on both Windows and Linux.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Sounds very similar to the issue ive been having with rock64 and trying to get android to work. I was able to get android 7.1 sd to emmc to work but thats atv and i hate it. None of the others seem to work, I just created my own post asking about what I am doing wrong.
I'm actually happy to see that I'm not alone.

I would like someone just to say. "I did this and that and then booted into Android." even if it was something simple that I've already tried. At least that would tell me something,  like that my board is defective or something.
(10-26-2018, 07:57 PM)Pitcrawler Wrote: I'm actually happy to see that I'm not alone.

I would like someone just to say. "I did this and that and then booted into Android." even if it was something simple that I've already tried. At least that would tell me something,  like that my board is defective or something.

Sadly so far my research all seems to say that the atv ones will boot and the regular ones wont. I am really hoping someone responds to our posts with some help or maybe a image from somewhere else that will boot.
It wouldnt boot for me until i removed sdcard so it only had emmc attached.
(10-27-2018, 02:43 PM)its-pointless Wrote: It wouldnt boot for me until i removed sdcard so it only had emmc attached.

Does that mean you got a normal non tv version of android to work?
(10-27-2018, 02:43 PM)its-pointless Wrote: It wouldnt boot for me until i removed sdcard so it only had emmc attached.

Can you tell me the steps that you went through, if you remember them?
Specifically:
What android image did you use?
What program did you use to extract the .img file and in what operating system?
What did you use to write the image to the emmc, and in what operating system?
(10-28-2018, 10:20 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:

Specifically:
Bump.

Can anyone answer these three questions, anyone at all who got Android working on the RockPro64? I'm just trying to make sure I didn't overlook something simple.

Thanks.
(11-02-2018, 08:27 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:

Specifically:
Bump.

Can anyone answer these three questions, anyone at all who got Android working on the RockPro64? I'm just trying to make sure I didn't overlook something simple.

Thanks.

I recently ordered  a rockpro64 for Android use, but it's currently working it's way through the mail, so I don't yet have any hands on experience with one, but I do android.

When you say it doesn't boot, is it boot looping (booting, failing, then restarting)?, stuck on the same screen? Or does the screen stay blank? What display do you have hooked up to it?

Have you tried playing with the jumper settings? http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...ge#Jumpers

What hardware is hooked up to the board when you try booting it in Android? Have you tried booting it with just, the board, the storage, and a display?

Hoping these questions might help you trouble shoot.
(11-02-2018, 03:52 PM)netsplit Wrote:
(11-02-2018, 08:27 AM)Pitcrawler Wrote:

Specifically:
Bump.

Thanks.

I recently ordered  a rockpro64 for Android use, but it's currently working it's way through the mail, so I don't yet have any hands on experience with one, but I do android.

When you say it doesn't boot, is it boot looping (booting, failing, then restarting)?, stuck on the same screen? Or does the screen stay blank? What display do you have hooked up to it?

Have you tried playing with the jumper settings? http://wiki.pine64.org/index.php/ROCKPro...ge#Jumpers

What hardware is hooked up to the board when you try booting it in Android? Have you tried booting it with just, the board, the storage, and a display?

Hoping these questions might help you trouble shoot.

It just does nothing. The white led light showing that it's booting something doesn't come on. As far as I remember, I've tried it just connected to a tv via the HDMI cable. I've tried it with an emmc and an sd card. I've tried the various different images. I didn't know about the jumper settings, but I have been able to boot just about all the other images from both emmc and SD card ok without having to change those.

I may take another look at some point to make sure I've tried every combination of things you've described. I did notice one strange thing with another image, even though that image didn't actually work, the white led light would only come on if I had the ethernet cable disconnected. That might be one possibility.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Difficulty installing Android on Rockpro64 spammycheese 0 2,688 02-17-2023, 05:31 AM
Last Post: spammycheese
  Using Android and the Playstore grobbs 0 2,595 06-04-2022, 12:18 AM
Last Post: grobbs
  Android TV miguelangelaj 2 2,888 06-03-2022, 11:23 AM
Last Post: miguelangelaj
  Control Fan in Android miguelangelaj 2 2,368 06-03-2022, 11:22 AM
Last Post: miguelangelaj
  Slash TV Android for RockPro64 Wizzard 12 10,792 04-24-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Rocklobster
  DRM support in Android Wizzard 2 2,616 02-03-2022, 09:16 PM
Last Post: Johnmo89
  Install Playstore on Android 8.1.0 Domo 14 24,505 04-16-2021, 02:13 AM
Last Post: Wizzard
  Install Playstore on Android 7.1.2 Domo 6 13,833 04-16-2021, 02:10 AM
  Kodi crashing in Android 9 Wizzard 2 3,936 04-16-2021, 02:03 AM
  Install Playstore on Android 9 image ddimension 18 27,494 02-13-2021, 12:52 AM
Last Post: chisteven